food grade buckets?? help

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by CANDY fISHER, Jan 22, 2011.

1. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

I get all mine now at Pork chop johns, they have hundreds! charging 1.00 a bucket :) I have gone through 20 in 2 weeks, will be getting 40 more this coming week. Im also now putting my tuna in them and my jars of sauces. seems to me I save tons of room now. all those jars and cans take up room and Im limited right now. so into the bucket they go, seems now I can fit 18 jars of spagetti sauce in a bucket, Im loving that! I put the glass items on the bottom in case of earth quakes :)

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have been using the grey buckets from Lowes marked with a 2 for bulk grain storage. I put a chunk of dry-ice on top of the grain to displace the oxygen with CO2 and seal the lids with silicone sealant. I have only opened one of them after a couple years storage; it seems fine. Do I need to expect problems with this?

3. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

Some say yes and some say no .I have done this many years now and have had no problems .
    I found that the Chinese Restaurants will give you the buckets and most of them have the rubber seal ,I get the ones from the soy sauce and they all have the rubber seal .(y)

4. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

My husband just got me some today from Home Depot. They are food safe #2s and they cost $3.99 each, I think. Plus he paid with the biz account, so it doesn't hurt me any. LOL

My wholesale food distributors sells them for $4.80 each and that was the best price I had found yet. So happy he went down there. Now if I can just get my mylar bags from backorder, I can get this wheat stored!

5. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

do not forget to put the wheat in the freezer ! I put mine in 1 gallon bags and into the freezer 3 days each, I have another 50 pounds there now and 100 more to go. now I just need to get my self a real nice grinder :)

6. gejoat

gejoat Monkey+

If you go to gun shows, some of the tables are individuals and not dealers, so they don't register, you have to ask, or watch if some one buys a gun and see if they do the paperwork.
    Also at the gun show you will see people carrying guns around, all most all of theses are individuals, no paper work, you just have to ask if they are selling..
    In our area we have a Bulletin Board, Traders Guide what ever name comes out weekly; in it is a hunting/fishing section, with different guns, bows, fishing stuff; again usually individuals and no paper work.
    Hope that helps.
    ps. you may want to take someone with you that can check the gun out, no warranties or refunds.

7. gejoat

gejoat Monkey+

OK I'll bite why are you putting the wheat in the freezer for three days??

8. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I don't know where you are located but I suggest you check your state's gun regulations and then follow them. None of us like gun registration but bypassing the law can get you a boat load of trouble that I'm sure you don't need.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

10. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Additionally, if you decide to buy a firearm, whether a long gun or a hand gun, make sure you learn to use it properly and safely. There is a lot more than just pulling the trigger. Shooting is a wonderful sport and I'm sure you will enjoy learning from a qualified instructor and practicing every chance you get.

11. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

She is referring to killing bugs/larvae. This is not a necessary step if you pack your wheat correctly in my opinion. It is enough to use the oxygen absorbers and I also use bay leaves.

I have never had a problem. We are pest control operators and my husband is not concerned about this, either.

12. RightHand

From your experience, what do you feel is the best packing methods? With you line of work, you have good information to share. Thanks

13. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

We simply use mylar bags, oxygen absorbers and bay leaves and seal them up into buckets (most have Gamma Seal Lids, but this time we are trying some different READ: cheaper ones), just like I've seen on Youtube. If you use the correct amount of oxy absorbers (the # of ccs escapes me right now), nothing will be able to live in there, anyway. Bay leaves are a cheap extra precaution.

14. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

problem is we have no gun shops! So getting a gun is hard here, and I do not know what to get for my self. I have fired a gun many times, it was a 22 hand gun, it was fun but pretty weak in my opinion. I just want a nice small hand gun that fires with a clip. and yes I would regester now if i could actually find a place to get one. the local pawn shop has guns, but Im not sure if there a good place to buy a gun since you pay for it you get it and there is not returns.

15. RightHand

If I had no gun shops/sporting goods outlets within driving distance, I would decide what I wanted then join a reputable forum specializing in that type of weapon. After participating for a while, you will have a fairly good impression on who is knowledgeable and who is blowing smoke. From that point, you can start putting out some inquiries.

You can also investigate FFL's in your area and give them a call. Once you have established a relationship with an FFL, you can have a product shipped to them for transfer to you.

What you don't want is to end up with some Saturday Night Special that has a history. As an accountant, when people are trying to re-create records, I advise them to "follow the money." In this case, my advice is to follow the laws.

16. gejoat

gejoat Monkey+

Thanks for the info

17. gejoat

gejoat Monkey+

thanks for the info

18. gejoat

gejoat Monkey+

In WV Wal Mart sells long guns and ammo.
    As Right Hand says find an FFL a gun shop a gun repair shop and then you can order a gun from anywhere in the country and have it shipped to the FFL and then they will do the paper work. You can go to Goggle and type in gun shows and your state or a nearby state and they will have various listings. You may have to drive a few hours each way..
    As some one else said know your laws.

19. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

Dry ice is probably the best option for packing buckets. But we did not want to deal with that here.

20. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

100cc up to and including a half gallon canning jar. 200cc per gallon for buckets. This isn't a situation where if a little is good more is better. I wish I had taken a photo of the 3.5 gallon bucket I accidentally tossed three 300cc oxygen absorbers in. The thing sucked in and popped the seal. Live and learn.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7