Freeze Drying just info and who has tips and advice

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Cruisin Sloth, May 24, 2023.

1. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I run a HR 24 version large
    S

Alanaana and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

nice, one of my nieces has a FD but only uses it for "candy" and a local store/shop. I had thought about getting one, not sure I would use it enough to justify the purchase price.
    Still want one though LOL

Alanaana and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We have an old one, not even sure of the brand, but we use it constantly, from Jerky to Fruit, it handles it all with ease! I LOVE my freeze dried fruits, and we have perfected the process, so I can make my little food packs to take along with me when I go flying or hunting/fishing, or just to snack on. They make excellent road trip snacks too!

Sunnyvibes and Alanaana like this.
  4. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I'd love one.....but a few thousand $$, for a WANT (instead of a NEED) isn't in the budget, these days! :rolleyes::(

5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I bought mine in 2020 and had to wait till Aug for delivery of two , They closed the border and there my boxes sat till 2022 your Thanksgiving , I was invited to share a meal with a Friend and picked up one , the other came in Jan 2023.
    Been at it since .. Need to lighten the amount of freezers working this summer while I can harvest solar, and then in winter im not charging batteries over the gray days.
    Sloth

Bandit99, Ura-Ki and Alanaana like this.
  6. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I own one and like it.

7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

So do I.
    Had it a number of years. Problem is, running out of space to store FD foods.

8. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

We got a medium HR last fall. HR had a promotion with $5-600 off and our local Tractor Supply offered a 15% military discount on Veterans Day so it was about a third off. We had talked about getting one for several years so it was a no brainer.

My wife has been afraid of canning for years; not confident of getting it right and then contracting botulism. Also not confident of storage duration and how to know it is too old. Zero risk of botulism with FD and with a 7-10 year shelf life for mylar bags, the storage concern was mitigated also.

We like it a lot. Finishing up 6 doz eggs a friend gave us tonight. Will bag and seal tomorrow and they’ll be good for years.

There are several brands out there now. Each seems to have its own pros and cons. The Cube is expensive but uses an oil free pump which is good.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  9. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

You can get an oil free Vac pump for the HR also. We've had one for several years.
    Got tired of straining the oil for every load and having to clean out the pump.

10. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Yes, you can. I should have mentioned that, thanks for noting it.

The oil free pumps are rather expensive. A HR with the oil free pump option is in the price ballpark of the Cube.

HR now sells their units with their “premier” model pump standard. We have that and it can go a couple dozen loads before needing to do anything with the oil.

Altoidfishfins likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7