Garden Herbs and Medicine: Grow, Harvest, Use

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Ganado, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Anyone have any experience using Lichen for wounds? My grandmother use to use it on the hunting dogs to stem blood flow and she said 'prevent infection' because teh dogs wouldn't lick it off. It tasted kind of peppery and was a grey green color and looked like lace.
    I think this is it but not positive identification. I can find it in the woods but not on the internet =)

Useful Links
    [​IMG]
    lichen | Silphium Food

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

it grew on oak i think, i just wondered if anyone has actually tried it on humans. If I find it again I will post.

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Did you see the picture on page 10 of the link? Some lichen is bad but the stuff that is green and grows on pines seems to be the good stuff. That picture you posted actually looks like a filler plant you can buy at a nursery for your flower garden. I know I have seen a plant that looks like it. But if yours came off a tree then it is lichen.

Ganado likes this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Another way to preserve herbs is in alcohol needs to be 96 proof
    In italy its called' Amaro' and each region has its own flavor. The emphasis is on local grown herbs. Below are a couple of recipies but you can make your own from things grown in your area.

Summer Amaro
    • 5 cups good quality vodka
    • alpine strawberries
    • anise hyssop
    • jujubee berries
    • bay leaf
    • basil
    • basil mint
    • calendula
    • coriander seeds
    • fennel seeds
    • hops
    • lemon balm
    • lemon grass
    • lemon verbena
    • lovage seeds
    • marjoram
    • nigella seeds
    • golden oregano
    • pineapple sage
    • plum
    • rosemary
    • rose petals
    • sage
    • tarragon
    • thyme
    Taste daily the first week, and giving it a good shake, making sure all the ingredients stay submerged in the vodka. After two weeks, decide if the Summer Amaro is robust enough, or if you want to keep it infusing for another week or two. Four weeks is usually plenty of time for this infusion. When the Summer Amaro is declared ready, Strain it and give it a taste. It might need a bit of simple syrup. The fruit and berries in this creation are seem to be plenty of sweet.

A 'Bitters' Version of Amaro
    • Herbs
    • Grapefruit
    • Fruit
    • Spices
    • Vodka
    • Raw organic cane sugar
    • Water
    1. Pick a selection of herbs from your garden. Or your neighbour's herb planter, or a friend's, or whatever is available at your local store. With emphasis on local. You want to highlight what grows in your region. I have several kinds of oregano and thyme, a few sprigs of mint (wanted the subtle taste), rosemary, some sage, and lavender.
    2. Put the herbs in a large wide mouth jar, add rind and juice from half a grapefruit as the bittering agent, and half a fruit local to your area. I had an Ambrosia apple.

3. Find some of your favourite spices and add to the mix, if desired. I'm a pepper fan, so added some bright red peppercorns. And fennel fronds and stalks, as it's one of my favourite vegetables.
    4. Pour in vodka to cover the herbs, screw the lid on tightly.
    5. Leave to infuse away from direct sunlight for at least four weeks, shake the jar once a day.
    6. After the four to six weeks have passed (a bit longer is fine, work with your calendar), make the simple syrup using equal parts of water and raw organic cane sugar (1.5 cup of each for this batch). Do not use regular white sugar.
    7. Drain off the herbs and spices and add the simple syrup to the remaining liquid. And taste! Now it gets really exciting.
    8. Leave in a glass jar or pour directly into bottles with a tight-fitting closure. Be patient for another two weeks, let the flavours mellow, again out of direct sunlight.
    9. When the two weeks are up, find yourself a pretty liqueur glass, pour in your homemade Amaro, sip, and enjoy. This makes a great gift for the Holidays.

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Dunerunner, Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

THis lemon basil has been alive in this jar with no aeration and only water changes for over one year. Bedtime I will get a darker container because this container let's some light in and causes algie browth

so I had to spray it with some anti algae and fungal spray made from neem oil and oregano. This is a good all around antifungal for all stages of growth.

This is a recipe for antifungul that I got from a friend of mine who has large green houses. He helped me Taylor this for small personal indoor gardening. I use it for rinsing seeds (or you can use hydrogen peroxide diluted with water) and I spray once a week on Sunday on my micro greens.

1/2 t Potasium Bicarbonate
    10 Drops dawn (emulsifier)
    15 drops Neem oil (cold pressed)
    15 drops Oregano oil
    1 liter water

shake it up. a little goes along way
    [​IMG]

this basil was trilmmed back heavily and the water changes 2 weeks later it looks like this

[​IMG]

below is a picture of the roots you can see I did not get rid of all the algae
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    My outdoor orchid blossomed today!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 22, 2024 at 19:09, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    It's time for my yearly lychee progress picture!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  16. Alanaana
  17. Ariasmith
  18. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7