Gardening Tips

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by ozarkgoatman, Mar 25, 2007.

1. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Not to my knowledge, I know in some places you can buy them bailed for mulch.

OGM

2. andy

andy Monkey+++

so i could use them for compost? [dunno] if yes how?...

oh and before i forget thanks again for the help

3. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Andy,
    From what I have read on pine needles, yes you can use them in compost but they will decompose rather slowly. You will need to grind or chop them up to help speed up the process.

The slow decomp is why pine needles are sometimes used for mulch around trees and flower beds.

4. andy

andy Monkey+++

oh......wich would be why i see people raking them against there trees and such. when we moved in the former owners had raked the needles against the fence and around the one pine tree on are lot, i thought they were just moving them out of the way. i thought i'd have to pick them up and reseed the back yard to get grass to grow. when i went to a certain chain store they tried to sell me a bunch of stuff. to help in "correcting the problem"

THANKS

5. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

One of my little tricks is to lay down several sections of newspaper and pike the needles on top. The newspaper allows water to penetrate to the plants but stops weed growth. Note - use black and white newsprint pages only, no color or shiny paper.

6. andy

andy Monkey+++

if you don't mind whats "pike"? sorry i'm REALLY new to this. all i know is how to dig a hole, put a plant in it, and cover it with soil...i know this might sound ignorant but when it comes to gardening i am.

7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

LOL - my typing wasn't so good - "pile" the needles on top

8. andy

andy Monkey+++

lol, o ok now i get it... i'll try marigolds like OGM suggested i'll try the bedding plants, i'll dig down deep enough to allow for the roots to have room. do i need to add anything to the soil i put in around the roots/plant like ground up pine needles or store bought fertalizer? i'll fill in the space and cover up the fresh dirt(or mix) with newspaper and then cover with pine needles... sound good? just want to make sure i got is right...

9. RightHand

I'm cheap so don't count on me for expensive tips.

Cheap trick on fertilizer - for plants and trees needing nitrogen rich soil, save up your egg shells and when they have dried out, make a power of them using the blender and use that in the soil.

Another cheap trick - if you have goldfish and change the water, use the old water for your garden. Excellent fertilizer. I kept getting bigger fishtanks as the goldfish grew not realizing that they would grow in proportion to the tank size. When I finally had a 2ea 50 gallon tanks, a very expensive filteration system and pumps, and 3 now fully grown carp, I had to change the water weekly since the fish put out so much waste. I was feeding pond pellets. I used to run a siphon hose from the tank through the window to a garden outside. I've had lots of gardens and lots of plants but never any as nice as those.

10. andy

andy Monkey+++

COOL! i'll try the eggs thing, i like the fish thing too but alas no fish :)

11. RightHand

Goldfish are cheap and if they die, instead of the porcelain funeral, bury them in your garden - lessons learned from the native Americans

12. andy

andy Monkey+++

would one of those small wal-mart/lowes ponds work? my wife thought they looked pretty. i haven't had fish since my last duty station(had to give them away in the move) still have the tank though. good ideas all around i'll keep them in mind.

is there any truth to pouring beer around your tomatoes to make them taste better and placing egg shells around your plants to help guard against some bugs one of my teachers told me this back in high school

13. RightHand

The pond might work. As for the beer, I can think of better things to do with my beer than pour it on plants. I'll take a more direct approach to getting it into my body.[LMAO]

14. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

I love cheap gardening tips! Here are some more with egg shells (and coffee grounds):

Make sure to rinse egg shells before using them in the garden (I'm not sure why - I was told to do it and I have. Someone might be able to tell us if this is a myth or not).

Place egg shells in a circle on top of the ground surface around tender plant stems such as peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage to deter slugs (we have lots of slugs around here and this really works) and cutworms.
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Put egg shells in the soil (blend like RH suggested) near tomatoes. Calcium is [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]very[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] useful to tomatoes because the extra calcium will help prevent blossom end rot. [/FONT][/FONT]

Use them with coffee grounds. Egg shells provide calcium to your garden while coffee grounds provide a high content of nitrogen to your garden. Calcium and nitrogen supplements (egg shells and coffee grounds) will help keep your garden soil and plants healthy. ​

15. RightHand

Unless I need need to make fertilizer, all my coffee ground and egg shells go into my compost pile. Also, when I am raising worms, I use them in the worm farm bed. Talk about good fertilizer - the worm bed is all nutrient when the worm season is over or when you're ready to start a new batch

16. andy

andy Monkey+++

worm beds, now this is new. huh? i know worms are good for gardens but how do you raise them, hehehe a worm ranch...

with compost piles i have heard of people building wooden boxes and mixing there refuse and waste in them... is this a good thing or is there a better way?

17. RightHand

Andy, worm beds or "farms" can be very simple plastic container or tub arrangement. If you would like to make some money from the farm, you can get a little more elaborate. Here's a good link to a "farm" setup. http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/envirom/wormfarm.htm

Composting is the same - you can go simple and cheap or elaborate and expensive. I do 2 kinds of composting. I have a 3 bin arrangement a cabinetmaker friend made me as a birthday present one year, It's about 9 ft long, separated into 3 bins, each with slats across the fron which can be removed for turning the compost. I use it because it was a present but my preferred composting method is a pile that I can easily turn. It should get a fair amount of sun since the composting will be enhanced by the elevated temperature on the indise of the pile. It also need some moisture so if it doesn't rain for a while, just wet it down. I also add raw cow and horse manure from the farm up the road. Early and late in the season, I cover the pile with black plastic to enhance the temperature. And NO, a well managed compost pile does not smell bad.

18. andy

andy Monkey+++

THANKS i read the link and if i can get it to work you have showen me a way to start on the get a "home security system" defence fund program with out dipping in to the family funds. but all things in moderation i'll start small. thanks for the tips...

i have a pile started in the corner of the back yard its to the side of the house where no one can see it it's still cool here so if i got a dark tarp to cover the pile would that work?

i started clearing the area for the garden/flowerbed and piled up a lot of the pine needles i didn't realize how tuff it is to rake those little guys up.

thanks for all the help,
    andy

19. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Right Hand

I have heard of people raising worms under rabbit cages. Do you have any info on this. Also I have read you can make some decent money raising worms so if you can shed any light on to that subject I sure would like to know about it.

OGM

20. RightHand

I have a friend, a retired school superintendent, who started his farm business raising worms. He eventually expanded the farms to include all garden products, fruits and veggies and a pumpkin patch but the worms got his business started.

I've never done enough to sell - mine have been for fishing and soil amendment only - but I know worm castings sell for around $6 to $7 a lb. so you would have to have quite a number of worm beds to make any decent money. You can also sell the worms themselves.

I've never heard of the rabbit connection but I did a google and found the following link - Rabbits and Vermicomposting

There is a lot of information on the web about worm farming. Pretty interesting.

1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7