Gelatin - most versatile protein

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Ganado, Aug 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Its much more concentrated, so when mixing, if you dont use less than you would with the “jello” version...(a lot less). you get something like this....
    904711EA-E12B-423D-8243-9E0A647F50CF.

oldman11 and Ganado like this.
  2. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Yep.....THAT right there is reason enough to eat it.

oldman11, SB21, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I bought some gelatin a while back , never used it . I'll be looking for some more of your recipes , because of the benefits , I could use some hep in the joint areas , knees are in bad shape , can't hurt to try it . List up your favorite recipes , or your favorite website for recipes Thanks.

oldman11 likes this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Dessert
    Panna Cotta with Mixed Berries
    Snacks
    Sour Gummy Stars
    For this recipe you will need: Candy molds, optional (I use these), pot, whisk or spoon, measuring cup, measuring spoons
    Author Mommypotamus
    Ingredients
    • 3 tablespoons grassfed gelatin where to buy grassfed gelatin
    • 1/3 cup lemon/lime or orange juice
    • 3 tablespoons raw honey where to buy raw honey
    • Additional flavoring - I like to use 1/2 teaspoon citrus zest 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract OR 5 drops food grade lemon/orange essential oil. Makes the flavor much better/stronger.
    • Optional - Non-toxic vegetable-based food coloring ( I use this kind)
    Instructions
    • Whisk lemon/lime juice, honey and gelatin in a sauce pan until there are no lumps.
    • Heat over low heat until it's nice and melty, stirring constantly.
    • Add food coloring and/or extract if desired - you're almost done now!
    • Grab an ice cube tray or silicone mold. You can use a basic pan, too, and then just cut into squares or use a cookie cutter after it's set.
    • Pour in the mixture, then pop in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to firm up. Once they're out of the freezer they will stay firm at room temperature.
    • Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks
    Home Made Bouillon
    Homemade bouillon or portable soup is a simple, traditional way to keep stock always on hand without having to make it fresh every time. While the bouillon can be made without purchased gelatin, gelatin ensures that the bouillon comes together easily and firms up properly for long-term storage. Do not use vegetable scraps to flavor your stock as they may decrease the length of time you can store the bouillon and they will take much-needed space in your stock pot for gelatin-producing bones. You can purchase good quality bovine gelatin online (see sources).
    Ingredients
    • 10 pounds meaty bones, (chicken, beef, lamb, pork, etc.)
    • 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 2 teaspoons unrefined sea salt
    • 2 tablespoons gelatin, (optional)
    1. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
    2. Place the bones in a large baking dish, and roast them for 45 minutes.
    3. Place the roasted bones, peppercorns and bay leaves in a large heavy-bottomed stock pot. Cover with filtered water and bring to a boil over moderately high heat, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, for eight to ten hours.
    4. Strain the stock into a large mixing bowl through a fine-mesh sieve. Refrigerate for at least eight and up to twenty-four hours. You should have about one gallon of stock.
    5. The stock should gel in the refrigerator, but it's not necessary. The fat will rise to the top of the stock. Pick it off and reserve it for another use such as frying vegetables or braising meat.
    6. Transfer the stock to a shallow, wide-mouthed pot, stir in salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Continue simmering until the stock is reduced to 1 cup, about forty-five minutes depending on the surface area of your pot. Please note that the amount of time it takes to reduce 1 gallon of stock to 1 cup will depend on the size of your pan. A very wide and shallow pan will allow the stock to reduce in about 45 minutes, a traditional stock pot will take several hours.
    7. Whisk gelatin into the hot stock and pour into a small container about 4 inches by 4 inches. Refrigerate for at least eight hours, cut into cubes about 1-inch by 1-inch. You can further dry out the cubes by setting them gently on a cotton cloth or napkin in the refrigerator or other cold place in your kitchen for a further eight to twenty-four hours.
    8. Each cube of bouillon will produce one cup of stock. Simply drop the homemade bouillon cube into one cup hot water, stir to dissolve and serve. The bouillon cubes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for at least six months.

upload_2019-4-8_9-6-24.

SB21 and Brokor like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Tequila Lime Gummies
    Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup water
    • 1/2 cup lime juice
    • 1/2 cup Tequila
    • 4 Tbsp grass-fed gelatin powder
    • 2 Tbsp raw honey —
    • 20 drops lime essential oil*
    • 1/2 cup of water until bubbling
    • In a glass jar combine gelatin and heated water, stir briskly to dissolve gelatin
    • In a medium bowl combine all of the ingredients and whisk until well combined
    • Pour into mold
      • Put molds into refrigerator until set, at least one hour
      • We store them in a jar in the fridge. They last about one week
      • Enjoy in moderation and don’t drive or operate heavy machinery after consuming these. Mmmkay?

SB21 likes this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Homemade Fruit Snacks
    4 c. strawberries
    1/2 c. lemon juice
    8 TBS. honey
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    6 TBS. gelatin
    Directions:
    1. In a saucepan, heat strawberries and moosh (yes, I said moosh) while cooking.
    2. Once all mooshed, add lemon juice, honey, salt & vanilla.
    3. Slowly,(and I mean slowly) add the gelatin so it doesn’t clump. Cook an additional 2 minutes then pour into a glass pan and set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
    4. Use a pizza cutter,

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Recipe: Homemade Magnesium Gummies
    Makes 3/4 cup’s worth of gummies—for me this was 35 gummies total in this silicone mold.

Note: You can adjust the recipe to have more or less magnesium powder if you’d like. See the information below after the instructions regarding magnesium dosage.

Ingredients
    • 3/4 cup juice (I used an organic lemonade, which was really tasty and worked perfectly with the flavor of magnesium I used!)
    • 3 T grass-fed kosher gelatin powder (you could just as easily use the porcine variety, if you’d like)
    • 5 T magnesium citrate powder (I used this kind, with that specific flavor. Very tasty!)
    • 1 T sweetener—organic cane sugar, honey, sucanat, whatever you’d like. (The magnesium powder does have stevia in it, but I recommend adding real sweetener)
    • Pinch of sea salt (add in as much as you can stand, really. The more the better. But everyone’s tastes are different due to differences in hormonal balance.)
    Directions
    Alright, this is just a teensy bit tricky, so please pay attention!

In a medium-large mixing bowl, pour cold (refrigerated) juice, and whisk in the magnesium powder slowly. It will foam up quite a bit—so what I did was whisk in a tablespoon, then gave it a few minutes for the foam to die down. Whisk in another tablespoon, gave it another few minutes, etc., until it was all in there, with minimal foam.

In a small saucepan, pour in the juice/magnesium mixture. Now sprinkle the gelatin powder over the juice mixture in your saucepan, but leave it off the burner. We don’t need any heat yet. Allow it to sit for a couple minutes in order for the gelatin to “bloom”—this is a critical process of the gelatin powder absorbing the liquid. Without proper blooming, you will have a very icky, gritty texture to your gummies, and you will not be able to fully dissolve the gelatin once you heat your mixture. Very important to bloom! After a few minutes, you’ll see the mixture start to gel and form a weird, wrinkly mass. This is good! If there are still any bits of white powder sitting on top of the wrinkles, whisk them in while the mixture is still cold. When there’s no more white powder or visible white clumps, you’re okay to move onto the next step.

Now, you can go ahead and turn on the burner to a low-medium temp. As your mixture heats up, it will begin to liquify. Once it does, add in your sweetener and salt to dissolve. Avoid whisking it too much, or it’ll start to foam up just like it did when you added the magnesium powder. If it does, that’s okay, just let the foam sit for a few minutes and it’ll calm down. Kind of like a glass of beer with a thick foam head. If you’re patient, the foam goes away. And you probably don’t have to rub the oil on your nose and then stick your finger in the foam of your red solo cup like you did in college… I don’t think it works that way.

Alright. Now, get yourself a glass liquid measuring cup with a spout, and pour the liquid gummy mixture into the measuring cup. Scrape the sides of the pan with your spatula to get it all in there. Is it 3/4 of a cup of liquid still? If it is, then it’ll fit exactly into the silicone mold I used, if you want to use that, too. And if it isn’t, that’s probably because some of the liquid evaporated, so you can just add in a little more juice if you’d like.

Set the silicone mold onto a large plate or a cutting board—any kind of hard and portable surface so you can get it into your fridge without spilling, since the silicone is soft. Pour the mixture very slowly and carefully into the silicone mold. If you’re not using a mold, you can pour it into a small baking dish instead, and then you’ll be able to cut out squares after it’s set.

Refrigerate your molds at least a half-hour, or until fully set. Then, carefully peel/wriggle/pop them out of the molds, or slice into squares if poured into a baking pan.

SB21 likes this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i had some left over sugar free condensed milk from making cathedral hello mold. So I added it to some strong coffee and 2 tablespoons of gelatin.... boom coffee desert. Yum!

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gummy recipe.... easy sugar free
    2 packs unsweetened koolaid
    1 cup sugar, I used erthritol for the sugar free lo carb version https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7HAB46/?tag=survivalmonke-20
    2/3 cup hot water
    6 T. unflavored gelatin

mix sugar and Kool aid dry together,
    dump in 2/3 cup hot water, stir till all of it is dissolved
    add gelatin and keep staring.
    pore into molds or a baking dish,
    refrigerate for an hour
    eat and enjoy

this is an easy low carb high protein snack you can carry in your bag

oldawg and SB21 like this.
  10. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I probably missed the answer to this but anyway. To get an appreciable benefit from gelatin what daily amount would be needed. A cup,bowl, or a few tablespoons?

SB21 likes this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

oldawg likes this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

THis was quick and easy
    1/2 cup boiling water
    1 package sugar free raspberry jello

mix till jello is disolved
    add
    2 Table spoons gelatain
    stir til gelatin is disolved

1/2 cream or I use coconut cream

makes raspberry cream gummies/jellies
    I put them in some silcone hex molds I have
    but you can put in the bottom of any pan or flat bottom bowl and cut them up after

20190509_070424.

i made pinacolada gummies as well with
    3 tablespoons gelatain
    6 Tablespoons erythitol
    1/2 c hot water
    1/2 c coconut cream
    tsp rum extract
    tsp pineapple extract

1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics