Found at Pawn shop - 1955 chinese sks rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Disciple, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Guys I found a 1955 chinese sks rifle that was used in Korea. I am in the process of buying the gun to use as a gun for shtf. I don't know a whole lot about the rifle in general. But the gun seems to be in good condition, but I have not got to put any ammo through it yet, but i feel the asking price is low enough ( $ 170.00), that if it does need work i can get it back in a workable condition,( I already plan on taking it to a gunsmith when I pick it up) It is in it's original stock and has been re-varnished otherwise the gun would have been worth more. The stock is pretty beat-up, due to the fact it was a gun used in Korea, but like I stated earlier seems to solid otherwise. If anyone else can give me any general background on this rifle that would be appreciated greatly.

2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

A Chinese SKS of that year would have been produced under Russian supervision with Russian parts - a "Sino-Soviet" as they are known, and they are sought after. The Russians left in 1957, if memory isn't too rusty. My Factory /26\ SKS was produced in 1958, and has all the Sino-Soviet features except the serial number range. A very nice example of the SKS indeed - I sold my '70s-produced Norinco when I got this one!
    If it can be repaired/refinished and made a good weapon again, it's a deal!

3. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

SKS manual in download section.

4. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

all right now that sounds like a winner. As I said the wood stock is pretty much trashed but the action and everything else to my eye inspection looked in good shape,though I didnt put any 7.62 through it. When I get it I will be taking it to
    H&H Gun Range In Oklahoma city for a complete refurbish and testing in which I'll put at least 100 rounds through it. So I think it should turn out to be a good rifle.

5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

6. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Thank you witch doctor I will deffinatly look into that change-over for my sks.

7. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Doc I looked at one of the videos on you tube about this very subject and the trigger had to be moved back forward by him,,,,, I don't know if that has been fixed but that can be a huge detractor to a system like that then I decided to go ahead and go to the website and from what I saw it would fit the norinko and the Yugo variants but didnt see anything where it would fit the orriginal Russian/chinese variant. But relax I'm not going to let it die there I will email the owner of CBRPS to see if this is doable for this Variant..... I will keep you in the loop on what I find out.

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Russian, Chinese military, Chinese Norinco, Romanian - "All same-same - Numba One!" What fits one will fit the others.

The Yugo sometimes has different fit, depending on the item.

The Albanian - now that's a real odd ball!

9. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Thank you seawolf.

10. Witch Doctor 01

There is an adjustment in the trigger system that fixes the issue...read the posts below the video...

11. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Ok doc I will look at it more completly.

12. KHAN

KHAN Monkey+++

I really dig the Choate stock, have had mine on for a while and love it! Added a Tech Sight and the thing shoots like money. To each their own but this is the set up I find sweetest. Congrats on a good deal!

13. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Khan I will be sure to check that out when I get my laptop on some good internet. Right now I'm using the town libraries hookup and they have that sonic wall set tighter then a well-diggers butt-hole( I live right across the street from the library and I have a wifi equipped laptop). Hence free Internet.

14. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Wasn't the Korean war over in 1953 ? If your gun was made in 1955 how was it used in the war ? Just curious

15. Witch Doctor 01

Nah we are still at war... just a really long cease fire...;)

16. Pixie_moon83

Pixie_moon83 Monkey+

I own a Yugo and I loved shooting it and had great aim, but 2 years ago I broke both my wrists. I now have a titanium plate in my left wrist(go bionic woman!) that definitely hampers my ability to hold the yugo in the proper position, without shooting the ground ten foot in front of what I'm aiming at. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to make it easier for me to shoot. I love the way it looks and would hate to make any changes, but I just can't hold it up. Bravo61actual, my hubby, made the suggestion for me to turn it into a bullpup like he did with his. He was the one to restore mine when it was first purchased. Are there any other options and what would be the best option to make it light enough for me to handle easily?

17. bravo61actual

bravo61actual Monkey+

looks good as a bullpup. have to save up some cash and get one for one of our Yugos. congrats on the find we love ours.

18. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Sorry to hear about your wrists[yukface] You might want to search the web and find rehabilitation exercises specific to your needs. My daughter had some frequent pain in one of her's (probably nothing like yours), so the gymnastics coach had her do "air ABC's" with both wrists 5 or 10 times per day -- it's not as easy as it sounds doing A thru Z with your hands (making sure you don't take shortcuts) and it helped a lot.

BTW, I really like my SKS (Yugo M59/66A1); it's a great shooting rifle. The lack of kick would probably benefit you a little. I had my trigger re-worked at Kiraari.com and I can't say enough good about it. It would take a lot to get me to trade her in.

19. Pixie_moon83

Pixie_moon83 Monkey+

Yugo

Thank you NVBeav, I don't really have many problems with the wrist, just the lack of stability. My left wrist is much weaker than it was before it was broken. Now, the Yugo is just too heavy to hold it stable. That is why I was looking for an option to make it lighter to hold, as I really love to shoot it. Before I broke my wrists I could make a eight inch pattern at 200 yards. I can't do that anymore without a wider spread. [gun2]

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Shooting sticks. One is good, two is better. Easy to buy, but really easy to make from branches, if you don't want to carry them. Or, you can get some electrical tubing cut to whatever length you want.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7