Fuel reminder

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by TnAndy, Jan 29, 2011.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My truck has that feature as well, but it also came with a "mini-funnel" to put in the fill spout to open it up so I can pour gas in from a can.
    Looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    It's stored under the back seat.

I would imagine this would work for any vehicle that has this 'anti-siphon' thing. This also opens the fuel tank for filling as I have no "gas cap" to remove, just open the gas door and insert pump.

stg58, Georgia_Boy and Yard Dart like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

By the way, that anti-syphon flap and grill, can be circumvented, by a 1/4" hose. It is slow. But does work.

3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Thanks for that tip....I will see if I have one in there hiding.

4. kg4jxt

kg4jxt Monkey

don't bury fuel drums. Leaks from fuel stored under the ground have contaminated many aquifers. Build a storage area with a concrete floor and curb, or at least excavate a shallow pit and line it with thick plastic with no seams; you can cover that with some boards to move around, and roof it to keep out rain. But make sure you can inspect the drums for leaks and have a way to collect leaks, before you trash YOUR environment.

5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Using the new smaller diameter pour spouts with the metal line is all that is needed. Or a small stick to move the flapper down.

They can be purchaesd on line attached to the safety cans or even for the Euro Blitz Cans or GI Fuel cans or the newer plastic fuel cans.

6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

IIRC in a lot of truck models you can change over the filler neck by swapping with one from the same model only diesel. Should bolt up the same into the fender and has no spring loaded flap over the opening.

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh yeah, expect uncle stranger danger to start shit in the middle east and hello $4 a gallon gas prices once again.
    A vote for stranger danger was a chance to return to normalcy. Good old normalcy, high gas prices, conflict in the middle east, US military dieing over there, pointless restrictions on our own energy, ect.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

bidumb is fixin' to make all energy prices go up, he's taking down some subsidy programs. Kerry is whispering in his ear on that, economics is too complex for ol' alzie's joe.

9. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I’m having a hard time finding 55 gal drums. No one here has them for sale I’m not going to pay $150.00 for a 55 gal drum,yet. A dumb question,can you use the large plastic thoat for gas? Did I spell that right?
    [flag]

10. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. nkawtg

nkawtg Monkey+++

Good points, just because we love liberty is no excuse to pollute the environment.

Gator 45/70, Cruisin Sloth and SB21 like this.
  12. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'd take a look locally and see if there is a place that sells new and reconditioned drums in a metro area near you. I can pick up a reconditioned 55 gal tight head for around 40 bucks and a new one for under 70.

Uline has them for like 90 bucks
    Steel Drum - 55 Gallon, Closed Top, Unlined S-10759 - Uline

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Check auto dealerships and some auto places , 20 bucks core charge is normal for Canadian
    205-8 L = 55USG .
    Last fuel price drop , I helped move 30 plus cans to SM type folks

14. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Sawmill/pallet operation down the road from me buys their motor oil/trans fluids/etc in bulk 55gal drums, and they always have a couple to give away. Best deal I ran into some years back was stainless steel drums on Craig's list for 50 bucks each....THOSE I would have bought a dozen of if they had them, but he only had 3.

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Gasoila makes a product called Water Finder. It is a paste you put on a stick and put to the bottom of a tank and it will change color if it contacts water. Sold in marine products.

16. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Stainless for 50 bucks? that's a steal!

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  17. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Which is why I jumped on it, believe me. They got some kind of alcohol based racing fuel in them.

VisuTrac, Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  18. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Save the alcohol based fuel for your lawn mower, get thru cutting your yard in half the time.
    [flag]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I wouldn't not use alcohol based fuel in small engines, seeing it eats up the fuel lines and the carb float valve needle which is rubber.

Gator 45/70, 3cyl and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  20. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

I have had nothing but trouble with alcohol in fuel even with stabilizer in my lawnmower, weedeater, chainsaw etc that stuff sucks

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7