Fuel reminder

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by TnAndy, Jan 29, 2011.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Given the way things are flaring in the middle east right now, and seeing how it could well spill over into Saudi Arabia, and oil could jump to who knows where, it might be a good time to stock, or restock, fuel.

I picked up 2 more 55gal drums this morning at the farm Co-op. 320 bucks.

Just saying.............

damoc and arleigh like this.
  2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Monkey+

Your drums?? Good idea, co-op.

3. TnAndy

Yeah, I try to keep a dozen 55gal drums of diesel and gasoline, plus a 300gal gasoline and 200gal diesel tanks on stands w/hoses.

Everything is topped off now.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Monkey+

Green with envy..........

5. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

Dumb question but when dealing with gas how much space should you allow for any expansion etc...

6. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

How long can you store fuel before it goes bad? I know you can get stabalizer but it's still limited correct? We are considering storing Kero because i have heard it stores longer. We can use it in our Desiel tractors, for heat and for kero lights. Not sure where the best place it to buy fuel in 100gal lots...we don't have any farm co-ops around that i am aware of.

Jason

7. TnAndy

On 55 gal drums, if you put exactly 55 gallons, there are a couple inches above the liquid level....the drum would probably hold 57-58gallons...so the headspace is 'built in' the drum size.

3cyl and SB21 like this.
  8. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Burying several 55 gallon polys today.....

9. TnAndy

PRI-D and PRI-G products are the best stabilizer additives I know of. I've kept gasoline 5 years ( in drums ) with the -G, and same for diesel, with no difference I can tell. "Stabil" ( the most locally available product ) will keep gasoline about a year, tops.

My guess is diesel fuel, you could store about forever. I keep couple drums of kerosene for lamps/etc, but I think you'd want to be careful running it full time in a diesel engine, due to the lesser lubricating properties. ( I know folks that cut their diesel with some kero in the winter )

As to buying 'off road' ( red dye, no road tax, assuming you're in the US ), find a construction contractor that runs dozer/backhoe/etc, and ask them where they buy it. Fuel distributors carry it many places, and will sell in "bulk", which may be anything from 55gal drum on up.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  10. TnAndy

Here's how I move mine around:

[​IMG]

KAS likes this.
  11. MARIA

MARIA Monkey+

PRI-D and PRI-G products WHERE CAN ONE GET THIS?? GREAT INFO, CAN NOT STORE MUCH FUEL, BUT DO HAVE LOTS OF PROPANE AND OTHER FUEL SOURCES. i DO WANT AT LEAST 50 GALLONS OF GAS.

12. TnAndy

Google it. Lot of places online sell it, but I never see it at local stores.

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Gasoline with NO ethanol added, will store for a significant time , IF Sealed up so no Air or Moisture can get to it. Gasoline with ethanol added, can be stored for about 3-4 Months with no Stabilizer, IF in the same conditions as above. ANY of the Diesel Fuels, (Kero, JetA50, Heating 1, Heating 2, Diesel 1, Diesel 2, Biofuel and WVO, can be stored indefinitely, when sealed in containers, against moisture intrusion, and bugs. I have burned diesel#2 that was sealed up 50 years ago, during WWII, and it burns just fine in my stove, or gensets. the BIG problem with Petroleum Product Storage is MOISTURE. You have to get ALL the water out before you seal up the containers. Diesel Fuel Bugs live at the fuel/water boundary, and will clog up ANY Fuel Filter system, right quick. You can burn just about ANY of the Diesel type Fuels in a diesel engine, IF you take care to follow the engines OEMs recommendations, for Lubricity of the Fuel Injection system. Some engines will require an additive, and some will be Lubed with LubeOil from the engines BaseOil itself. Check with the OEM. I run JetA50 VLS (Very Low Sulfur) in my gensets and Oil fired Cookstove, as I live where things can get very cold. I have had NO PROBLEMS with Lubricity in my engines as they all use BaseOil to Lube the Injection Pump system. the last set of gensets that I replaced had over 120K Operational Hours on the Pair of them, when they were replaced. I have over 16K Hours on the pair, I am running now.

Minuteman likes this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

True or false? This thread was created in 2011 since then does anyone feel that gas has changes in that it does not store or perform as well as it did. Today someone was speculating that .g o v has changed the formula somehow so that it will not store as well as it used to. I mentioned stabilizers but this person said it didn't matter. In their opinion the gas has changed making it harder for eq and older vehicles. Not sure if I believe this but would like to know if anyone else thinks this could be true.

Yard Dart likes this.
  15. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I tried to dump a bunch of my fuel cans into my company rig to rotate fuel and was not able to. They have a device in the fuel cap that prevents even a basic refuel via gas can.... that sucks. Anybody have a method to bypass that block in the fuel spout? All of my other vehicles are diesel so I only have one to do this with....

16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

In the can spout? Or in the fill pipe of the vehicle?

17. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Fill pipe has a new device that blocks siphoning..... and the use of a standard fuel can

18. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

That little metal flap that folds inward?

19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Yard Dart standard gas can since when? I just went through getting soaked from my new gas can. The spout is awful.

How Government Wrecked the Gas Can

How Government Wrecked the Gas Can

Yard Dart likes this.
  20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It would seem that Prep'ers should NOW, would be stocking up on Gasoline, or the fuel of your choice, while Prices are LOW.... Get a 55USG Drum, and fill it with $3.00/USG Fuel, add some StaBil, and Seal it up. to keep the Air and Moisture, out....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7