Future ammo prices:

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Nomad 2nd, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Nomad 2nd

Nomad 2nd Monkey+++

Future ammo prices: <hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Went to dinner tonight with the owner of a 'Common Name' Ammo company (I was just a tag along.)

He told us that due to the cost of raw materials, ammo prices will continue to rise 'like they have been' throught this year... atleast.

He said every time they buy Copper... it's more expensive for each batch.

Stack it deep.

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Lovely. Looks like I will be shooting more .22 than anything.

3. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Already slowed my shooting down. Stockpiling has increased.

4. hacon1

hacon1 Monkey+++

Already slowed my shooting down. Stockpiling has increased.

Same here!!!

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I know I want to lay in a lot more ammo in the larger cals as well as .22 and will still most likely do most of my shooting with .22 other than keeping some practice up with my daily carry gun and if I could get a .22 conversion for it even a lot of that would probably be .22. I know I went out yesterday and shot about 150 rounds of 9mm then another 250-300 of .22 with the handguns.

6. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

It's too late to stock up on cheap ammo, except maybe 22 and 9mm
    Time to buy food before it spikes too.

7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Also, get into reloading. It's not that hard, just have to pay attention to what you are doing.
    I get "range brass" for most any caliber and some "once-fired" .40S&W. Right now I only shoot .223, .40S&W, 9mm, & .38spl so I just clean and box up the other calibers. Someday I may have a gun chambered in one of them, or I'll take them to a local scrap metal place.

8. Nomad 2nd

Nomad 2nd Monkey+++

Federal is almost done with their 2.5 Billion round Military order.

Some other Ammo company people think ammo will stabalise for a time...

For what it's worth.

9. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

They presses are rolling, and I'm stacking. The copper thieves are even hitting foreclosures now. Funny, copper and lead and brass could be more valuable than gold some day. Any metal you can melt and form. Blacksmith monkeys!

10. the dog

the dog Monkey+++

we will never see cheap ammo again.at local gun show a few weeks ago i noticed alot of the ammo was jsut not to be had like in the past.i dont shoot that much...but i hate the thoguth of being at the mercy of a ammo company now.i am looking at getting a reloader...at sportsamn warehouse i seen the deluxe rockchucker for $279.i noticed 300 savage in federal blue box was $26.at that price it wont take long to recover cost.i may get all the goodies now to reload so at least i gottem.we aint seen nothing yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

FWIW, my source of reloaded target shotshells tells me that shot is going thru the roof. He thinks that pretty soon he won't be able to compete with the mfrs.

12. NWPilgrim

NWPilgrim Monkey++

If shot is more expensive for you then it will be for the ammo manufacturers, too. I was think like you when I was looking to get some more rifle brass and bullets.

But, I ran the numbers again and even for .223 I can still reload for about half the cost of bulk ammo. Powder is the only thing I haven't seen yet go up 30% - 50%.

The dollar is probably going to keep diving in value so all material goods will have to cost more dollars, including ammo and components.

13. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Reload, reload, reload! I spent $100 this wkend on .223 and .45ACP supplies...but I will get more blasting out of that than just buying ammo by far, and that included primers, powder and bullets. I have buckets of brass from the local LEO range:D

14. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have been going to auctions to find lead shot and it isn't there! I used to go to farm auctions and the such to find my lead shot for reloading and was successful enough that I can't remember the last time I bought a new bag of shot. I haven't found a bag of shot since I have been back. I have asked others to look for me and they are not finding it either. I have been trying to pick up wheel weights at garages and such for awhile now and am being turned down more and more often. If you haven't laid it in by now, you are cruisin for a bruisin.

15. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

Well i cant invest in gold cause its throgh the roof and dont trust my money in the banks I want something tangeble so their is still some cheap ammo out their you can buy sell as much or little as you want make a profit and you moeny is safe if the TSHTF well you it wont matter cause you have the ammo already...

16. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

Just remember in a SHTF situation, well I guess when it cools off a bit. Take your shovel to the old range and dig up all the lead in the burm. Melt it and make more.[beer]

17. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

With the week dollar i dont see how prices can go down and theirs another thing called Fuel. What do you guys think when the last gulf war happened how long did it take for ammo to come back down?

18. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

It never went back down. It aint getting cheaper in teh future either. If you can find it at a reasonable price - buy it.

19. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Fortunatly, when I start to cast my own bullets, I work for an indoor range. No digging needed with our trap. Just turn on the "trap cleaner" and collect the lead in a bucket :D. Now the downside is there is still a lot of crap in with the lead (parts of lights, wood, shotgun wads, etc.) But I'm sure that will be easy to filter out of a pot of melted lead.

20. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Went to Cabela's yesterday to pickup some .308 win brass. None. They checked their inventory nationwide, none. That's the only item I'm lacking. Federal sp were 15.00 a box for 20, so I got that. Found 100 .45 magtech bullets for 16.00 though. I'll go to the range again shoot five rounds and do another pickup of used brass. Maybe I'll find some there.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7