Generator life cycles

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Harbin, Aug 1, 2013.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Even at that it was one heck of a deal for the auction winner.....

2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Yes , Maybe ,, I was close , dropped out at a G . after that it was too large of a risk of the extras to get it on the west coast.
    Landed twice the amount. Friends were more than happy to help , but still.

3. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Once again, proof that I have the right place for information...

4. Snoozebum

Snoozebum Monkey

image-1. image-3. Just found this site, and really liking it so far.

This thread in particular was a bullseye.

I'm currently living off grid in Alaska and am looking to move off the road system as well. A co worker of mine has a 12 kw Lister diesel genset with 30k hours he's willing to let go for 2 grand. It's an Alascom mountaintop deal similar to the one discussed here.

Was just wondering if you guys maybe could give me any insight into it if I posted a few images.

Dang it, gotta post more and wait a month to link images

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  5. BTPost

Welcome to the Monkey Tree... From another Monkey who lives in the Alaskan Bush... There might be an issue in posting pictures at the moment, as that was reported last night, and or Admins haven't yet addressed the issue. It is the custom on the Monkey, to not allow ForSale Post, until you have posted a minimum of 5 Posts, as a deterrent to Spam DriveBy Posting. We do have a Forum for such Postings, as well. .....

6. Snoozebum

Snoozebum Monkey

I'm not trying to sell, I'm looking for advice whether to buy. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

@BTPost, he is the possible buyer, not a seller. And you would likely be the best one to answer his questions, as well.;)

8. BTPost

My misread... Sorry.... Those Listers are worth their weight in GOLD... $2KUS is a very reasonable price for one, especially if you get ALL the Maintenance Records with it, and it has a recent ReBuild, by the Alascom Techs. ( within the last 20k Operational Hours). Those guys know those Plants better than the Factory Engineers who designed them.... Does the one your looking at have the 55USG Extended Run LubeOil Sump, and is it Water Cooled? If so, grab it Quick, before some one else, grabs it. These make WONDERFUL CoGeneration Systems, where you use the Radiator, and exhaust Heat, to heat the buildings on your Place.... ..... YMMV....

9. Snoozebum

Snoozebum Monkey

It looks to be air cooled, has a thirty gallon oil reserve and three cylinders, 1800 rpms from what I can read.
    Some strange tinny looking air grabber at the top.

10. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I just picked up a EU1000i & EU2000I for 50 bucks each , both looked new & had service tags on them from the honda dealer stating they needed rebuild repair from using OIL !!
    Perfect Mosquito killers :)

They have a known fact failure of pumping oil /burning blue from glazed rings , After a few chem soaks & a quick lap in after cleaning the spark arrester , they run clean !!
    Not bad for 50 bucks , but very small units

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, the wrong pic was cliked. Me bad -- Deleted.

12. BTPost

I was wondering if you were going to do that....

13. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

When we purchased our 8K Propane Generac Guardian we were concerned about how many hours it would run. It has an oil filter and is built for long term. I thought about just buying three cheap Chinese propane 6000 watt models and using them one at a time until they all broke. However both my wife and I agreed that one good one would serve us better. I purchased replacement parts, digital touch pad,spark plugs, oil filters, 4 cases of oil, spare flex line and generator head. Im going to convert my Honda 3000 watt to run on propane . My pet project this year though is to build a wood gas powered 24 volt dc generator to recharge my 24 volt battery bank. I have 4 used 6 hp Briggs and Stratton engines taken from broken power washers. These engines all run great. My plan is to build a gasifier that will make the fuel for these engines to run. Im welding up a frame to set the engine and generator head into. Most likely be belt drive . Im going to start just using a big ford Alternator and see what it does. If I can make 12 volts I should be able to make 24. KF

kellory likes this.
  14. BTPost

If it was "Me" Kingfish, I would head out to the nearest Trunk Junkyard, and find a BIG 24Vdc Alternator, with an External voltage regulator, from a 18 Wheeler Tractor, and use that..... Then use a Pulley/Belt 2:1 Setup to spin it at about 4K Rpm, with the Engine turning about 2K Rpm. Engine will be in the Low End of it's Power Curve, and the Alternator would be at it's most efficient Alternator Rpm. You can find 240 Amp Alternators out there, for a good value, and @24Vdc that makes a maximum of 5.7 Kw..... With a 6Hp engine, you will run out of power before the alternator, gets hot enough, to let the Magic Smoke out.

3M-TA3 and kellory like this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yep. (24 volt is WAY common.) And, it is ALWAYS good to ensure the engine cannot drive the driven gear over its rated capacity. Note that your engine will be de-rated on wood gas, how much of a de-rate, well, I don't know, but you can probably estimate it unreliably knowing the BTU content of the original fuel vs. wood gas.

BTPost likes this.
  16. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I have an old ford alternator off a tilt cab truck. I looked on ebay and found up to 200 amp 24 volt but were very expensive.

My 8 k Generac is 14 hp. 410 cc. My Honda is 196 cc so about 6 hp. Im thinking I should be able to charge my batteries with a wood gas powered 6 hp running a 24 volt alternator. The purpose is for battery bank charging, not running household items.

17. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Another Idea is to get a 4 cylinder car engine to run on wood gas. Low rpm and water cooled. The problem is starting those bigger engines. Hard to pull start know what I mean?

18. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Do it like the old model It's, with a starter crank. A wind up one for a stationary installation would be easier on you.

19. kingdean97

kingdean97 Neophyte Monkey

Has anyone heard of a Denyo Generator? How are they against Kohler, Perkins, Cummins, CAT, and the like?

Commercial application for standby power!

20. BTPost

They are a Japanese Company that builds Gensets as a Second product after Engine driven Welders... They have been around since 1948... Mostly ell in the Asian Market from factories in Japan, and Vietnam... Not well known in the USA Market, or the West..

1. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Ganado
  4. martha_mill
  5. DKR
  6. techsar
  7. SurvivalJester
  8. Hillbilly549
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Benjamin A. Wood
  11. Papa_asf130
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
  14. Asia-Off-Grid