Garden Advice Needed.

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Motomom34, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I planted my corn and it all came in. I made the mistake of not thinning. I now have stalks that are 4-5 feet tall but no tassels. I have read that because of the crowding, this is why I am not getting any ears.

It is now August and my garden boxes are too full. I was thinking of thinning the corn because it is not producing. If I pull the corn it may damage the shallow root system. Can I cut stalks and leave the roots? Will the roots of the cut stalks still grow? Should I get rid of it all? Is it too late to produce ears?

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Here is a link that might answer your question. As you said, you did not thin them early on but it is not to late to thin, at ground level and give the remaining a chance to produce... worst that happens is a small harvest (lessons learned)...let mother nature do her magic and see what develops.
    How to Thin Corn Plants | eHow

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Thank you YD! The package said plant two seeds together so they can lean on each other but I had never heard of that. This helps me campaign for a bigger garden.

Yard Dart likes this.
  4. Yard Dart

Good luck with the campaign, you can never have enough space.... Wish I had more room as well, but currently limited in area...

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Yard Dart

6. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Any late corn? We are getting our first crops of Blue Lake beans, green peppers, and potatoes from our late garden beds. Okra has not produced but is blooming now--will not be long. Our first garden did nothing---rained way too much.

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I got one ear of corn. ONE!!!! So no corn planting next year. It just doesn't produce. This is the second year of wasted space. I actually cleared out the garden last weekend because the sun has shifted and the nights are getting colder so it just wasn't producing anymore.

Silversnake likes this.
  8. Yard Dart

Bummer.... well at least next year you will be able to adjust to what did succeed this year!!

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Broccoli & carrots took off. I got some seeds off line and they took off. SO I will be planting double of each next year.

I am still perplexed at what destroyed my kale. Both varieties were full of holes but I never saw a bug on them. I am unsure what would have done that. Anyone had issues with kale?

10. Yard Dart

We have a ton of assorted peppers , tomatoes, yellow zuchini, spices, buttercup squash, broccoli, strawberries and green beans producing really well. Our spring was wet and cool, so we had a few victims. Next year I will double at least what I am planting..... but living in a sub-division does have its limits. Hope to change that next year as well and get some land to spread out on.

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I need to get some good green bean seeds. My first attempt the beans were sour. I just want basic green beans but no seed package says- "normal basic green beans"

12. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Corn needs to be seeded in a dense pack and the rows should be 10 by 10 or more in a square . It sounds like maybe you are not getting good pollination. If you plant two or three rows it just does not pollinate correctly.

13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Wandered over to my neighbors and saw her garden. I noticed that her squash leaves were shriveled and died at the source. My squash did the same. At the base of the plant the leaves started dying but the runners were fine. Eventually it worked down the runners but it was a slow dying. I don't recall ever seeing this. I read a squash vine bore but can it be in two different gardens a mile apart?

1. Alanaana
    I have so much weeding to do!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. duane
  3. kckndrgn
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. DKR
  6. Oltymer
  7. Airtime
  8. Legion489
  9. Ganado
  10. Too Country
  11. DarkLight
  12. Motomom34
  13. azrancher