Free cell phones are now a civil right

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seacowboys, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Don't worry when SHTF they will be the first to go with assistance between 850 to 3500 feet per second!

STANGF150 and Alpha Dog like this.
  2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I remember...2 or 3 years back, people were fussing that (high-speed) internet was a 'right' and needed to be available to everyone. And my thought was "Dude, it is! At the LIBRARY! You know, that place you go to LEARN things?"

STANGF150 likes this.
  3. emh1701

emh1701 Monkey+

I don't comprehend why people think a cell phone is a necessity. Yes you have to have at least a land line in case of an emergency, but cell phones are much more expensive.

4. Mountainman

Agreed, but if you are not paying for the land line it should only be able to dial out to 911 and receive calls so they can get a job (yea right, like that's going to happen with the hard core moochers).

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

And nowadays, just try finding a pay phone on a street corner..... that's the main reason I now carry a cell phone - broke down one day and NO phones available! But me being a self-sufficient type of guy, I PAY for my own!!

So okay, let some do-gooder charity group hand out free cheap cell phones (call out & in ONLY - no music, games or camera!), but the user pays the $15 per month "Pay-as-you-go" plan.

BTPost likes this.
  6. Servelan

Servelan Monkey+

I'm not sure why a program started in 1984 under Reagan is a problem all of a sudden. I guess people on welfare shouldn't be able to call and make doctor's appointments, or call 9-1-1, or respond to job offers.

"The Federal Communications Commission created Lifeline in 1984. SafeLink Wireless will now take the service a step further by offering free cell phones and service for a year to any household that receives federal public housing assistance, food stamps, low income home energy assistance, supplemental security income, temporary assistance for needy families or Medicaid." Original

I don't understand why people on welfare should be considered 'scum', either. Poverty is not a crime, nor is it an indicator of moral failure.

There but for the grace of God....

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Your point is well taken. However, I add that there are not a few other ways to make 9-1-1 calls, not the least of which would be a wired phone in the apartment hallway, or get them back out on the street corners. Now, tell me why those public phones have been removed ---

8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

It seems welfare people get what a lot of people who work can't afford.

9. Mountainman

I don't think you understand what was meant by "welfare scum". This is referring to people that live on welfare and have no intention of getting a job as long as they are on it.

10. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

Got another one for you guy's we arrested a 23 year old male no diabilities told us during the interview he quit his job at McDonalds because he made more money selling dope didn't have to work hard or long hours plus with having two kids and a wife welfare paid more than McDonalds. Now thats bad but not the worst. We took about $1500.00 cash, a food stamp card with around $600.00 he told us and another food stamp card he said that he had traded drugs for and when he took the amount owed to him at $2.00 on every dollar he would give the card back to the person until it was reloaded. He was using his vehicle to go into another state or County to transport drugs back here. So we filed for forfiture on the vehicle and sold the vehicle used the funds to do a drug program at a church camp. Yesterday pulled over a white Buick nice vehicle for speeding came up to the driver it was this person charged and convicted. Upon speaking with him I ask how he got the new vehicle and he stated the welfare gave him $3,500.00 to help buy a car so he could look for a job. He is still doing the job that got him locked up the first time and now has a new vehicle to do it in.

(Tell me whats wrong with this picture of the system at work)

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just a NOTE, here: ANY Cellphone that can communicate with either, of the two, local, Networks, (uses the same technology) CAN make a 911 Call, with, OR WITHOUT a Valid Account, or with, or WITHOUT, any Minutes... This is a Federal REQUIRMENT, PERIOD. So, the 911 issue is a Total Strawman, and total [BSf] .

Mountainman likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7