Generator life cycles

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Harbin, Aug 1, 2013.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We got TWO complete CAT 398s we pulled out to make room for the TWO C Series
    Gensets, sitting out in the BoneYard covered in with Tarps & ShrinkWrapped....

2. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

I think more then ever everyone just wants to connect a computer to an engine and have it tell you whats wrong and go... sad part is most of those engines aren't as dependable or long lasting.

Cruisin Sloth and ghrit like this.
  3. Well the big brother to this, MEP-803A, is rated 10kw, but will do up to 15kw on demand. You go bigger than that with military gear (at least with the modern liquid cooled models), and they are all 3 phase only. The earlier air cooled variations are also three phase only, but folks have found a way to rewire the genset to achieve single phase. FYI

4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Since inverters are more stable AC power, than a strictly AC generator , why not convert the 3 phase to DC with a full wave bridge ,then charge batteries, then to inverters for use ? It would be the same as an alternator from the automotive standpoint.
    Further more the engine would not have to run full steam to maintain 60 cycle, providing a more relaxed pace and living longer.
    Easier on fuel as well .

duane likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You have just described the Honda Inverter/ Generator line of Products....

duane likes this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

That was my point.

duane likes this.
  7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Looking @ a 20 KVA kubota tomorrow , I know if i get voltage , and it looks clean I should be able to fix/ maintain .
    Got a 48Vdc bike 2day for 5 plucks , need keys and repair plus, BUT LEARN 4ME !

Sloth

8. duane

duane Monkey+++

arleigh and BTPost, always liked the idea of wind and solar with genset backup and all on battery bank used as huge capacitor to store what ever it was supplied with.Can convert almost any phase or freq to dc and with modern inverters end up with clean stable power. Wind in particular probably would be best at a higher voltage to minimize line losses and frequency changes with wind speed variations. Much of what can be done relatively inexpensively today would of cost a fortune 20 years ago. Now EMP is another story and I haven't figured it out yet.

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

For an EMP you have really big battery bank and build an antenna to receive all that energy and when the EMP hits,"" boom"" your batteries are all full .
    LOL

1. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Ganado
  4. martha_mill
  5. DKR
  6. techsar
  7. SurvivalJester
  8. Hillbilly549
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Benjamin A. Wood
  11. Papa_asf130
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
  14. Asia-Off-Grid