Gear Review Fresnel lens solar cooker using TV lens

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by hidden211, Apr 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Primer on fresnel lenses -
    Fresnel lens - Wikipedia

Takeaways-
    -Original fresnel lenses were used to collimate light into a beam, not concentrate it.
    -The way monkey use them is to take light and focus it to a point, exactly the opposite of above.
    -The smaller the lens, the finer the scribed lines must be to achieve a given effect. (See Brokor's pocket lens vs. a light house lens.)
    -If you know someone with limited sight, they may have a linear fresnel that they use to magnify lines of type for reading.

Brokor likes this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I think the issue with using this lens to heat a holding tank is that it would boil. This way of heating would be hard to regulate, IMO. You would start evaporating. I saw a Doomsday prepper episode that used this lens to help purify his water.

GrayGhost likes this.
  3. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Excellent point, @Brokor ....no pun intended!

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I think it's very effective if one could collect the evaporated water because this is called 'distilled water', which is quite safe to drink. The real problem is that it will take time and effort to make it all work, and the water can only be prepared in small batches or else one would only be wasting their time. Using a fresnel lens to heat water can be very ineffective due to heat latency (the energy is not effectively heating water due to the surrounding air) and lest we forget --the weather. But, with small batches and the right lens, it can be done.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bump. I'm still looking out for one of those TV lenses. I do NOT know if those youtube vids are still up.

6. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

They are getting hard to find since the last rear projection tv was made over 10 years ago. I find them on the side of the streets every now and then, but the whole tv has been destroyed.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7