Generator life cycles

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Harbin, Aug 1, 2013.

1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

I have found over the years that a lot of stuff made in Japan is...

at least when first brought to the US market... well made and dependable... YMMV

2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Yes , But Im seeing a point in time right now that one should think of replacement parts are more important till the world gets over this 2008 -2020 era . Things are changing

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  3. kingdean97

kingdean97 Neophyte Monkey

Cruisin, can you explain further? What will change in standby power? Renewables?

On the sidenote, what would you guys prefer as a standby generator (dealer) for a factory application?

Dealer A (Japan)

[Can supply my emergency power requirement with one piece]
    Lower Priced Diesel Genarator sets (20% cheaper than Dealer B)
    Required 12,000 hrs overhaul
    No electronics inside the engine (all mechical)
    Service is okay

Dealer B (Japan)

[Needs 2 pieces to complete the order]
    Premium Silent Generator sets (Most expensive of the bunch)
    Required 30,000 hrs overhaul
    Has electronics on board (ECU etc.)
    Service is okay

Dealer C (China)

[Requires one piece to supply my power needs]
    Cheap Generator sets (Half Price of Dealer B)
    Required 5,000 hrs overhaul
    Has electronics on board (ECU etc.)
    Below Average Service

What do you think I should choose? What other things may I have not looked on?

Also, what kind of market do these individual dealers cater to? I've heard of the saying: "product and pricing aint wrong, its your target market." +sales pitch

Would like to have the input of sages here! :)

One more, what if for condominiums as well?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2018
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I would go for LONG TERM investment, and get (B), as I did for my outfit, which I run Daily, during the Winter... I generate ALL mt own Power...

5. Cruisin Sloth

I don't get the one or two piece on #B

I'd do Honda Inverter style in Diesel .
    I know they ARE a stand alone company , they have parts still for my 1974 bike and such .
    My Asian / china story's end up smoke & junk .

Screaming 3600 rpm industrial Honda are noisy and fuel hogs .
    I have 1000 honda inverter , 3000 Kipor [​IMG]
    Then onto Diesel 7000 Kubota OWEN , 6500 honda 3600RPM screamer
    [​IMG]
    Then the large APU propane 20 Kva 3600rpm to do the complete shops & hangers .
    Runs maybe 20 hrs a year when we have WORK that must be done & full crew here after a storm .

Sloth

Buy once quality & maintain , last a lifetime .

6. kingdean97

To clarify, I meant that the output ceiling of the generators at dealer B is 1.1 MW

So if my commercial requirement needed 2 MW, I would have to buy 2 pieces and it would be sure as expensive.

7. BTPost

353-398. BTP1.

Not even considering the Switch Gear required to operate a 2Mw Powerhouse.... We have a 4Mw Powerhouse here that powers the Cannery/Cold Storage during the Summers... I have twin 20Kw GenSets in my Winter PowerHouse... Expensive is right for the former, and not so much for the later....

These are old Pictures... The Three farthest Cats were 398s... The farthest one is still there, but the next two were replaced with C Series Cats that are 1 Mw ea. Then the little one is a Cat 353, which we use Pre & Post Season, and you can just see the Corner of our Cat 3516 1.2 Mw in the left side of the Picture... and we have a Package Unit in a Conex that is a Cat 3512 800 Kw at the other end of Camp for Freezer Van power...

Gator 45/70 and franks71vw like this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Actually, if you need 2MW in a commercial setting, you want three, not two, for redundancy and maintenance intervals.

Cruisin Sloth and BTPost like this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

in a commercial setting ?? This is for our back yard help .
    We would need real INFO to help.
    I did consulting & time for BC Hydro turbine units . I was thinking small household power.
    Im out , This I get Paid for.

Sloth

ghrit likes this.
  10. ghrit

Can't say I disagree. A 2meg machine is way overkill, even for one damn big household. Fat Al probably can't full load one that size.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  11. BTPost

Maybe not, but a 300Hp Screw Compressor can put a big dent in one...

12. kingdean97

Thank you for your insight guys!

Beautiful CATs! What is the overhaul time interval for those beasts?

I was told that each dealer makes a generator fit for a market. I am just confused on the reason why people buy low quality China's (Cummins China, Himoinsa, AKSA Power) or maybe okay quality Japanese (MGS Mitsubishi).

13. BTPost

The CAT Schedule for those that are 1200 Rpm is, 25K Hours for Top Ends, and 50K Hours for In-Frames.... It is less for the 1800 Rpm C Series, but I do NOT know what that is.... On my 1800 Rpm 20Kw Northern Lights it is, 20K Hours for Top Ends, and 40K Hours for In-Frames.... The previous two Northern Lights Gensets I had, Each had 66K Hours on them and died within 100 Hours of each other, with a spun Center Main Bearing, and were NOT Rebuildable as they were so Old, the Parts were no longer available for Rebuilding....

franks71vw likes this.
  14. I've got a low hours (under 1k) MEP-802A on a high mobility hmmwv trailer as my personal generator, and I figure it kept up with... it should see clear to 10k hours. I will never put that much runtime on it, but you never know. Even has a rare arctic heater kit (diesel fired, ties into the cooling system to preheat everything). Just about $2k for it... not bad at all.

934204_6465_159_0001.

15. ghrit

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  16. Cruisin Sloth

This depends on the type of oil system / cleaning & temps .
    Full flow bi oil centrifuge external sump with filters on long runs the hours were the best . .
    These were Cat 398's and down to all cast engines , two tones were way less.

Sloth

17. Yes, I am well versed in the manuals. Thanks for the link though. I refurbish MEPs on the side... good thing I have a very understanding wife :).

Yard Dart and ghrit like this.
  18. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

ON THE MONEY! If you ever wanted a large production genset the 379,398 399 were the best. You cant kill them... We used to be forced to do in frames at 40K because of the insurance companies to keep ships in class.

Gator 45/70 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  19. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

Looking for something like this possibly 15-20kw

20. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

Do you need any parts for them... Let me know...

1. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Ganado
  4. martha_mill
  5. DKR
  6. techsar
  7. SurvivalJester
  8. Hillbilly549
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Benjamin A. Wood
  11. Papa_asf130
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
  14. Asia-Off-Grid