Garden Herbs and Medicine: Grow, Harvest, Use

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Ganado, Apr 15, 2015.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Little tiny bullets?;)

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Who knew we had an herbal society of America. .. they have some nice resources

HSA Library Resource List

Here is the link to Lemon Balm and why you need it in your garden =)

They have info graphs in nearly all herbs. Just search for the one you want and download the pdf

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Dunerunner, Tully Mars and kellory like this.
  3. kellory

Actually, that kind of question crossed my mind a few days ago. I am not a serious gardener, mostly trees, tomatoes, simple stuff, but I was thinking of starting a thread on duel use herbs, things we should be planting for more than one use, and what those uses are.
    Example, tobacco to smoke, chew, or bee stings and bites.
    But I think someone more knowledgeable on the subject would do a better job of it.
    Do you want to give it a shot? Or suggest someone else?

Ganado likes this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I was trying to do that here. Most herbs have multiple uses. Do we need a new thread?

I'm ok either way just have been trying to group herbs by ones I use the most

kellory likes this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  6. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Have you
    Did you add a carrier oil to the oregano? It is considered a HOT essential and you need to blend some carrier into it. Grapeseed or Sweet almond carrier oils are really good with oregano.

Dunerunner, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  7. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Eucalyptus or tea tree oil is good for an infection.

Dunerunner, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

That would be a snap to fabricate.

Ganado likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have used it blended but it just never sits well. I used this stuff once and it was painful.
    SinuOrega Nasal Spray - The Oreganol P73 Nasal Spray

10. kellory

A large C clamp and a short piece of pipe, would suffice....

Tully Mars likes this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Everyone has a different reaction to oregano oil. I use it straight on external for me but not on tender areas like nose, lips or any other very soft tissue.

TBH i prefer thieves oil for infections over oregano. Here are a couple of recipe for making it.

Thieves Oil recipes:

1. Equal amounts of eucalyptus, rosemary, cinnamon, clove and lemon. Mix with base of olive oil. I usually put a tablespoon of each in a 2 oz. bottle and then fill the rest with olive oil. you can make a larger batch in a quart jar following the same proportion method.

1. Same ingredients, but measured out in different strength's. Clove Bud Oil 200 drops, Lemon Oil 175 drops, Cinnamon Oil 100 drops, Eucalyptus Oil 75 drops, Rosemary 50 drops.

Dunerunner, Tully Mars and pearlselby like this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Comfrey

Another member posted a great post on this plant. I posted this because I was looking for what to plant around the chicken house for cover crop and shade. It turns out comfrey is a great forging item for chickens. This link gives medicinal uses as well.

Comfrey! | Survival Forums

14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Motomom34 I just tried diapers for straining instead of cheese cloth. It strains slower but I got a clearer extract using the dippers and they are cheap on Amazon.

Note: buy fresh diapers don't use ... used diapers ;)

Tully Mars and Dunerunner like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Brokor and Tully Mars like this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

For Infections, I haven't figured this out yet but this is a translation from a Anglo-Saxon Leech book called 'Baldwin's Leech' Nottingham University tested it and it proved to be better than most antibiotics. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/news/pressreleases/2015/march/ancientbiotics—a-medieval-remedy-for-modern-day-superbugs.aspx

Work an eye salve for a wen, take cropleek and garlic, of both equal quantities, pound them well together, take wine and bullocks gall, of both equal quantities, mix well with the leek, put this then into a brazen vessel, let it stand nine days in the brass vessel, wring out through a cloth and clear it well, put it into a horn and about night time apply it with a feather to the eye; the best leechdom

So save your Bullocks gall =)

17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

A new carrier oil. Not native so probably not going to grow it but apparently they make rum and medicine using different parts. The leaves have some nice medicinal properties.
    Ravensara Oil - Agathophyllum aromatica
    Ravensara oil.....

This plant is a member of the Lauraceae or laurel family.

The bark of the tree is used to make local rum. The seeds are known as Madagascan nutmeg and are used in cooking and medicines.

Outrigger on Nosy Komba Beach,Nosy Komba,Antsiranana, Madagascar

Botanical Name - Agathophyllum aromatica or also known as Ravensara aromatic

Common Method Of Extraction - Steam distilled

Parts Used - Leaves

Note Classification - Middle

Aroma - Slightly spicy, camphory, woody herbaceous

Largest Producing Countries - Madagascar

Properties - Antibiotic, anti-infectious, antiseptic, antitoxic, antiviral, expectorant, and febrifuge.

Benefits - Bronchitis, chicken pox, cold sores, colds, diarrhea, fatigue, fever, flu, general tonic, measles, and muscular pain.

Blends Well With - Bay, bergamot, black pepper, cardamom, cedarwood, clary sage, cypress, eucalyptus (all), frankincense, geranium, ginger, grapefruit, lavender, lemon, mandarin, marjoram, palmarosa, pine, rosemary, sandalwood, tea tree, thyme linalol, and thyme red.

Safety Data – Ravensara oil is non-toxic, non-irritant, and non-sensitizing

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    pearlselby likes this.
  18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

PLAINTAIN - Plantago Major
    perennial, 12" grows anywhere, sun, shade, self propagating. You can find it all over the United States and Canada. (can become invasive so use it heavily)
    USES -
    Properties - Astringent, diuretic herb,antibacterial, expectorant, promotes healing
    Externally - wounds, bites, bee stings. Particularly useful as a first-aid poultice and for dental infections.
    Internally - bronchitis, cystitis, diarrhea . Internally for . Externally for wounds, stings, etc.
    [​IMG]
    HOW TO USE:
    Chew - For small wounds or stings and bites, grab a leaf chew it and put mushed leaf on the sting or wound.
    Steep in hot water for larger wounds
    Steep like a tea or for stronger version like an infusion use 2-3 times as much herb
    you can use dried or fresh with hot water and put on clean cloth then place on wound. The key to whether you use as a poultice directly or with a cloth bag. is the size of the opening of the wound and you have to use some judgement.

Can mix with other herbs like comfrey.

EDIBLE:
    yes
    More pictures here
    Plantago major - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Plants Profile for Plantago major (common plantain)

19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Tully Mars, Brokor and BlueDuck like this.
  20. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Rosemary is amazing. Sailors and folks who eat reef fish may encounter Ciguatera -pretty nasty. Although there is no reported cure for Ciguatera poisoning, you could treat the effects with some common herbs since the condition may last months or even years in severe cases intermittently. The key ingredient is rosmarinic acid, and it can be found in basil, rosemary, lemon balm, sage, peppermint, and marjoram. Also, a common plant in Europe known as "self-heal" link: Prunella vulgaris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  11. Alanaana
  12. Ariasmith
  13. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
  20. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7