General First Aid items

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by melbo, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

That’s my wife, she has lots of training in general practice Med, and they have to cross learn/train as not to kill you while working on you.
    + Once a dentist she can prescribe meds same as a doctor. Can you say med bag.......

2. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

Phishi

Good post. Without a doubt ER docs are the best in the field in my opinion. For me the bigest reason is because they are used to working under the greatest amount of "oh shit" stress. Not saying that I'd discard any Dr. if they came moseying down the road but alot of your family pract. or specialized ones just don't play with that much of unknown stress.
    Idealy a perfect combo would be your ER Dr. a trauma nurse and a emt/ para. But very few of us live in a perfect world so... If you can search out and get a Dr. for your group that also allows you to expand your medical area.
    The dentist is a true asset because lets face it there's always going to be teeth issues no matter how often you brush, floss and clean. Not to mention that as the bartering thing kicks in that could bring a source of income to your group. As a side note I know I'm guilty of keeping my toothbrush longer than I should. Just check and ask yourself if you have enuf toothbrushes and toothpaste in your hide away. An ounce of prevention is well worth the pound of cure.
    Quig: Whats the wife say about the powdered colgate tooth paste??

Take care Be safe Poacher.

3. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Couple of thoughts from reading the above posts:

There is a godawful amount of knowledge that is needed to become a doctor. I think many would be surprised at how often a doctor is correct in their diagnosis before a single lab comes back confirming what is going on. Take the lab away and I bet that a good doc would still be able to function.

Side note: It would not be that hard to set up a basic lab with a microscope and a few other tools. Just need a lab tech to be in bussiness.

Dentists and midwives should be placed at a high level of value for all of the same reasons listed above.

Finally, long term care is a bit of an art form. Much more so than good food & rest. Being able to look after the patient, turning them to keep down bed sores, clean linens, helping them to the restroom, bathing them, are all skills that anyone can be taught, but that few can do well day in and day out.

If the individual is going to die, it can take a good long time for it too happen. One needs to care for the patient while this is happening, so that their suffering is at a minimum. If they are going to live, you want to give them the best chance to have as normal a life as possible. That means giving them the best care available. This is not any easy thing.

phishi

4. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

This Basic First Aid Kit is available at Dollar Stores and is...

a basic must-have item for a backpack. A bottle of Aspirin for fever reduction, too. Ric

[​IMG]

5. Brook

Brook Monkey+++

I appreciate the information on the medical bag as I am sure others do too.

One of the things I want to add (there are many but first things first) is, if you don't know it exists then you don't know where to begin.

If someone is new to survival and hadn't thought about medical care.. thinking specificially now about the bird flu, they may need a starting point. If you post you need a BP cuff, thermometer, and a form to take vitals.. this causes a person to think and perhaps even get training...

I can't stress training enough! contact your local Red Cross!

So to mention items I use may spark an interest in others to do research of their own or get training. I would rather have someone with little to no knowldege at my side then no one at all! If I have a well stocked medical bag then as this person is looking through it.. they will find a manual..

It is a manual I have put together.. stuff I know, learned or copied off the net. Perhaps that will assist them in saving my life should the need arise.

I also keep several bottles of Vodka around.. that is if I can keep my husband out of it! he gets in the pantry next to the garage and mixes himself a bloody mary while cleaning his tools or tinkering! Vodka has several uses, one is medically... after all it makes a great anaesthetic besides sterilizing a wound... oh and you can burn it for light! [LMAO]
    and you can drink it! ;)

If a person is incapicated and can't take oral meds, you are not qualified to do an IV, think enema. An enema can even be used to rehydrate a person. I know now something we want to think about... so perhaps this has sparked an interest in learning more.

I raise livestock so I have syringes and antibiotics that I can use. I understand the difference between sub-q and IM when I need to do an injection on one of my animals. I have a basic understanding of which antibiotics to use on what.

I also have herbs that I use. but all of this needs more then a backpack, it needs a medical cabinet.. locked to keep kids out of.

I am not a nurse, doctor, medical care provider, nor do I play one on TV. I can only offer what I have or what I do, it may not be right for you but it works for me.

brook

6. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Enema? I continually gain new perspective to think outside the box on the monkey.!![shiz]got a new use for the hose from mycamelbak on those long dusty roadmarches
    "TANGO: JES WHUTINDAHELLDO YOU THINK YER DOIN??" "

"STAYIN' HYDRATED GUNNY"

"WELLTURN IT OFF! YER MAKIN PUDDLES FOR THE GUY MARCHIN BEHIND YA"

7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

My wife is a working RN( "charge nurse" ,actually runs a floor ( med surgical patients)if we get specific questions I can pass them on to her..

8. Brook

Brook Monkey+++

Tango have I mentioned yet you are not right! [fnny][LMAO] well go ahead and ask Mrs. T she will tell ya... DO NOT TO USE THE CAMEL PACK HOSE! <shakes head="">LOL @ Tango.. you are not normal!

If my husband or children weren't able to take medicines or water orally, I would give him/them an enema.. I would also make Suppositories with meds in them and administer them that way. I figure when [​IMG] and there is no medical help available and I can't get to a hospital.. 40 miles away... I have no choice but to do what I have to do.. right or wrong, at least I tried!

My husband doesn't know any of this.... and we just won't tell him now will we!</shakes>

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That'll cost ya --[LMAO]

The lower intestine does a number of good things beyond the obvious. That business of staying hydrated is obvious from the standpoint of what goes out has to be replaced. But once it's in, it has other duties. All that stuff you cram down your craw has to be diluted and carried into your nail beds and hair follicles to be of any value. Water does that for you. Then, once the water train waste collection system gets going (coming back from the beds and follicles) somehow the water has to get taken out before the waste is dumped. That is where the lower intestine gets involved, it is a rather neat dewatering device. So the water goes back into the system, pretty well cleaned up. We hope there is little if any waste going back into the system, but if there are solubles in there, they get carried back. That is where suppositories get into the act, they have to be soluble to be effective. An enema will add water to the recycle, thus it is a way to go if needed. My ducknoise tells me the average recycle is about 11 liters a day for adults. An enema will not be as effective as IV or oral fluids in terms of speed because it is not as direct, but it would be effective if there is time enough and other losses are stopped.

Grossly oversimplified of course, but--- Now you know too much?[flag]

T3, Brook is right. You are not normal. Be proud of it, not too many of us are, or we wouldn't be here.[dunno]

10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Momma awees sayd "I wuz speshul...
    had mah name on My hehmit
    Even had myown speshull bus.."
    deed-dee-deee....[siren][slow][slow]

11. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I knew about the 'other' way of takeing med also. Tina used to work in the nurseing homes and if the residents couldnt/wouldnt take their pills oraly they were often administered from the other end and (most of them) would absorb and work the same that way.

12. Brook

Brook Monkey+++

13. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

let me squeeze one more chuckle out of this walking enema thing..
    "Damn we almost there yet??"

"Nah man",

" man I'm dry... outta water..."

"POP Here, You want to hit this?"

"uhhhhhh, no guy thanks...

I'll just wait for the waterbuffalo..."

Sorry, I know that didn't add anything substantial to the thread.
    ..been up all night in a 30 degree garage unsucessfully putting a stereo in my kids car...I'm warmer but more than alittle bit silly right now.

14. Brook

Brook Monkey+++

T3, had you heated that water before you gave urself that enema.. you would have been warm from the inside out!

what was that about squeezing?

15. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Personal hypothermia rescue?? could exchange my camelbak for a black "solar shower bag? Fo'schizzle ma nizzle!!!

16. Paradoc

Paradoc Retired Combat Medic

I am new here but I am veteran combat medic, and former instructor of fa/cpr/aed, EMT-B, ACLS, PALS and other fun courses. Having practiced my skills in almost every bad situation imaginable courtesy of Uncle Scrooge.

As far as dispensing medical advice........I will post relevant material that would still be covered under the Good Samaritan laws, for advanced techniques I can point you in the direction of the information, for educational purposes only (of course[GR])

17. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

They have trans dermal patches now thank goodness. Oil of oregano, colloidal silver, grape seed extract, zinc, peroxide, along with elder berry extract would probably be better than Tamiflu, which the bird flu has already built a resistance to. I'm also stocking up on a product called " Power of Three" which is a nano sized liquid vitamin supplement. We have to keep our immune systems top notch. Saline solution is good for cleansing wounds. Asprin is good for everything from hearts to headaches. Tango3's camel back would be good for an emergency coffee colonic on ghrit. [winkthumb]

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[fnny]Nah, if I'm conscious, orally is good. If not conscious, mainline it with IV. Try the colonic, and you'll be best advised to stand out of the line of fire, 'cause I think it won't stay in very awful long. Might refill the bag that way--[boozingbuddies]

19. ac1

ac1 Monkey++

An excellent emergency book for the great out of doors is "Medicine for Mountaineers", ed. by James A. Wilkerson, MD, pub. by The Mountaineers, 1011 SW Klickitat Way, Seattle, WA 98134. Available from many sources, new and used from $12.00 at Amazon (not an ad). I used it to teach remote outdoor first aid, and the advice is good. User experience may vary -- ;)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7