Gas water heater

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kckndrgn, May 22, 2007.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

OK, Monkey's I need some input here. I have a gas water heater that the pilot light is continuously going out. I'm suspecting the the thermocouple, but I just replaced that about a year and a half ago.

I can also get the pilot re-light then stay on long enough start the burner, but at some point later it goes out again :(

Other than replacing the thermocouple, which I'm going to do tonight, is there anything else to look at? I don't know why or how the pilot keeps going out, but 2 days of cold showers in the morning is enough, I want a HOT shower!!!maddd

Thanks in advance

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Drafts? Clogged filter (if it has one)? Obstructed airway to the burner? Pilot safety switch? [dunno]

Take your showers at night --:lol:

3. kckndrgn

ghrit, U funny NO!!

Well, no filter that I can "see" tho this unit is the flame-lock kind.

I just replaced the thermocouple and fired it up. As soon as the water started to heat up I could start hearing water hitting the burner. Not just little drops, but big ones. Now there is a sticker on the heater that says water dripping is normal, but how much is normal?

Thanks

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

thermocouple is amost always it, then gas valve.
    Small amounts of drippage when first lighting is normal, but a whole bunch isnt.
    Did the drip stop?

5. kckndrgn

Yeah, the dripping finally stopped, after about 10-15 min. I could understand some condensation build up and dripping, but this was more like "rain drops".

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Might have been coming off of the tank side walls after sitting with cold water in it and beading up condensation.
    Im sure it will be fine.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7