Gardening Plans For the Summer

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Yard Dart, Mar 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Well this year I deviated from my plan a bit. I expanded my garden area and built new planter boxes. I picked up a lot of soil as well and prepped to move forward.... But instead I was sucked into our churches commnity garden project and I decided to save my gardening efforts for the project instead. I just added all the seeds I had purchased for use with this summers garden and instead placed them into my seed bank I am trying to build.
    The links to the garden we did at our church are below. We used the produce from the garden, for our food bank we have set up on site, for community & church members in need.
    2014 Church Garden Project | Survival Monkey Forums
    Fall 2014 Church Garden | Survival Monkey Forums

Benjamin A. Wood and Brokor like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bump. Time for you farmers (and pseudo farmers) to start thinking actively.

techsar, Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Potatoes and a few onion's
    For the deer,corn
    For the doves milo and sunflowers

techsar likes this.
  4. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

i think I will raise fish this year,that’s how wet it is here

techsar, Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Planted a few other things
    Peach tree,apple,pear,hazelnut, blueberries, fig
    Checked my pecan tree, Its not looking to good
    May have to plant more pecan trees?

techsar likes this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

For real,Sinking a tractor is very certain!

techsar and Yard Dart like this.
  7. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Onions, potatoes, carrots, lettuce in the ground, along with spaghetti squash. Blueberry bushes and raspberry canes starting to take off (only the second season for these.)

Tomatos on the agenda for tomorrow...eta: tomatos in, along with some sweet bell peppers.

Need to replace a post on the grape arbor...blasted termites :mad:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

We added 3 more fruit trees this year to make a total of 15 trees , 12 grape vines , Raspberry , strawberry , so far are started. Tomatoes of 3 types .
    S

9. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I noticed (2 years ago), that one of my 4x8 grow boxes had some pretty heavy wood rot, on the end boards.....and I can't imagine that it's improved, over the last 2 seasons! ;)

So my plan is to move the well seasoned dirt from that box, and transfer it to two 100-gallon grow bags I got, from Amazon, last year. Should take ~13 cubic feet per bag, and there's 32 cubic feet in that box, so that leaves me ~6 cubic feet (~50 gallons) of dirt. Those two bags will have tomatoes (etc.) in one, and sweet potatoes in the other (which should work better than the bag I grew sweet potatoes in, last year, as they're deeper).

The 100 gallon grow bag that housed my sweet potatoes, last season, will be emptied, to fill the newly modified box, which will now be 2x8 in size, and turned 90 degrees from its current position. I dumped a bunch of mulched leaves in that bag, last fall, and shoveled soil on top of it, so they've had all winter to start decomposing. I can dump some freshly chopped material into the box, so I have nitrogen provided, to go along with the chopped dead leaves carbon, and enrich the dirt in that box. I'll be growing beans in that box, this year, too (more nitrogen!).

The other 4x8 box, will have cukes, carrots, sweet peppers, potatoes (purple ones! :eek:) and various herbs, this year. Oh, and a shitload of marigolds, too! ;)

Finally, with some newly mixed soil (and what's left, after filling the 2x8 box, I'll move the old 100 gallon grow bag that I just emptied (so much easier to move, empty! LOL), and put some hot peppers in there, this year. Picked up some seedlings, a couple weeks ago, that are growing tall and strong indoors right now....
    ...Thai Dragon peppers, and GHOST peppers!! [reddevil]

Finally, I picked up a pair of blueberry plants, this past weekend, and will at least be putting those into pots, this year (hopefully, into their permanent home, aboveground boxes, once we cool off, after summer. That way, they can spend the Texas winter establishing themselves there. (y)

Motomom34, techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Going to do a combo of no dig and tire gardening. The Zukes will go into tires this year....

1. Elessar
  2. tacmotusn
  3. tulianr
  4. CATO
  5. CANDY fISHER
  6. DebfromAZ1
  7. tacmotusn
  8. Mountainman
  9. ChemicalGal
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7