Full Auto Rail Gun Prototype

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Silversnake, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

Watch a Fully Automatic Electromagnetic Pulse Rifle Demolish a Laptop

Hand-held, battery powered rail gun firing steel projectiles approximately 3/8 diameter by 2 inches long at 130 fps. Great concept. Would like to see the length of projectile shortened and the increase in velocity. Not rifled, and projectiles keyholed. If he shortened the projectile to 1/2 inch length, I could see MV around 500 fps. Rifle it and then test it for range.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    swampbilly, stg58 and Mike like this.
  2. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

Interesting indeed

swampbilly likes this.
  3. swampbilly

swampbilly Gone Galt

pretty coil

Mike likes this.
  4. bfayer

bfayer Keeper Of The Faith

Very cool. Keep it away from your hard drive :)

5. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

interesting, yes.

Adding rifling may not be possible unless you up the power of the system. You would need contact and a slightly oversized projectile to get it to run in the rifling. may be add some fletchings to stabilize the projectile?

kellory, swampbilly and Mike like this.
  6. Mike

something like a folding fin stabilization? relatively easy to build

swampbilly likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Actually NO, rifling can be added without adding to the Power of the system, Significantly... it is Called "Using Patching" either Paper, or Cloth, and was Modern Technology in the 1700 - 1800s..... ......

swampbilly, Silversnake and Mike like this.
  8. kckndrgn

I guess what is needed is the info on barrel diameter compared to projectile diameter. I am assuming that the first coil stage needs a fairly loose fit to get the moment of the projectile going.

swampbilly likes this.
  9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Rifled lead deer slugs, just have a small bit of fluff like carpet on it's tail to prevent tumble. Adds just a bit of drag.

swampbilly likes this.
  10. BTPost

More than likely the Barrel itself is made from Plastic or Nylon. (Something that wouldn't effect the EM Pulse in the surrounding coils) With the right Coil Setup, and very small Magnetic Strips imbedded in the Projectile, one wouldn't even need rifling. You could cause the Projectile to Spin, while moving it down the Barrel. Phased Pulses, and Timing, could accomplish that easily.... Just takes a lot of Math in the Design....

kckndrgn, swampbilly and Mike like this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

And more expensive bullets. Rare earth magnets are not very cheap, either.

Mike likes this.
  12. BTPost

For the .Mil, Cost is no Object... they have smart projectiles that cost .1 MegaBucks a shot....

Mike likes this.
  13. kckndrgn

@BTPost I was thinking the same thing. Since the pulse is so short having several small magnets that rotated in a spiral down the barrel, since the EM pulse is moving the projectile, having the magnetic field rotate it.

Mike likes this.
  14. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

Does this meet the BATFE definitions of a firearm?

Mike likes this.
  15. Mike

Not yet, but they are certainly writing it in now

16. bfayer

I have no doubt they are trying and probably believe they can go it alone with an executive order, the actual law however (Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. Section 921(a)(3)) states they can't, but when has that stopped them :)

Mike likes this.
  17. BTPost

Exactly... BATFE is bound by the Gun Control Act of 1968 as Amended, and in that Statute, a Firearm, has a very Specific Definition, and by that definition, a RailGun, Air, Powered Gun, or Gun (including Replicas) that was designed and built before 1889 (As I recall the date) is NOT a Firearm, and therefor is NOT Regulated by that Statute. Now that doesn't mean that a RailGun is Legal to OWN. It MAY be Classed in the "Any Other Weapon" Classification, under the NFA Act of 1934 as Amended, or some other NFA Classification. That has yet to be determined by the ATF, as far as I know. Considerable Research would need to be done, before one could come to a conclusion, OR, One could Request a Declaritory Ruling from ATF, and see what they think. I think that course of action would be a VERY DUMB Idea, myself.... .....

18. JLRhiner

JLRhiner Stranger in the Modern World

This one would hurt;

Mike likes this.
  19. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

That's just great, now I want a Gauss rifle. I bet that guy's mom yelled at him for shooting his birthday cake in the living room.

Except for the projos and magazine, everything looked off the shelf. Kudos to him for thinking it up and making it real. Now he needs to develop it and market the thing.

Mike likes this.
  20. bfayer

Like I said the words written in a law have never stopped the government before, but the definition of an AOW in NFA is:

Any other weapon The term ‘‘any other weapon’’ means any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive...

Since the law does not define "explosive" all they need to do is get the Attorney General the draft an opinion that states any magnetic device capable of an EMD over a specific gauss is an explosive device within the meaning of NFA.

See how easy that is. No need for the silly senate or congress to do anything :)

That's what pens and phones are for.

BTPost likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7