From Bonnie Scotland

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by as1mov, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Happy to have you @as1mov.
    When the sh*t hits the fan we'll all need each other.

2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Welcome, some of my ancestors were Scotch Irish, my grand father on my mothers side, and he used to joke that they were given the choice of leaving Scotland in the 1600's and moving to Ireland or die, and he wasn't convinced that going to Ireland was the right choice in the long run. He felt in the most that he was neither Scotch or Irish, but was proud of his Scotch heritage as seen thur his particular view. The Campbell cousins treated him as sort of a long gone member of the family.

Dunerunner, oldman11, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Welcome from the wet drizzly Pacific Northwest... Married a Scottish woman, you should have warned me! :eek:

4. as1mov

as1mov Monkey

Thanks brother, I consider myself Scottish but my Old Man was as Irish as you could get, beat the kids and wife whenever they need it. je suis en Ecosse, Ich bein ein Schotter, One Dutch guy asked me what part of England I was from??? I asked him which part of Germany he was from, he got the message, I'm a Scot! Scotch is whisky. Kicked around a bit in Most of Europe to Africa but back home for the meantime. I don't drink anymore, interferes with the morphine hehe, but I was always partial to a GOOD 12yr old single malt, in fact I have a bottle of such for 'medicinal' purposes (cleaning ears, toes etc hehe) but it's become a very expensive pastime.
    back before I was forced to retire, I had to travel to ALL the Whisky Distillers in Scotland to do their annual safety tests, electrical, gas etc and always brought my Dad home a bottle of whatever the brand was where I was working, plus they always insisted you had a 'dram' in you for the journey, lovely people. The Gaelic for whisky is Uisce beatha (ooshka bayha) translates as water of life.(I had a Gaelic wife once, mad as a snake!).
    It's 18:48 GMT here now and again I thank you for your welcome. Caber Feidh (warcry of the Scots) means the Alpha Stags Antlers.

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Welcome from the State of Flux! Normally that would be the great state of Colorado, but these days mostly Orygun. Always enjoyed Scotland, had many adventures in and around your beautiful country and the people were amazing!
    Your right about the 2nd here, but we do have a few neat tricks up our sleeves for when they try to come for our guns, mostly we will just shoot them like we did the English when they came!
    Funny Ol World ain't it! Have a dram for me and a dram for Ol 'Betsey the front stuffer, afraid she will be up for a dance soon, as will I!
    Welcome and be welcomed!

Dunerunner, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

‘Waves from Aberdeen :D

7. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Loch Sloidh (Loch Sloy) - This I'll defend.

upload_2019-1-23_16-0-19.

8. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Hi as1mov. Welcome to the chat. Nice bike! Honda CB 750?

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I am of Scotish decent on both side of my family... Father was Gordon and mother was an Erskine.... Geneolgy goes back at least 8 generations... on both sides...

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. as1mov

as1mov Monkey

Thanks Brother, I bought it for £300 ( about $4 US now hehe) and built it up practically from scratch, I had the frame powder coated and totally reworked the mechanicals, only thing that hurt was the tank, oil tank and 'tool' box cover. They were originally metallic Maroon but were unsalvageable so ebay got me a great deal on what you see! I've changed the exhaust to a four into one, sounds great. My brother is a great mechanic, ex Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers, REME for short, he saw more action than my other younger brother who was in the 4Th Royal Tank Regiment, he did a lot of the 'heavy' stuff and worked wonders with the carbs, he was in Germany working on a lot of US kit fresh from Iraq and Afghanistan, the US wanted him to cross the 'pond', he regrets he didn't now.
    She'll do 125mph no problem but I'm too long in the tooth to push it any further hehe. Had to do most of the work outside, wife wouldn't let me in the kitchen, so she had to go! the wife I mean.

Ura-Ki, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. as1mov

as1mov Monkey

Sorry, they're all as mad as snakes, I've went through three of the buggers, no more! but I do love wedding cake!

oldawg, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. as1mov

as1mov Monkey

Good blood, breeding stock my Brother. The TOWN of Erskine is Just down the road from where I live, and William Wallace lived in Elderslie just over the Shire from it Look it up, Erskine played a big part in Scottish History, and the Gordon Highlanders were one the most famed Scottish regiments, you come from Guid stock my Brother. God help them if all the Scots who seem to have a proud lineage over there rise again! Bloody Roman Emperor Hadrian had to build a wall to stop us ravaging him, built from Bo'ness on the river Forth to Old Kilpatrick on the River Clyde, that halved the country and parts of it are still standing!

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and oldman11 like this.
  13. as1mov

as1mov Monkey

This is absolutely amazing,! What a crowd you all are, I've spent more time responding to welcomes and tales of wonder and courage that I've spent on this box all week. God bless you all and keep you safe. It's way past my bedtime now, so to everyone in this August League, I bid you oidhche mhath leat, or as My Great friend Benny Lee from St. Charles, Missouri would have said it, Good night to you all
    Tommy.

14. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Welcome to the Monkey, grab a branch and hang on....

oldman11 likes this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

79 CB750 F4 100 frn basket case bought in (IIRC) 91 (Blown tranny) Brought her back to factory. (Carbs turned out to be the easy part.) I ran out of courage at 105. Crashed twice, resurrected twice, sold when I moved overseas. Wish I still had it, but it would be a garage queen at this point. Dirt roads and old bones, ya sees.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    oldawg, oldman11 and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Welcome aboard

oldman11 likes this.
  17. as1mov

as1mov Monkey

I've got a potential buyer for this joy of mine. Thinking about asking £3000? My old bones are now looking at a Virago 1100, I'd miss all those flies in my beard if I sold my baby! You've got to get back in the saddle brother, I'm a bit broken myself real funny going through the Airport metal detector hehe.
    Tommy

oldawg, oldman11 and Ura-Ki like this.
  18. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

welcome from ,48.003,-125.055,7

Jersey CI / Canuk

oldman11 likes this.
  19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Had to let a 955i trumpet get away. Couldn't pick her up when I dropped her in the gravel. I'm done riding two wheels, I'm afraid.
    (But WHAT a hoot at 110 on the interstate. Yes, I KNOW this.)

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  20. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Welcome aboard mate. I have one of those “McC” surnames so there is a kilt wearing nutter back in the family tree somewhere !

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7