Garden protected from spring frost threat 4/7/17 East TN

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Oltymer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Started 125 early okra in the greenhouse on 2/26, lost most after deep chill a couple of weeks ago, then transplanted 32 survivors to the outside garden 4/3. Planted okra seed to make up for the losses on 3/27. Planted 2 rows of blackeyed peas. Have the threat of frost tonight so I put pinned down paper bags over most the transplanted okra and the rest under empty glass jars, and pinned down plastic over the blackeyed peas. Keeping my fingers crossed. 001.JPG 002.JPG

2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Good luck. Frost guard will help for a couple degrees of frost, wall of water etc works best but expensive. Have to get my act together, greenhouse 90 degrees on a good sunny day, but still freezing now and then at 5 am. Have wood stove, but have to get up at 2 am to feed it. To this point I have just let it freeze, but may try to grow stuff next year.

Oltymer likes this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Looks like you've got things covered ;)
    Hope all works out ok and you don't lose any more plants!

Motomom34, Sgt Nambu and Oltymer like this.
  4. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

Hope it all does well. Now us we don't dare plant anything. Not until like middle of May or even after. Supposed to snow here tomorrow.

5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

That stinks, Sara...we just pulled the first tomatoes off today...

6. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Wow, duane, have you considered an electric heater for the brief times it would run? Seems much better than losing your crop!

7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

IMG_0866.JPG We use a small cold frame, made from a window on a box that is cut to angle the glass toward the spring sun. We prop it open a couple of inches during the day and close it at night. If we're expecting freezing we cover it with a folded moving blanket we got at Harbor Freight.
    Oh yeah, we have the outer sides banked up around 3" with soil, to help insulate it. It's much like this one!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Motomom34 and sarawolf like this.
  8. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

We got 5 inches of snow today.

Motomom34, techsar and Sgt Nambu like this.
  9. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

You'll have to plant snow peas! :D

10. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Sounds like where I used to live. Now I remember why I used to live there.
    I have a photo of the deck on the back of my house with a measuring tape stuck in the snow 10" deep. The date stamp on the photo was sometime in the second week of May.

sarawolf and techsar like this.
  11. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

You guys are killing me. I still have 12 inch of snow to melt before I can even see my garden area. I do have a thermal garden in the front of Das Haus - my Spring flowers are making a good show so far. Vegis go in the garden. Sigh. Maybe this May. Maybe.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    sarawolf, oldman11, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  12. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

LOL if makes you feel better loading up for the first Farmers Market of 2017 last Friday Morning in Southern IL :)

DSC00386.JPG

1. Alanaana
    I have so much weeding to do!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. duane
  3. kckndrgn
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. DKR
  6. Airtime
  7. Legion489
  8. Ganado
  9. Too Country
  10. DarkLight
  11. Motomom34
  12. azrancher
  13. Ganado