Found at Pawn shop - 1955 chinese sks rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Disciple, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Or a camera monopod - the telescoping type. Mine is like one leg of a full tripod, with it's own panhead. Would be easy to put a shallow padded rest on top. Collapsed it is easy to carry strapped to a pack or belt. Has a padded handle grip, and can also be used as a walking stick.
    Love my Yugo SKS too! With a scope and folding bipod, I call it my "poor man's M1A"! Very tight shooter with good commercial ammo or handloads. Wolf ammo is for making noise..... b::

2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

We used to strap/tape weak wrists for ju jitsu training... and strengtghen them by tying a weight to a 3' cord and the cord to a short piece of broom stick and slowly rolling the cord/weight up on the stick and slowly back down...

3. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I would suggest trying a couple of different holding methods. I have taught a lot of women and youth to shoot and many have a control issue with a long arm shooting from the offhand position.

Try shooting an Olympic stance. You can go to YouTube and look at some vids of how they hold the rifle. If your wrist is flexible enough you bend it backwards, much like a "gimme" or "I dunno" gesture. Then tucking the elbow in tight to the body you let the rifle rest on the heel of your hand. This way the entire forearm is supporting the rifles weight. It eliminates a lot of movement in a typical finger wrapped wrist hold.

Another way to get a more solid hold is to use a cradle hold. Bend your left arm (assuming you are a right hand shooter) into your body. Lay the forestock of the rifle in the crook of your elbow. The left hand fingers can be hooked over the butt stock, just behind the reciever. In this position the shoulder muscle is supporting the weight of the rifle. You can see this hold in a lot of sniper pictures where they are shooting from a sitting position.

If your not shooting from a benchrest then the wrist is a very weak support even in the strongest of individuals. Try different holding methods until you find one that is compfortable and natural feeling to you. And use supports if you need to. Shooting sticks are great but a tree or post will work well in an improvised situation also. Pin the rifles forearm against the tree and push against it to steady it. This would eliminate holding it up with a weak wrist.

The simplest remedy may be just learning to use a sling properly. A sling when wrapped around the arm and holding the rifle tight to the hand places the weight of the rifle on the entire arm.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Time to check in with a PT Person, but I would start squeezing a tennis ball, and then look at doing some knitting. Tennis Ball will strengthen the wrist, and knitting will help keep your fingers nimble, while the tendons get stronger. YMMV...

5. -06

-06 Monkey+++

An SKS is a fine shooter. I can hit very well at 200 yds with the round that everybody says is only a 100 yd round. You can get an adapter that changes the mag well into an AK mag holder. If you can find an "M" style SKS it will take the AK mags. My first has been "bubba'd" up with scope, bipod, and folding stock. Way too heavy and all next to useless. My "M" is now one of the truck guns and I keep a couple of extra 30 rd mags with it. The SKS is an excellent all around shooter. Fully capable of downing a deer or any varmit-four legged or two.

6. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Had another thought this morning. For info on shooting with a weak or limp wrist you might try going to the website for the Pink Pistols.
    :D

7. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Does one get any magazine wobble with that adapter? Are the mags secure once placed in the rifle? Is there any particular model to chose?

jim

8. cornmonkey

cornmonkey Monkey+

Included with the other things, getting a tapco stock would whack a lot of weight off that thang or a plain light weight stock, they make both. I have a yugo and a china bit one is stock the yugo and the other is dressed in a tapco T-6, i like them both. Plastic is not as purdy as the wood but it is lighter. Hope ya find a style that will work for you.

9. Seawolf1090

An AK magazine does NOT fit the standard SKS mag well - the feed lips are too wide - ask how I know.......

Norinco basically machined the receiver wider inside to accept the magazines for the SKS-D and SKS-M models. This is NOT suggested for the home hobbiest - the rifle can be dangerously weakened.

There was a company that made an adapter for THEIR proprietary non-duckbilled magazines - the AK magazines will NOT fit this adapter.

10. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Thanks, Seawolf, that's good to know.

jim

11. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Here's a link to a version of the 20-rnd mag -- has anyone tried Tapco with their SKS?
    Tapco SKS 7.62x39 20rd Magazine

The ad says the "...the opening must be enlarged slightly..." Does that mean the wooden part of the stock or the actual metal?? If no one knows, I'll try calling tomorrow morning.

12. Seawolf1090

I would hope just the wood.......

The Tapco magazine gets good reviews, but I have never handled one. [dunno]

13. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

I just got a reply from Tapco on the SKS magazine they make (part # MAG6620BLACK):

Their website links to several product resellers:
    TAPCO - INTRAFUSE 20rd SKS Detachable Magazines - Black
    (click the "Online Retailers" tab in the middle of the page)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7