geek squad recommendation

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Tango3, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Guys: My well worn laptop is getting replaced with what I consider a reasonably "stout"desktop before it quits at the worst possible time..I'm looking at a boxed Hp set, Amd quadcore; 7gb/640gb hd;vista home premium 64 bit; 2207h lcd.
    I do photo"work";web site building/maintenance; home business excel/ word, email and I'd like to get into video.. I keep and use my gear for 5-10 years.I'm looking at $900 for the whole thing with software.I could put components together for less but add in software and hassles and I'd rather buy turnkey..

Is the Amd quadcore a good idea?
    64 bit premium vista a good idea.?I realize I won't be taxing all 4 processors. I want headroom for future innovations. seesaw

2. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

T, you have more computer than you will need with a Quad Core processor, thing is, most software that you have named above is mostly single threaded applications(which means they will only use one processor core). For your video app. if it is multithreaded, then you will see a remarkable speed increase for video encoding.

Currently, my laptop is a 3yr. old single core AMD and my desktop is a Dual Core AMD, which is more than I need, the main reason for my dualcore desktop is that I have a BlueRay drive installed, and watching 1080p BR movies require alot of cpu horsepower.

As for Windows Vista 64, you will need to make sure that any software that you buy will work with a 64bit OS, that would also include any programs that you currently have that you would like to install on your new system. Hope this helps.

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Too late! I'm posting from way more computer than I really need . Meet "mother"..(hp 6763 7g/640 AMD phenom quad; Y'all look pretty on a 22" lcd. :)

4. B540glenn

B540glenn Should Be Working Founding Member

Let us know how your software (particularly the photo software) likes the 64-bit system. I recently bought a new machine and stuck with the 32 bit system because the software I wanted to run wasn't certified for 64-bit.

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I'm still getting used to vista from xp, but photoshop elements 6 seems to work fine.we are still in the courting stage but atleast i trust the hardware for more than 72hrs at a time... is it blazing ? not really, but the extra ram and hd space is nice, lcd is evening out my tan...

6. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

New canon raw file codec download for vista gallery, hasto berun in 32 bit...<table class="BVReviewDisplay" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="BVReviewDisplaySeparator">
    </td> <td class="BVReviewDisplayRight" align="left" valign="top"> <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td> Where is x64 support? </td> <td align="right"> Date: February 17, 2009 </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Cons: no x64 support

I used this product with my 5D and 20D on my old desktop. I bought a new desktop and laptop last year, both run Vista x64 to access the 4Gb+ RAM on these machines. Seems I am not alone in wondering why years after the introduction of x64 XP and x64 Vista Cannon has yet to release the x64 version of this Codec - how hard can it be to compile this code with the x64 Vista libraries? 11 of 12 people found this review helpful.
    <!--embedded--> Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

I've gotten to realize all I need are smaller jpegs so i haven't used raw for awhile,

there's a work around but that's the last thing I need right now.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Legacy compatibility is the main reason I'm holding off on an upgrade of any flavor. We can hope that W7 solves the problems. (Waiting for SP 2 at least has worked for me stepwise going up to XP from W3.1. I'm going to skip Vista entirely.)

8. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

my laptop is giving me the" backup your hd immediately!" hd failure predicted" message ....[beat][beat]:shock::eek:[banghead]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7