frankenAK

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by mage2, Jun 16, 2009.

1. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

So friends, my journey to becoming a AKbuilder and a AKowner has come to a head.

After much blood, sweat,tears(metal splinters HURT), and dollars. I am on the final stage of my AK build. Thanks to all here that have supported and helped me with this bastard of a build.

I think everything that could go wrong in a AK build happened to me at least twice. But my final step is to finish the receiver. I have had it blasted with sand and am planning on a parkerizing it and maybe painting it with some form of duracoat after the park.

I have also attached a picture of my frankenAK.

Its a receiver from a board member(yes bent to fit in the box ;), a stock and rear trunnion from yet another board member, combined with Tapco 922R parts and the parts kit from a AMD-65. Thank you all again for all your help with this.

Let me know what you think. Its my first build.
    frankenAKsm.

2. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

It looks awesome! I wouldn't paint it. I'd leave it as is. Have you shot it yet?

3. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

as seen in my other post, the one mag i have failed so not yet. I dont have much free time but I hope this weekend to do 2 things
    A) go to local gun show (saxet in austin) and get me some more STEEL mags and ammo

B) make it to range to blast the hell out of it.

Right now the receiver is raw steel, so it could rust. I need to do something to protect it from the elements.

I am happy with how it turned out though.

Do you think a park treatment would do it right?

4. The Expendable

My understanding of parkerizing is that it will not work on certain steels (stainless or with too much nickel in it). The gun looks amazing, so I can only assume that you know what you're doing. I would defer to your expertise.

I like the unfinished look of the raw steel. Maybe after parkerizing you could finish it the same color. Of course, that's just my personal opinion.

May I ask how much the project cost and how long it took?

5. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

cost was, well not that bad, parts im in about $400-450 ish.
    thats including the "other" receiver that i purchased and then found out it was busted/out of spec and had to get a second one.

the project took way way longer than needed just because of life and lack of dollars, I have had the kit for awhile and would work on it slowly, its only been recently that i started focusing on it.

I am starting to like the look also so after I park it, i could spray it light grey to get the same look. and it would break up the profile.

Thats a possibility,
    Park only works on carbon steels, it provides wear and corrosion resistance, and it will provide that to all surfaces, so im going to park it so that both the inside and outside are protected, then paint the outside to look good with one of the many poly acrylics.

6. The Expendable

Sounds good. I may need to try one of my own some day.

Congrats on a great looking gun!

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Nice work, very nice work. You need to take it out and shoot it, then give us a range reports (with pics).

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

+1 and no need to wait for finishing. Gunsmoke retards corrosion, doancha no.

[beer]

9. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Being in Florida for the duration, and not really wanting to be anywhere else....I have a major problem with humidity and keeping my guns rustless. Most new purchases lean to stainless. I have a H&K SL-7 .308 that I had completely done with armaloy. It looks just like stainless. I can wrap it or tape it if I want the camo effect and it doesn't affect the armaloy one bit. I got sold on armaloy after reading an article about the abysmal wear and tear and turnover on guns the Alaskan fish and game was going through until they discovered armaloy. It cost me $135 in the 80's to have my rifle and 4 magazines done. It still looks like new matt stainless steel today. very maintanence free or close to it. JMHO of course

10. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

http://www.shooterssolutions.com/parkerizekits.html

These guys have always done me right ya can get either the black or the gray
    I forget which is which but I'm pretty sure the mag is black and the zinc is the gray .
    Very easy to follow the directions they send with the kits ,really all ya need is a pot big enough and if ya have a kitchen supply house near ya they will have a steam table tray that will fit all of your stuff in stainless steel .

Nice job ,is that a screw build ?

11. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I hope you remembered to heat treat the rivet holes and rails?

12. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yeah, at BEAR minimum do the axis pin holes, crossmember holes, and ejector rail.

13. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

Seacowboys,
    I sent you a PM about the heat treating the areas,

Yes its a screw build. :)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7