Fuel storage in 55 gal. drums

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by fortunateson, Apr 4, 2010.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

There's always the option of converting to wood-gas

charcoal-1In reply to post#40

Even if you converted your gas guzzler to a gas burner...the EPA and car licensing authorities would be over you like a rash.

GasProducer.

charcoal-1

And of course there is the Bug Out gasified motorcycle.....your pillion passenger is highly recommended to be wearing asbestos chaps on their right leg! ; )

gasification - YouTube

Wood gas truck - YouTube

woodgas truck - YouTube

2. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Long term storage of fuel drums is great if you remember that they tend to rust from the inside out at the bottom if the least bit of moisture is in your fuel.Think cycle tanks here.Ethanol increases the risk.Keep them full and sealed like others have said. Rotate them for use and when one is empty inspect them inside as well as outside.Even the coated ones.Trust your eyes as much as coatings.BT,DT.Some newer additives claim to disperse water but from our experience in the shop too many variables to rely heavily on them it seems.

3. Ken_C

Ken_C Monkey

those red plastic gas cans have always worked great for me. they obviously dont rust. I have 4 of the 5 gallon kind and 1 of the 14 gallon fuel caddy kind that i got from northern tool. I refill them as theyre emptied. thats only 34 gallons on hand at any given point but its enough for the moment. my current generator runs on gas. 34 gallons will run it for a couple days. it has a 10 gallon tank thats usually kept full. I do have a blue 55 gallon plastic water drum that I can store diesel in. its also good for biodiesel which has a tendency to rot steel drums. ive been keeping an eye out for a stainless tank of some kind to use for fuel storage. in my line of work i do occasionally come across that sort of thing. we dont have laws like those in arizona. i think a person can store what ever they need fuel wise. there are a lot of farms around here with 55 to 250+ gallon tanks for fueling equipment. my tanks dont pressurize that badly over the summer. never need to worry about them collapsing in the winter ether. i use the red stabil too. seems to work ok for me, but my fuel never stores longer than a year around here. it gets rotated out quickly.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7