Gear Review - Alcohol Fuel Container

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Grand58742, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

Not your MFC or MSR bottle, but something cheap (I should have known better...)

This item here Alcohol Fuel Bottle I found while perusing the Campmor site and buying various things. I saw the price (which wasn't bad at $4.99) and thought those were easier to carry around for my alcohol stove than the MSR bottle I currently have. Quick pour spout or measured squirt, how can I go wrong? Lightweight, flat, reasonably small and packs easy enough. Until I started checking it out.

Got them in this past summer and promptly forgot about them in the bottom of a box until tonight as I was going through some stuff. Figured I would check it outwhile I had the opportunity. I grabbed the first one up and mindlessly squeezed the bottle. The air escaped much to my surprise and without much effort. I thought maybe it was a loose cap. I checked them both. Both as tight as they could be. "Maybe it's a bad bottle" I thought to myself. But both of the bottles I bought did the same thing. Maybe it changes with liquid I think to myself again...and promptly used something a little less flammable than alcohol. Filled them from the faucet and found with the slightest pressure, they leak like a sieve, both of them to varying degrees. Turn them upside down, they leak like a sieve. One is worse than the other, but they both leak.

So the moral of the story is...I WOULDN'T BUY THEM! At least in my opinion. Cheaply made and leaky. Certainly not two things you would not want inside your pack. If anyone sees them and thinks about giving them a whirl, I wouldn't recommend it.

And instead of returning them for my money back or an exchange, I will choose to puncture them and have them reside in my recycle bag until such time as the Germans pick it up. I won't take the chance of them being accidentally restocked and someone else getting them. I take it as a $10 lesson learned.

2. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Nice'lookin bottle, i believe in simple alcohol stoves too, Fuel is readily available can even be homemade, and a spill is alot less of an oily stinky mess than petroleum fuels.

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

*rubber seal washer sold separately*

Yeah. Junk.

4. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I use a curved chrome metal whiskey flash, like you take to the ballgame. It seals, and it reflects light. That and a Pepsi can stove.

5. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Also, any # 2 recyclable bottle will hold fuel. International Universal Recycling Codes, Wikipedia

6. mrghostwalker

mrghostwalker Monkey+++

I use recycled soda bottles (Pepsi, 7-up). The 20 oz size work the best.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7