Gene Pitney Dies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Apr 5, 2006.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Most of you are probably too young to have appreciated Gene Pitney but he was an important influence to my generations youth. He was a local hero around here since he lived the next town over and gave lots of free concerts at 4H TAC (Tolland County Agriculture Center). Laugh if you will but we had lots of square dances there and sock hops.

LONDON, England -- Singer Gene Pitney has died in the middle of his UK tour, his agent said.

The 65-year-old American star was found dead just after 10 a.m. Wednesday (0500 ET) at the Hilton Hotel in Cardiff, Wales.

Jene Levy told Reuters Pitney had died on Wednesday morning in the Welsh capital.

There was no immediate word on the cause of death. Friends said he was in apparent good health and his death came as a shock.

South Wales police said they had been called to a hotel at 9.50 a.m. on Wednesday morning and that the death was not being treated as suspicious.

His 40-year career included a number of big hits, including "It Hurts to Be in Love," "Every Breath I Take," "Town Without Pity," "Only Love Can Break a Heart," the operatic "I'm Gonna Be Strong" and "Twenty-Four Hours From Tulsa."

His last U.S. hit was "She's a Heartbreaker" in 1968.

Pitney was found in his bed by his tour manager, Mark Hawes of In Touch Music told the BBC.

"He did a good show last night at St. David's Hall and it was wonderful," he said.

"I've seen him quite a few times on this tour and he was fit and well. He said it was the best tour he had done for quite a few years."

Pitney rose to fame in the 1960s and was introduced to a new generation of fans in 1989 when he duetted with Marc Almond on "Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart," the UK's Press Association reported.

The single gave Pitney his first UK number one -- 22 years after its first release, PA added.

He had 11 top 10 hits in the UK including "That Girl Belongs To Yesterday" and "Looking Thru The Eyes of Love."

His songs have been recorded by some of the world's biggest stars -- "Hello Mary Lou" was released by Ricky Nelson, "Today's Teardrops" by Roy Orbison, and "Rubber Ball" by U.S. singer Bobby Vee and British artist Marty Wilde. He also wrote the No. 1 Crystals hit "He's a Rebel"

He worked with the Rolling Stones and was credited with helping them find fame in the U.S., according to PA.

In 2002 he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

A spokeswoman for Cardiff coroner Mary Hassell told PA she had been officially informed of the star's death. The spokeswoman said a post mortem examination will take place to establish whether an inquest will be necessary.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[angel] RIP

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7