Forum software upgrade - please report issues

Discussion in 'Technical' started by melbo, Aug 31, 2013.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

TT added back in. I'm sufficiently convinced. Please be aware that some of the new TT app version contain ads. We don't show ads to logged in members (only to guests) but I think (but cannot confirm) that TT might show ads to everyone.

jab73180 and Yard Dart like this.
  2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Thanks for adding TT back. my tool bars are blank right above where im typing this.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yep, Mine too, except for the "Reports" Flag.... The "Moderation" Flag, and the "Moderators Forum" Flag have disappeared...

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Switch styles then refresh then switch back, M just had me do that and it worked for me.

5. bfayer

bfayer Keeper Of The Faith

I greatly appreciate having TT turned back on. Although I don't post all that much, I do like my daily SM fix :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jab73180 and melbo like this.
  6. BTPost

Nope, still the same....Oh well, I will get by....

7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Thanks M for the TT being re-enabled!!! [winkthumb]

jab73180 and melbo like this.
  8. melbo

I believe that Moderation flag will only appear when there are things to moderate. Moderation forum flag has been removed. The updated version was not working well. RH has a thread on this in Mod forum.

9. BTPost

OK, Thanks Melbo....

10. melbo

Just realized that the new editor has auto-save:

Yard Dart and Brokor like this.
  11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The display of new posts before reply is an excellent feature, as well as auto-save.

12. melbo

Made a few other changes that reverted the forum theme/style.
    Please let me know if you see anything that doesn't look right or that you'd like changed - couple of small color changes but nothing major. forum should be loading faster for most of you. If not hold Shift & F5 for a hard refresh on your browser.

13. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Wyoming Site Supporter+

Thank God you added TapaTalk (TT) back in. Thank you. I have been contributing only because you use TT. Unfortunately, Jack Spirko's wonderful forum on thesurvivalpodcast.com doesn't yet support TT or i would be contributing there as well. He keeps saying he will add support for TT, but that has been for more than a year, and IT guy is to busy to add it. Calguns.net has TT and it is wonderful and has allowed me to contribute a lot due to its convenience.

I just don't like the inconvenience of a PC or notebook with a web browser anymore compared to dedicated apps like TT on mobile device. I just don't sit in front of a Firefox PC anymore as I much as I do in front of either my Android tablet or Android phone or my iPod and iPad with TT. It is VERY convenient across 4 different mobile platforms as a one-stop-access app to get to a variety of forums. For instance, with all of the wonderfulsurvival and prepper podcasts out there, I prefer to use BeyondPod app rather than download MP3s with a web browser. Again, it is just a matter of convenience, simplicity and consistency across such a wide range of mobile devices and podcasts.

I have never seen any advertisements on TT perhaps because I have the paid version not the free one.

In summary, the web browser paradigm just doesn't give as much simplicity, consistency, and convenience across such a wide variety of devices.

----

NRA Life Member; also member of Gun Owners of America of America,
    NRA-PVF | PVF Home
    , Second Amendment Foundation Second Amendment Foundation Online, Home | Calguns FoundationCalguns Foundation, California Rifle and Pistol Association | , Gun Owners of California, NSSF - National Shooting Sports Foundation, Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership, Permies: a big crowd of permaculture goofballs, Survival Podcast Member Support Brigade, Wolf Pack member at TheSurvivalistBlog.net – Survival Blog, Prepper Website, MD Creekmore, Permaculture Homesteader, Minister. American Redoubt - YouTube, American Redoubt (AmericaRedoubt) on Twitter, Jefferson Franklin (Redoubt) - Google+, American Redoubt | Facebook

14. melbo

So no other complaints? This is a first... Tac?

15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Another thing I LOVE about this update:

test99.
    I can revert back to default font color with the ability to click 'None'. This feature was not possible with the older theme style. No complaints from me, only praise!

One thing of note, however. I do not see a link in the main navigation anywhere for members to navigate to the SM help page: Help | Survival Monkey Forums It used to be on the top nav bar, but I can't find the link anywhere. Thankfully, I remembered where the page was located and just manually navigated to it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  16. melbo

Glad you like the new editor.

Help was moved to the footer (by design) as help is a rarely used link and didn't warrant space in the navigation tabs,

Screenshot from 2013-09-05 07:21:45.

Brokor likes this.
  17. melbo

Update on Tapatalk.

All of you, paid TT app or free TT app are going to begin seeing ads. Forum owners have little control over it.

Also, when you uploaded an image in TT previously, it actually sent the file to the survivalmonkey server for storage. Now, they have disabled that option and all images/files you upload are to be sent to a server in China and will be served to TT that way. In the past, we could override that and force files to stay on the server... not after today and the biggest problem with this is that we are the Information Archive - nothing should ever go red X or be missing. If TT users upload pictures over the years to TT servers in China and then they go bust or disappear, all our images are broken.

We have about 19-25 visits from users on TT each day compared to 3500 visitors daily. I agreed to bring it back but once again ask you to log into the site from your mobile browser, save sm to your home screen and give it a try. I'm especially concerned that we are allowing our content to be hosted in a country that is high on the list of cyber attacks in the US.

Yard Dart and BTPost like this.
  18. melbo

Did you ever get this working? I know that when we upgrade the server side of tt, sometimes tt users need to go into Settings > Reset Cache to get things working.

19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I for one, have uploaded the browser on my droid and use tapatalk secondary. If TPT needs to go.... I am good with that and support your move 100%. Thanks for the consideration of the matter previously. Your explanation to the issue.... above.... compels me to agree that we should not support TPT for the limited usage. YMMV
    YD

melbo likes this.
  20. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I use TT from my phone but based on the above...not so much anymore.

There, uninstalled. Now I CAN'T use it. :)

melbo likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7