Food Storage Planner Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by melbo, Jul 6, 2006.

Tags:
  1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Anyone customized or otherwise tweaked this planner?

2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

3. peacefrog68

peacefrog68 Monkey

Thank you! Very useful.:D

4. Beano

Beano Monkey

I have been trying to dream this up......thanks!

5. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

[BSf] Not True..... I put in 10 months of supplies, about this time of year, every year, and have for the last 2 DECADES. My family, going back 3 Generations, have had 1-2 years supply of staples, provisions, and commodities, stored, for our own use and planning. Obviously you have never travel much in Utah, or been around Mormons, much. It is part of their Religion, to be self-sufficent, and have a Years Supply of Personal Needs, stored. Many have this, already, and most are working toward such stocks. Us Alaskans, that live out in the bush, have to have such stocks, because after the last barge leaves in the Fall( September) we do NOT see another one till May the next year. If you do NOT have your supplies, put in, you leave, or you DIE..... ........

Garand69, Ganado and kellory like this.
  7. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

Just kidding, BTPost. Read the link I posted. Our current administration is watching us. You'd be surprised how ultra prepared our home front is. Ric Douglas, USMC Retired

BTPost likes this.
  8. Jkent

Jkent Monkey

Thank you. This is a helpful tool and is very much appreciated.

9. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

So, @melbo, with the switch in lifestyle and diet, how would you suggest modifying this spreadsheet to exclude grains, rice and cereals as well as the legumes?

Just curious as I'm starting down that road (although his book can be just a tiny bit tedious as he repeats himself many, many times).

10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Good question DL- I also would like to know what people with special diet do when putting away food. I know some gluten free people and their food consumption is so limited. When they eat food with gluten they get really sick. It is kind of scary to think of what will happen to these people.

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

When Gluten Free diets are needed and you still want to eat Bread, and Toast, consider Potato Bread. 100% Gluten Free and can be used as a Bread substitute, and baked into any of the standard Bread formats. My mother was a Gluten Free Person and I grew up on Home Baked Potato Breads.

kellory, Motomom34 and DarkLight like this.
  12. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

We don't get them very often but I really like the potato rolls that a couple of the stores around here have. Of course, it would be better to make them myself, but...

I wonder what the insulin response for potato flour is (because it's pretty high for just potatoes).

kellory and Motomom34 like this.
  13. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Been discussing this with @phishi lately as I have multiple years of grain-based food storage put away. I think the main thing is that starting now, my freeze dried and dehydrated foods will be 'whole' rather than pre-packaged meals. Buckets of nuts, berries, vegetables, etc. The tricky part is going to be finding freeze dried meats - I'm actually shopping for a used freeze dryer now to roll my own. Again, this is all based around a need for some stored foods in addition to gardens and livestock. It's definitely set me back a bit in my food storage levels.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  14. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

The gluten free issue is a very real one for our family, along with dairy and egg free. It makes prepping challenging, especially when we thought we had it all together with our grains and beans!

I was going to do a series of posts about this under Back to Basics. Will post as we figure each items out and if I get to make a new spreadsheet for our new staples, I will post it here, too.
    Edited, because I CAN spell

Potsto based breads, like many gluten free items, are high glycemic, making it difficult for those with blood sugar issues.

Oops! It looks like I already started a thread on this with eggs, to be continued with dairy and moving on to gluten. So here's the link to the start of what we're doing.
    Food & Health in a Survival Situation | Survival Monkey Forums

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
  15. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

So how about this has anyone upgraded, tweeked or improved this spreadsheet

16. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Regarding the comments about not having "enough" space for storage;
    One would be surprised at how easy it is to put up enough preps for anywhere from several months to well over a year's supply of essential items (Not just food) once you start thinking outside the box. Convert a closet, use spaces underneath and behind furniture. Stack cases in place of end tables, cover with a nice cloth and use as an end table. Put your mind to it and don't forget to store what you eat and eat what you store.

The important thing is you start prepping. [coo]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This is a discussion that we had yesterday. It is no problem sticking preps throughout the house and places all over. What was the concern is the temperature of where we were storing, this coming from a discussion on another thread. Heat and cold reduce shelf life. We went through and listed the coolest places in the house. I noticed I was storing some of my resources (books and binders) in my cooler areas plus my comms, first aid stuff and lighting (categories) were in place that foods should be. We went through an re-organizing time 6-9 months. We are back to discussing how/ what we can do to maximize our cooler areas.

18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    Mountainman, Yard Dart and VHestin like this.
  19. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

@melbo did you ever post a copy of drombo 's updated spreadsheet? inquiring minds want to know...

20. mikecrom83

mikecrom83 Monkey+

Ditto

1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. john316
  11. DKR
  12. DKR
  13. apache235
  14. Ganado
  15. alaskachick
  16. Motomom34
  17. Bandit99
  18. Asia-Off-Grid