gear monkeys (car help)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tango3, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

My turn:
    My daughters "mitsu( suns-a)bitchi"eclipse spyder has acquired what I think is a very tiny pinhole leak in the radiator,:
    "verytiny" as in I can see afew wafts of steam rising after the car is thoroughly warm(I thought it may even be the cap leaking: probably replace it for good measure first.. but there is a few drops of coolant collecting on one of the the bottom brackets...)
    Question: Anybody ever used "bars stop leak"( I know my mechanic dad would be spinning in his grave may he rest in peace: Quote Dad: "Any "wonder fix" in a can stuff is a half-ass measure! and nothing but covering up impending doom").Well I added that last part."

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I haven't use it yet. Bought a bottle of it, but got to the repairs before putting it in. A buddy of mine used it on his wifes car. She had a bigger leak then you, but it sealed it up nicely. Now he's saving his pennies to replace the radiator.

Just my .02.

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Thanks I'm hoping I'm not dealing with a headgasket problem( oh there's no question I'm not dealing with a head gasket, in wisconsin in january).Coolant level was down, Im gonna have her watch coolant level with a microscope. the exhaust is a bit steamy ( 20 degrees outside so any condensation will be especially evident. The car heated up to 1/2 then 3/4's on the gauge in the garage idling ,but not actually into the hot range, both electric radiator fans do come on and go off together.

4. SoCal09

SoCal09 Monkey++

you can test your head gasket by taking your radiator cap off while the engine is idleing. if the water is splashing around...headgasket.

Is the car over heating?

I used to use JB Weld for small punctures.

5. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

your cooling system is pressurized and will not cool as well if it can not maintain the pressure never mind the fluid loss. I keep a bottle of Stop leak just as an emergency repair to get me home. Basically its aluminum dust and it clogs the hole...and your water pump and other orifices. Not good, use only as a last ditch or your gonna sell the mitsu.

Your radiator has plastic end caps crimped onto an alum core, leaks very common for this crimp connection. Not repairable.

side note, raw egg or rice can serve the same purpose. Yes it works.

You need to pressure test the system to locate the leak, if its the radiator, replace it period.

6. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

don't see any bubbling in the radiator ( goodsign! :) )
    You are correct on the half plastic radiator.. Thanks Sherm..!

7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

BarsLeak works. "They say" it is for temporary use. Does 4 years in a Ford 307 count as temporary?

9. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Thanks all! seems a cooling system pressure test is the next step.

10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

On a side note: Some radiator repair shops will fix it for less than $50. Hard to find them sometimes, but I lived down the street from one outside Boston. Fixed my little radiator for the old Subaru Justy in 1999 for $20.

Stop leak works. Use sparingly first, and gradually add more until leak stops.

11. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I've used Bars Leak and like products but have never had any success with todays radiators. As mentioned the crimped aluminum/plastic should just be replaced if a sealer won't work.

As far as head gaskets go. If there isn't any sign of oil mixing with water or white smoke coming from the exhaust then you could use an exhaust leak detector.

IIRC, the product name of the fluid exhaust leak detector I used in the past was Universal. It detects exhaust gases in the coolant at the radiator cap. If the fluid changes color, you have exhaust gases in the coolant.

Did the Bars Leak work or did you have to replace the radiator?

12. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

ditto on the coolant tester.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7