food grade buckets?? help

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by CANDY fISHER, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Get your magnifying glass and check the ingredients on the package.... see any oils listed on the package and your nanners are fried before being dehydrated.
    I'd return that dehydrator you bought and take some photos of the money you pitched to the wind buying organic tomatoes when their product went up in smoke. That was like the 1st time you used it and something's really wrong. I was actually given a Nesco dehydrator last year to get me jump started because a friend of mine upgraded to an Excaliber and I never got a chance to use it.... one of our cats chewed on the cord.... while it was plugged in and it fried out. Ours ended up tossed on the patio so I know how fast we can move when something electric starts smoking. I don't know with your lifestyle if its worth it to go for the Excaliber when the Nesco unit seems to work perfectly fine. I think the unit I've got is more for the folk who are gonna be putting up a boatload of produce. That Nesco unit was what they were using in the one class I went to and my friend was using hers for a year dehydrating her tomatoes and odds and ends she got on sale from the store. And.... I'm not way ahead of you.... I've just got more lumps to my credit because I've had more time to screw up than you've had. I don't know what to say about getting your fireplace opened up other than I hope somebody didn't close it up with concrete or you're totally screwed.

2. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Say CANDY.... hold off on doing potatoes for a bit. I think I just mastered those. In the next coupla weeks I'm going to buy another 20# of potatoes to dehydrate. I'll use my camera while I'm dehydrating for a blow by blow then throw together an EQ dehydrates potatoes with those teeny tiny details everyone assumes we know that you can follow. I actually think I've got potatoes down pat as of today. Now all I'll have to "tweak" is grapes, blueberries, and bananas. I've got an idea for the grapes and blueberries but it's kinda off the wall so I'm gonna try it first. The bananas.... still working on those.

3. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

Decided today, no dehydrator, Im buying all I can from costco and mylar bagging it. I love there hash browns! I made out my list for essentials.com, $6,000 so far LOL
    I even added a 1 year MRE to the package. ( 4 of us times the 1 year package is 3 months foods for us 4) total food for a family of 4 = 1 year and 3 months. I will be working on the next year all through out the coming months. I know that the cost of the organic foods is so high priced, but if I can find some at my 90 miles away food co-op I will buy it there dehydrated already. I may invest in a neco but am not to ambitious at this point in time.

4. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

Im working on the other stuff, heaters, colman fuels batterys etc. busy day today :)

5. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I agree with you having first hand experience with how long it takes to prepare foods properly for dehydration. I just don't think working full time and parenting solo combined with dehydrating foods that can currently be purchased already dehydrated for a pantry makes sense. There's only one little you and you won't get far going in 10 different directions. Prioritization has been hard for me too since I figured out we were the frog in the pot a little bit late. I do think you should return the unit and request a refund. That money could be put to better use elsewhere for sure.

6. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

Guess what?? the guy was awesome and he said he was pleased I did not ream him lol. he gave me back 119.00 and he is sending a new dehydrator. I assured him no I do not want that one, he is sending me a new delux one ( 189.99 ) he said these were better and had timers on them. well I did not argue, I just wanted my money back. so I got my money back and a new dehydrator. I will sell that one LOL . I will buy an Excalibur when I can. so it was a great day!!
    and I am late to this game to hon, I did wonderful for Y2K but when that ended I went back to sleep. UGH Im so silly. I had tons but used it all over the last 11 years, so now Im back to square one to :)

7. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

OMG.... I'm so glad that "hon" slipped out. I'm a honey and sweetie to everyone.... it's just me and I didn't used to feel bad about it but... I do here with so many men. I try to catch myself.... try but.... doesn't always work. You know something.... we don't even ream our own kids so I'd never ream some poor person over the phone let alone in public. You done good! I'm just glad you got your money back. You can always sell the deluxe unit on eBay once you receive it.... I wouldn't hang onto it if your intent is to unload it. Just price it $20 under everyone else and it'll go. I never planned anything for Y2K.... I never had any little voices compelling me to act. I recall my husband and I going to sleep at the normal time that night sorta chuckling about all the people we knew who had spent thousands stockpiling. Funny.... now I have little voices telling me something is really wrong and we're the ones starting a pantry and we're the ones working on having access to a water supply and nobody we know who prepared for Y2K is preparing for even a natural disaster like Katrina. Actually.... you're the first person I've run into. Better safe than sorry but I can't help but wonder how many folk were "desensitized" by Y2K hype? You know.... feeling as if they were "had" so they're ignoring their little voices this time.

8. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

I say " hon to everyone LOL it drives my mom nuts but I am that way.
    Y2K was hard, I stocked for 7 people because my son his nutty wife mom dad and a few others thought I was nuts. I bought it all. and I saw afterwards people selling there foods on ebay. it went like crazy and yep some were saying they were glad that was over and that they would not do it ever again. Now look at me, at it again LOL. I could kick my self though, I gave away this lamp to my brother and his nutty wife, and its now 3 times the price I paid for it
    [​IMG]

only mine was brass and I loved it. it was super bright. now I do not have it and need to get another one. I also gave them the 10 mantles i had for it UGH

9. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Mantles? Ten whats? You lost me. Did you mean candles.... as in 10 candles? I've got a small collection of whale oil lamps that I picked up at garage sales back before we had kids when I actually had time to go looking for bargains and I've seen people convert those to the equivalent of hurricane lamps.... why... I don't know. They're so beautiful and functional in their own right without tinkering with them. I didn't think any of our friends stockpiling for Y2K were nuts and certainly not off their rockers.... just not thinking it through based on their extravagant purchases was all. But then.... consider the number the media did on everyone's head running around playing chicken little the sky is falling to the max. A few started boosting the economy by "consuming" Y2K goods in anticipation of the big roll over then.... the herd mentality set in and before I knew it.... it had became "trendy" comparing notes with others about what was purchased for the day after the computers failed us. I know people who went on thousand dollar spending sprees that would whip out their receipts to prove they had all the necessities. It was pretty wild so I steered clear of those "friendly" competitions. I will admit to filling up my gas tank the day before.... just in case.

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

EQ, Look at Candy's Lamp Picture... That is an Aladdin Kerosene Lamp that uses a Mantel, the same way a Colman Gasoline Camp Lamp uses a Mantel.These are the BEST fueled Kerosene lamps, available on the market today, and since the early 1900s. We used Aladdin Lamps, here, up until we installed the Inverter/Battery Charger System and CFLs in the early 90s.

11. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Ohhhh.... big oopsie and there it was right in front of my face. That is more like one of our camping lamps. It did look like a metal oil lamp to me at first glance since I wasn't paying attention to the photo. You know.... we've had this type of lamp for at least 20 years and we've been using them for trips. Ours have handles and aren't as attractive as hers but they were the same type kerosene lamps. Anywhooo... I'd never heard the word mantle before associated with a kerosene lamp. Fireplace mantel.... I was familiar with but not a kerosene lamp mantle. I learned something new.... again.

12. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

The alladdin lamp is top knotch, its as bright as light bulb! there costly but well worth it. the mantle makes it super bright. I want one again, as you get quality when you buy quality. That lamp was beautiful to.

13. golem3

golem3 Monkey+

What sizes are most common for frosting buckets from bakeries? I know I'd like some 5 or 6 gallon buckets, but could really use some smaller ones too. What is the "standard" size, if there is one?

14. BTPost

90% are 5 USG Pails.... in most Institutional, and Industrial food operations...

15. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

golem3> The frosting buckets I've been able to get my hands on for free are 2 gallons. I've been picking them up from WalMart and from a bakery. They're about 9.5" high with a diameter of about the same. They all have raised lettering on the bottoms that state ROPAK followed by RO25 NRC50 with a #5 recycling symbol on the bottom of the bucket. I've been picking up the 3.5 gallon buckets from delis. They use them for pickles and the bottoms have raised lettering stating PARAGON followed by 065NRC and a #2 recycling symbol. Like BTPOst said.... probably upwards of 90% are 5 gallon. Frosting and I've just learned gravy buckets... are evidently one of the exceptions. I'm sure there are a few more exceptions. Just an aside but.... I have no clue what they're use to make the frosting that goes in those buckets. I've had to buy liquid Dawn Dish detergent to "unslime" them.
    --
    Here's your recycling codes, http://www.plasticfreebottles.com/pdf/Understanding-Plastic-Codes.pdf
    2, 4, and 5.... assumed safe by most.

16. BTPost

RoPak is the outfit that we get ALL our Salmon Roe packaging from. They make really good stuff, for Food Grade Packaging. To bad you folks are so far away. We have hundreds of 5USG Pails just sitting around, taking up space, because it cost us MONEY, to get rid of these, when they are empty....

17. sweetdixie

sweetdixie Monkey+

asked at wally world the other day, they told me that they were told not to give them away anymore, send them back to be recylced........ are the walton's going broke?????

18. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

I was told the same thing, but did find the mom and pop fast food resturant had plenty. I have used 20 already and will be getting 20 more this week. I have lots of foods in the freezers ready to mylar this week. makes me all gigly inside LOL

19. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

They're still setting them aside for me. I just picked up 3 more yesterday. One was a 5-gallon used for some sort of Spred n Gloss Dipping Frosting. Had to have been chocolate of some sort.

20. Skye

Skye Monkey+

I work for a Walmart bakery, and that is where I get my buckets. They'll charge you between $1-$5, but it's convenient for me.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7