For those of you truly wanting to live off grid

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Nadja, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Siskiyoumom

Siskiyoumom Monkey+

We have a micro hydro electric system, called a Harris wheel. We use an Outback invertor, an array of batteries and when we moved to our place we took money out of savings to buy a Sun Frost Refridgerator which is hardwired into the system. There are no land line phones that reach our place and we use a satilite internet connection which is a lot like using the old fashion dial up. Log on, wait, make some tea or do a chore come back and then try not to get booted off by the system. We use Wildblue which has had its ups and downs over the last seven years. We are unable to use skype due to the poor quality of the speed of our satilite system. We do not live on a piece of property with a clear exposure the southern sky so that precludes us from wasting money on a supposedly faster rate at double the cost. I can text my husband from my workplace to let him know if I am unable to make it home due to snow or rock slides on the highway. If I can find some photos of the hydro system I will add them later. We get our water from up the mountain via a spring we have forest service permit for.

Our little house was totally a wreck when we first bought our place. My husband has spent a lot of years upgrading the place. I am so thankful for a skilled carpenter for a husband. : )

We have finally put in the garden, after my husband built a fence system that withstand the elk and bears.

Bears love compost and any fertilzers so we have learned the hard way how to keep them out of the bears reach.

We have enough power to run our lights, refridgerator and we can run our coffee machine and toaster if other energy sucking appliances are off.

For TV we have the Okie model. A glass faced wood stove. We have a propane stove and dryer. But we don't use the dryer much, mostly we use drying racks. For heavy drying for items such as area rugs we take them to town to dry if needed. Which happens about once a year.

The hardest part of living off the grid is being ready for wild land fires. My husband has a fire pump, hand tools, and a sprinkler system for on the roof and under the eaves.

Yes, living off the grid takes time, money and know how. We are blessed to live in a part of California with a lot of experienced back to the land type folks who have mentored us in how to set up our system.

As we have aged we realized how much we cannot stand excessive heat and our power system is able to support a small swamp cooler. It was a bear to get it up to the second story and attached to the wall.

We also got a solar charged attic fan which cools the attic crawl space very well.
    012808_08262.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

MicroHydro is the BEST, alternative energy source going if it is designed right "from the get-go" There is just no doubt about that. I hear you on the SAT based IP Connection. That is what we have here, and ours works very well. I have never used WildBlue, but have extensive experience in SAT based IP Systems both in the bush, and in the Crowded World. HughesNet isn't any better than what your using now. There are alternatives, but they are expensive, and require a bit of research to find a SAT based ISP that can see your site. I run a Micro ISP for my close neighborhood, so my neighbors can have internet access. It is based on WiFi and DSL links and server about 7 people. I run trace Inverters here, only because Outback hadn't yet been formed from the Trace Engineering Group, when I bought my systems. I have consulted on numerous OutBack systems, since and they are solid and just work. The Outback guys are also the BEST when you have a problem, when you call them on the phone. It is nice to see others, who have built solid outfits, and who do "Walk the Walk.

3. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Welcome to the true off grid club. Speaking of wild blue, I too have been on it for years now,..... until just last week. I have a complete system for sale if you know anyone interested. Great condition. As far as drying your clothes, have you ever considered a propane dryer ? Fairly cheap elec. wise to run and you can get the 25gal bottles at lowes for cheap. They are still manageable to an extent anyway. If that is your house, it looks great from here. Take care and Thank-you Nadja

4. Siskiyoumom

Siskiyoumom Monkey+

We do have a propane dryer.

I just hate to use up the propane for drying clothes when I have my drying racks.

We got the racks when I worked for Fish and Game as a Creel Census worker and needed to dry out my gear each night.

The house was very, very trashed when we bought the place.

It had only two walls that were covered in wood slabs, the rest was roofing paper and plastic covering the windows.

Dear husband spent two weeks and about fifteen truck and trailer loads of garbage to the dump.

The renters had a mini grow happening and had lots of commod food bags that were full of rat crap and such.

Ghost wore a full on haz mat suit to clean out all the rat debris due to the hanta virus being in our area at the time.

He slept in a tent in the structure to deal with the mice and bats at night.
    As we have aged we have gone soft.

Finally have a great septic system in and a grey water system for the shower and sink.

We finally invested in a rented 300 gallon propane tank.
    Ghost is getting too old to be hauling the 80 lb tanks we had used.

He has totally closed in the house, rebuilt the roof, done the plumbing and electrical and insulated and drywalled the place.
    It is small, cosy and very nice to live in.

The only drag is the very long commute I make to work.

I have loved not driving anywhere for the last six days of winter vacation.

You could not pay me to travel to anywhere else for my vacation.

As in other areas of our great country, when you live in the sticks/boondocks/bush, you make your shopping list when you go to town and if for some reason you forget something, then oh well... and make do.

It is not as isolated as living in rural Alaska or the high plains, but it is still a far drive to the coast or up to Oregon for the major shopping.

I applied for a job up in Alaska teaching in a bush village. While in Anchorage I checked out how expensive it was to fly in supplies and was impressed with the well set up system of totes and such for supplies via mail/ups.

We decided not to take on the job due to my Dad being ill and the lack of ease in getting him to medical care.

The rock/landslides here abouts can be a real drag for my commute.

I hate getting stuck on the wrong side of the slide.

Locally we have an air ambulance service which is great when they can actually fly in or helicopter in for critically ill patients. I had to take a very expensive land based ambulance ride one year from work and that was way too costly for us. Now we pay $60 a year for the back up plan.

During the 1964 floods our area was isolated for two months.

Red Cross and OES deems are area as pockets of humanity. Which means we cannot expect help in any fashion for a long while. In some ways that can be lifethreatening and in other ways in may actually end up being a good thing.

There are way too many pot farms and meth labs in this neck of the woods.

Another negative is that this area is close to urban areas where weekend warriors/hunters are familair with our region.

So dealing with survivalist wannabe type folks might be a problem.

Most of the locals have been here a long while and know the ins and outs of living here.

When we first bought our piece we could not live on it.

We dealt with theft and vandalism.

Living here full time has been the key to building relationships with our close neighbors and being able to learn who we can count on and who we cannot count on if push comes to shove.

5. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Morning and Merry Christmas. Sounds like you folks really have it together for sure. Just one question for you though , who has to go outside and shovel on really bad snow days ? LOL Keep up the good work. Nadja

6. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

W e are looking at the Sun frost products right now. Monday Ill be calling them for price quotes. Siskiyoumom, Our place was wreck too so I share your pain.Kingfish

7. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

How loud is it? I have the perfect setup for hydro and the price looks appealing..

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Can't speak directly to noise on these Harris turbines, but I'd lay small money on the generator being the main source, and in that size range not much to hear.

Bear in mind that turbine selection has to be made on the available head and flow. Low flow, high head forces a different type of impeller than high flow, low head. The generator end really doesn't care what turns it. (BYKT)

9. Maxflax

Makes perfect sense.. likely it will be low flow, high head. It's an old cut into the hillside aquifer made in the 1960s when they did logging roads on our 300 foot (above the HWY) ridge line. They only took the old growth giants and it is still heavily forested. I have found 14 foot diameter Western Red Cedar stumps on our land from that. Worst case is several gallons per minute with 250 feet of head. Maybe we can dig into the hill further and get a higher GPM, not sure yet. I'm currently thinking even a 60 gallon plastic water barrel would work as the head source, right at the spring source. Just dig a nice hole alongside the spring and channel much of the water to it, then the overflow can be redirected right back into the stream. The generator would be about 400 feet from the home. My main concern is not attracting attention (with sound) from the road, below

10. ghrit

If I understand all you say here, you'll be filling a barrel at the top of the hill and piping the flow to the turbine at the bottom, then running the discharge from the turbine back to the stream. That works. Keep the inlet pipe down the hill way larger than the inlet pipe connection to the turbine to keep flow losses to a minimum, the discharge should also be larger than the connection, but need not be as large as the inlet if it is short.

The machine will be essentially noiseless, and you are going to want to put it in a shed to handle the power panels anyway, which will help with the little noise anyway. The shed MUST be located above high water on the downstream side, I guess obviously. Unless you know otherwise, plan on some way to drain things for winter ----

As an alternative, you can save the pipe up the side of the hill, and use a lower head machine by filling the barrel from the falling water nearer the bottom. The price is lower output.

When you get around to specifying the machine, you will need some pretty precise measurements of flow and elevation so it can be built right for you. These are not off the shelf items, I don't think.

11. Maxflax

Thanks.. I will calculate the final output in the worst conditions (late summer/early fall after we do some digging) and since plastic water line is so cheap, might as well go for maximum head w/250 foot drop

I don't think a large housing is needed.. just enough to protect the generator/impeller unit from weather.. lower profile is better. It's pretty dry earth wise near the stream, some cinder blocks set on driven in rebar will raise it just fine

I figure that most of the year there will be some over flow from the barrel into the tiny but steep stream, and that will just overflow into the stream from the barrel, at the top. Deer and other critters use it, so it's a good thing to keep, as much as possible

12. ghrit

I had a look at the Harris website. I think you'll find the footprint fairly large to hide the nozzle pipes, but it probably won't need a lot of height. When you get a bit further down the planning and get a set of drawings of what they propose to send, I'd love to see what it looks like.

Discharge into the existing stream will conceal the fact that you've diverted some on the way. The critters won't notice. Should work well.

13. Maxflax

I hope so.. again, I need to find out what the actual DBs will be, every hydro install I have heard is VERY loud and that is the last thing I need

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7