FREE Opensource Software to Replace Microsoft Programs and Utilities

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Brokor, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

PC USERS - You can avoid using problematic (and sometimes expensive) commercial software programs by using FREE opensource software. Some of these programs can be used on multiple platforms, to include smart phones.

This is not a complete listing. Feel free to add to it as needed.

Thunderbird (Use instead of Microsoft Outlook/Live Mail)- Thunderbird — Software made to make email easier.

Sumatra (Use instead of Adobe Acrobat) Free PDF Reader - Sumatra PDF

Firefox (Use instead of Internet Explorer) Browse Freely

Open Office (Use instead of Microsoft Office) Apache OpenOffice - Official Site - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

VLC Media Player (Use instead of any media player like Microsoft Media) Official download of VLC media player, the best Open Source player - VideoLAN

Inkscape (Use instead of CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator) Draw Freely | Inkscape

7-Zip (Use instead of Winzip or Winrar archiving utility) 7-Zip

Sunbird (Replaces the Microsoft Outlook calendar) Mozilla Thunderbird - Lightning Calendar

GIMP (Replaces Adobe Photoshop, after a fashion) GIMP - Downloads

Audacity (Free audio editor and recorder) Audacity

Filezilla (Free, Open source FTP utility) http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

Keepass (Free, open source utility to store and manage passwords) KeePass Password Safe

Pidgin (use for instant messaging and supports many popular messengers) Pidgin, the universal chat client

Notepad++ (Replaces traditional Microsoft notepad) Notepad++ Home

GNUCash (Use instead of Quicken or Microsoft Money) Free Accounting Software | GnuCash

2. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Thanks, saved it, need to get off MS

3. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Thanks for the links.

Just took my first step yesterday, and downloaded linuxmint 18.1-cinnamon. Time to play.

Altoidfishfins, Trouble and Brokor like this.
  4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Thanks @Brokor I use some of these and will soon go to a OpenSource browser (probably today) as have a new install of Windows 10. I use and have done so many of these for many years. 7-Zip is an excellent program which will even do the Unix .tar files. Notepad ++ also is excellent especially if you are editing large Script files for it is truly set up for use by programmers. It's simple, fast and reliable. I wish I knew about Open Office a few days ago as I just purchase Microsoft Office for my new computer build. Anyway, I save this link for future reference as will be going to either FireFox or Chrome today or tomorrow when I get some time.
    Thanks!

GrayGhost, Trouble and Brokor like this.
  5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

You might as well send it back and get your money refunded! The best part about Open Office (to me) besides being free, is you can export your work as .pdf (and it costs money with Adobe to do that in Win with MS) --It does everything MS Office does and more. Definitely get Firefox (or Cliqz) because IE is just garbage and Chrome may not be as secure as one would hope.

GrayGhost, ghrit and Trouble like this.
  6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Thanks B! We use 4 on the above list, and just added the Sumatra and Open Office:)

sec_monkey and Brokor like this.
  7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Excellent and helpful post. I already run most of it but a great resource for those who don't!

Brokor and sec_monkey like this.
  8. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

[applaud][applaud][applaud]

sec_monkey likes this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Thanks Broker, Just trying out the FireFox and its much faster than windblows!

Brokor, sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  10. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Already use Firefox and Open Office and VLC and 7zip. Forget when I started using Firefox, it was years ago, but I won't go back to IE now, it's such crap compared to Firefox. Will look into the others next time I'm on wifi.

1. 3M-TA3
  2. aardbewoner
  3. aardbewoner
  4. Brokor
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. DarkLight
  7. Brokor
  8. kckndrgn
  9. kckndrgn
  10. melbo
  11. Brokor
  12. melbo