Found my HAM rig.

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by melbo, Jan 12, 2006.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Yaesu FT-817
    [​IMG]

Going to meet the guy tomorrow. :sneaky:

Yaesu site
    ft-817_in_pouch_small_122.

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Melbo always gets the latest and coolest toys................ [melbo]

3. melbo

LOL, been looking for something like this for around 8 months now.

4. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Whats the range on it? Could it be adapted to the ECN system? We need to find a long distance comm system for post SHTF.

5. melbo

World wide on HF. HF bounces off the Ionoshpere and keeps on going. SHould be able to get around the world. All on 5 watts. CONUS comms would be a breeze.

It has SSB capabilities. Not sure about CB though. It is an 'all band' transceiver with a built in Morse keyer.

6. melbo

MSRP is 699. I'm giving $400 for it with accessories.

7. Minuteman

Can you get more than one? If not who carries them? I'd take one if you can get another. I have been looking for a good CONUS capable system.
    I think that is one area where survivalists are severely lacking in. At least many that I have known. Isolation is a recipe for disaster. A means to communicate with others in a TEOTWAWKI world will be invaluable.

8. melbo

THis is being sold by a guy who needs cash. My HAM buddy asked me if I was interested. Otherwise, He'd want it himself. There is a Yaesu FT-747 for sale around here for $325 IIRC.

747 reviews: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2246
    You need HF for CONUS

One added benefit is that most HAMs say that these are super for listening as well and run circles around Shortwave portables.

9. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

MM, I would think if you were going to get the coms that way you would need at least 2 sets wouldnt you? One portable for you to have with you since you run all over the CONUS and beyond all the time and one at home to com with home if anything like that was needed. Just a thought given your situation with traveling all the time.

10. melbo

The ones I'm looking at are mobile units that can also be used as a base station. Most HAM rigs are set up to run 12 volt anyway. The one I'm getting is a Backpack model that can do what most larger console units can do.

11. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Very nice.... so you went for it huh?.... I picked up a book on antennas and stealth antennas.... good info as well.....

12. melbo

Yeah. I pick it up tomorrow. Studing for my test now inbetween Gulps of Whiskey and Survivalmonkying... :D

13. Minuteman

Exactly MM. Thats what I'm looking for. A portable 12v compatible ham rig. I have a unit now that is basically an amped up C.B. that can be set up in the house with an inverter and used as a base unit.But the range is limited.
    I'll check into these. Give us a review when you get it Melbo.

14. warhead2

warhead2 Monkey+++ Founding Member

cool i would love to have one when i get my license

15. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

16. melbo

Great link CLyde!

I'm scanning with it right now. Not being a comms guy, I have a lot to learn about it's features. Taking the test next month, with code. Then take the General trest the month after that. I want to test this thing out pre-SHTF and having the license is about the only way of really learning the radio.

17. monkeyman

I would say that even if you dont have the lisence but have the money get the radio. That way if SHTF then you wouldnt have to worry about a lisence, hell the truth of the matter is you wouldnt have to worry much about it now. We had a problem with someone around here running 'barefoot' (to much power and interfearing with our TV and stuff) and when I called the FCC they told me their budget had been cut so they wouldnt do anything about it other than that if I found out who it was and where they were and measured the signal strength and so on and told them then if it was far enouph over they would send someone out to measure it and ticket them MAYBE. Basicly what came of the conversation was that unless they are on TV or radio and doing something they can collect an easy fine for they dont care.

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, used to run with a 100 watt foot warmer in the mobile during the heavy CB days. Uncle Charlie never could catch up. Opened up the President Washington at home, put out 20 watts on the antenna when I finally got the SWR sorted out. SSB of course, never topped 8 w on full wave. We filtered it rather well, not a lot of bleeding unless very close by. (Still blew out a buddy's finals when I keyed up with not enough distance between us.)

19. melbo

The FCC lets HAMs regulate HAMS so its a bit of a gentlemens agreement. If I were to fire this thing up right now, some of the locals would be upset. I don't mind getting the license.

I know that come SHTF, there is no more rules and HAM is always open to anyone for emergencies, but this type radio is a little more complex than a CB radio. If I want to count on it post S--F, I need to work with it now and talk to the other radio guys to fine tune what I want to do.

Eventually, I need to be able to talk to the 5 regions of CONUS that we talked about in another thread... not sure where that is now, might have been called "the group"

mm, I have no problems violating stupid laws. This one is different thoiugh as it is enforced by the same guys that sold me the radio.

20. monkeyman

Oh I was mostly talking in terms of if you had the chance to pick up the radio set dont pass it up just because you dont have the lisence yet to run it. That way if getting the lisence gets put on the back burner to long and it hits the fan before you get the lisence you can still learn it easier than building or buying a radio post SHTF. Getting the lisence and running it before hand would be far better as you could then have established contacts as well as more knowledge on quirks and special features and so on.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7