Agriculture Garden: How much do you need to plant for your family for a year?

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Ganado, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Carport Frames cost a fraction of what the Green House and High Tunnel frames cost and are easier to work with with the square pipe rather than the round. Also don't have the headache of bending all that pipe. I have gotten in the habit of scavenging storm damaged ones until I have enough to put together something........... and often times people will pay you to haul them off :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Gator 45/70 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Thanks @Thunder5Ranch
    Don't go out in the ice ..
    How is the half rounds handle the snow ? worst we get here is 14" / night as I have seen , then im into snow rakes for solar clearing etc.

Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

The Tunnel that went with the 6 acres and house I sold up North had 27" of snow accumulated on it once and was straining. BUT I had put a 6x6 beam(s) down the center with 4x4 legs every 10 feet holding it up and it had the side to side supports as well. Even with that 3 of the pipe sections buckled on one end and snapped the 4x4 there like a match stick. Was a wet heavy snow preceded by freezing rain. Which just made the snow cling to the ice on the film and next to impossible to push off. Worst I have had on these was the 2009 ice storm here with around 2" of ice accumulating on them in a few spots but ice is easy. A 10' 2x4 with a T on the end and wrapped in old cloth, towels whatever....... just go inside and bump the roof with that and the ice breaks and slides right off. Snow they won't take much of without center and cross braces, at 4" they start straining at 8"-10" they collapse. SO if there is going to be a big snow (which is rare here) I have some 3' push brooms with 20' telescoping handles that reach the top and just drag the snow off every 2-3 inches that accumulates on them. Makes for some long cold days and nights on occasion but beats $10,000-$15,000 tunnel all flattened out on the ground :)

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  4. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Not uncommon to have 10-12 people drop in and it would just be unsocialable to not put a big pot of Chili or Spaghetti Sauce on the fire whilst were are shooting and blowing stuff up :) Course if I quit feeding them...... maybe not so many would stop by LOL. It always starts with one or two and then someone calls one and "Hey What ya doin?"............ "We are out at Mike's Shooting Stuff." ................ "Cool I will be there in 30 minutes." Soooo about once a month give or take we go through some Tomato Juice :)

Wild Trapper and Ganado like this.
  5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Thank You T5R

Great info

1. Alanaana
  2. oil pan 4
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Media

Avocado_tree

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Media

You're_fat

But you're good fat!
  7. Alanaana
    I love the end of summer.
  8. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. JC Refuge
  10. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 10, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Dunerunner
  13. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
    Smells heavenly
  15. Alanaana
    Avocadoes
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
    I think it's 20lbs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
    Is coffee better than bananas?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7