Food Selection in the Age of Modern Food Production

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by melbo, Aug 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I appreciate the reply. Thank you.

I dug into this stuff several years ago and read many of those criticisms before plus the counters to those. Read the industry propaganda too. Here is a perspective I found back then and it still seems to be rather balanced in summarizing the safety of irradiation.
    Food irradiation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And like most things in life, we are often trading one set of risks for another. So maybe the food has some reduced vitamin content but lowered pathogen risks... And the side benefit of shelf life. Your perceptions, values and individual circumstances drive your decisions. I just want irradiation to be a more readily available OPTION for preppers, especially those constrained in urban or suburb locales. If you think it's bad, fine, don't eat it. I just want the choice for when I think it is good without the .gov or self appointed food police forcing my choices one way or the other because they think they know better.

AT

Mindgrinder likes this.
  2. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Fair enough. I also want the choice.

Airtime likes this.
  3. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

We have 8 chickens all hens, They produce more eggs in one week then we can eat in one month. They eat insects and scratch grains made from corn and acorns. Also they get left over scrap garden produce. I raise rabbits and we catch at least one meal of fish for every week of the year. Last season we shot and froze three deer and are still eating well off those pounds of venison and hunting season starts again in October. Our Salmon in Lake Michigan here are not as tasty as your Ocean ones. We eat a few smaller ones grilled but eat lots of Blue Gill, Pike , Walleye and Brook Trout. Blue gills here are very plentiful and we freeze 600 fillets every year 30 to a pack. I dont need Elk but deer are all over the place so I shoot em. Our garden is producing more veggies then we can eat right now. Squash plants went through the freaking roof. I have so much Squash we have to eat it 3 times a week and are trading some for sweet corn which we failed to grow much of. Birds got my corn seeds as they first sprouted. But yes by all means eat cleaner foods where ever you can. KF

4. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

AHHH.. The fresh venison! It is almost that time again.. Hope my leg is healed enough to get out by myself.. At any rate will have someone carry my older er butt out to a stand.. May even have a chance at getting higher up the mountain and nailing an elk.. Thinkin possitive happy thoughts!

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just a Note.... In Alaska, a disabled Person, is allowed to designate a Proxy Hunter, to take Game for them.......

DKR and VisuTrac like this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I hear ya' Dont. There are only two seasons for me, hunting season, and prepping season for next year.;)

STANGF150 and BTPost like this.
  7. Harbin

Harbin Monkey+

Quite a while back my wife started us on this "100 days of natural food" thing she found online and it grew from there. Our neighbors have even commented on the food in our house being "bland"- "what, no chips or pop for the kids?" Lol. We get 1/2 a cow at a time from a farmer friend, have a dozen hens and 4 ducks for more eggs than we can eat, the gardens are growing, and we planning orchards for next year. As others have said, our birds free range all day and we supplement that with feed we get from the farmer. He grows it and grinds it himself-no grain. My wife never liked beef much till we got that cow, now she loves it and cooks regularly. The initial outlay of cash was a little steep, but our food bills are definitely cheaper than they were and we are much healthier. We used to eat out all the time but now we rarely ever go out not only because they don't have what we want, but because our taste has changed and we find restaurant foods way too salty. Huge savings right there!

The hardest thing we run into is when we travel to visit family and stay with her folks or mine. No one else eats this way, so we have just gotten used to bringing a big cooler. Offering to bring meat to grill helps too, and we always get compliments on the meat and eggs we give them.

We've actually gotten good with recipes for snacks that combine natural healthy foods. The oatmeal "power balls" go real quick, so quick that we quadruple the recipe now.

Sadly, whenever our lifestyle comes up about avoiding processed foods we can just about hear the collective grumbling. Generally it falls on deaf ears, so we avoid it.

8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Well it could be worse....

Scientists serve lab-made burger from cow cells - Yahoo! News

Sustainable sustenance? Outlandish dish? Would you eat lab meats if in The Future the real deal is too expensive to put on the table, while lab meat is priced right?

Personally there's no way I'm eating lab burgers. No thank you. I'm firmly in the 3D printer food camp. That is the wave of the future, my friends!;)

9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

@Witch Doctor 01 there is no way I'm going to eat lab meat. Just like GMO's are safe for you. Yeah, call me skeptical but nothing good can come of it.

Harbin and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  10. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

That might of gone MISSED !! 2013 & all ,,,

So your saying !!! the Old farts , like us , who no longer can take our walkers out with us to hunt . Can have able bodys , with permission slips to hunt for us & bring back more than allowed ??

Just to help the non ~~~~~~~~~~
    Sloth

My tax dollars paid for this downgrade !!

11. BTPost

Yep, If yu have a Federal Subsistance Hunting or Fishing License, and in some cases a State Disabled Qualification......

12. jefferson

jefferson Monkey

Using so much packed food items is not good for the body health, so better to use a fresh meats and vegetables is good for the body health. Using artificial and color preservative food items will causes so much side effects in the body.

13. BTPost

and remember once you reach AGE 60 you can apply to the State of Alaska, for a LifeTime Hunting, Fishing and Trapping License that costs you nothing except an hour at the local ADF&G Office... AlaskaChick and I both Gots our "Old Fart's" H,F,T License...

1. jefferson
  2. DarkLight
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. Big Ron
  5. runswithdogs
  6. Ganado
  7. DarkLight
  8. Ura-Ki
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Yard Dart
  12. hot diggity
  13. RightHand
  14. cjsloane
  15. 3M-TA3
  16. Dark Jester
  17. wastelander
  18. tulianr
  19. Quigley_Sharps
  20. Quigley_Sharps
    [media]
    Thread by: Quigley_Sharps, Dec 22, 2013, 6 replies, in forum: Survival of the Fittest
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7