Gamma Seal Lids???

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by tedrow42, Mar 27, 2015.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Not quite new, but stored long term until recently. This was the ad I remembered, and there are a couple of diffrent links here, in this short thread.

Tall .50 cal Ammo Cans USGI CJL Enterprize 2 for $45.00 shipped | Survival Forums

tulianr likes this.
  2. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

Most restaurants have food grade buckets, give some kid a buck a piece to save them you can come up with a bunch in a hurry!
    In a pinch, Go to the paint store, Those are water proof and the seal is airtight. They wont degrade unless subjected to UV rays for a long time. That's what I use. You can find food grade 30 gallon drums as well, I have found a source that had Soda Syrup in them. I bleached them out, good to go. 5 gallon buckets are easier to load out if you had to split in a hurry, but, if you just need a place to store bulk, they work fine.

Tully Mars likes this.
  3. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

take it from someone that's been preserving food all their life and a professional in the field .... as an administrator you take responsibility for credible information - it makes or breaks a prepper website ... when posted info endangers members health and safety YOU should be taking action - didn't see any retort - still don't ....

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

"didn't see any retort - still don't"
    "Retort:" say something in answer to a remark or accusation, typically in a sharp, angry manner.

It sounds like you are trying to start a flame war. I saw a rant.

I found your rant to indicate a lack of understanding of what a food worthy ammo can for storage is. I did not see a request for any information as a "professional in the field" would have required.

A ammo can is a container for completed ammunations, not for the storage of chemicals.

Ammo as a basic definition are products completed in a very clean factory and sealed for long term storage. Often the product is also sealed in a plastic heat sealed water proof pack.

I pressure wash the inside and outside of all Ammo Cans and inspect them for damage.

I do all my storage work in a safe manner.

HK

Tully Mars and tulianr like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Take it from an admin that intends to maintain a civil site. You may have good intentions, but uncivilly stated, therefore the chiding. Your creds are not established on this site. Warning number two.
    By the way, the site takes no responsibility for accuracy of facts or opinions expressed and presented by the members. All are expected to do their own due diligence.

Tully Mars likes this.
  6. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

@Illini Warrior, as an individual member, I was offended by your language and as a Mod, I was offended by your demeanor in questioning an administrator to our site. As a new member maybe you haven't had the opportunity to read the CoC but I'm suggesting that it might be in order

7. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

@Illini Warrior - You and I are (or at least were) on another survivalist site together in the past. Let me state for the record that while I don't know you personally, I never had a run in with you on that other site. Personally I think Kev was an absentee landlord for all intents and purposes and that's one of the reasons I don't frequent there anymore. When they made "name" an admin, I knew it was time for me to leave (I think you know what site I'm referring to). That being said, this site is a whole lot different than that one. Different demeanor, different tone and yes, different rules.

I noticed a couple of things almost immediately upon moving here:
    • The level of knowledge on this site is staggering (in a good way), both wide and deep
    • The people are much more accepting sooner and with wider open arms
    • You (royal you, not you you) don't have to come across as full of piss and vinegar right off the bat to secure your position in some hierarchy. Everyone starts at the same level and then moves up or down from there rather than starting in the barrel and working their way out.
    • It was wise of me to check a lot of my preconceptions at the door because the longer I've been here, the more I've learned that there aren't just a dozen ways to skin a cat but hundreds upon hundreds.
    • Not everyone presents themselves or their ideas in the most cogent manner or with all of the possible steps, warnings, caveats or legalese but there have only been a couple of "gunkid" wannabes here in over the last...however long I've been here. That other site seemed to have one every 4-6 weeks.
    Now, I'm not saying you were trolling, because I don't think you were, but go back and take yourself out of the equation and reread your post and if you are intellectually honest with yourself (which I know you can be because I saw you do it on the other board), do you really think your post wasn't the least bit inflammatory or offensive? Again, I think I've read enough from you to know that isn't how you roll.

Lastly, take a deep breath before you get a vacation, please. You don't even have to apologize, just move on and let it be in the past and everyone else will too. You have a lot to offer based on the other site, please stick around and offer it.

***Note***
    @Illini Warrior & Everyone Else - I chose to put this in the thread rather than in a private message because I wanted everyone else to know what I think I know about you, not to call you out.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Ganado, Yard Dart, vonslob and 6 others like this.
  8. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

We use gamma seal buckets for long term storage and for immediate needs. Never had a bucket fail and we stack them three high, but cracking lids is something we will watch for in the future. Never used mylar bags but am going to start. Usually we toss out dry goods that are past their expiration date. Since I have been here I too have learned there is more than one way to skin at cat.

tulianr and tedrow42 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7