Generator Mufflers

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by STANGF150, Dec 2, 2020.

1. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Slowly this week while I'm off work I've been building a modular gen shed. So I can take it apart, store it, and when need it take it out & pop it together around the portable propane generator. Vents, fan, sound dampener included. So it can run in the rain & be quieter as well. Exhaust extension as well. Each wall is heavy enough that when combine I doubt any wind could ever move it.

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[worthless]

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If it is a tin shed it will amplify the noise, but if you use foil backed foam for insulation it will go a long way in deadening the sound.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  4. STANGF150

I work in Wood when building. Heavy, dense wood!! An I overbuild every thing I ever build. Sides are what I call deck boards, basically 1"x6" & 2x4s. Vents like from a home system to allow air flow but hopefully block rain. Still not sure exactly what I'll put on the thick plywood that is going to make the roof. Right now its just 4 separate walls in my workshop, that I have to assemble a bit to see exactly how tall the door needs to be, as well as other cut outs.

Heres the YouTube Vid that told me how to do the exhaust extension, though I'm not doing it 100% the same since mine going to be enclosed!

Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. STANGF150

Okay, modular generator shed is built. Wall have Anti-Fatigue Mat for sound insulation. All thats left is whatever I'm going to put on top of the thick plywood roof for weather protection. An I still need to do the exhaust extension with it's exiting the shed hole. Waiting on my exhaust flex pipe from Amazon to get here as no matter what local stores I tried, none had it in 1" sizes!!! After I do that work I'll test it out with next month's generator exercising/monthly test run. Granted its not the prettiest thing, but I build for durability, not precision woodwork. When I run it next month, aka: a few weeks, I'll see if I can get sum pics!

techsar, SB21, nkawtg and 1 other person like this.
  6. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I have seen really large, and likely expensive mufflers on generators that fishermen use when night fishing. Might look around on the fishing forums. They're stuck on the boat with the generator, so they've put some thought into noise reduction.

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  7. I would worry that vibration of a 1" pipe that long would cause damage to the gen set. Mount your muffler rigidly, flex tubing between it and a short barb on the gen set exhaust port. BTW, thanks for buying CAT. That logo pays my pension.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I did NOT know that Cat builds the Champion gensets (Post 5)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. I don't know who builds them, I just saw the logo. Are they retailed through CAT dealers?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. STANGF150

Not going to have an 18" long pipe. As the video shows you can cut it off & use the exhaust flex pipe like I've ordered.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

I went into a transition to a full size vehicle muffler after coming out of the engine exhaust and a 90 degree elbow upwards - my flex pipe is like 2" and available anywhere ....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. nkawtg

nkawtg Monkey+++

Did that muffler make much difference?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. Bandit99
  4. DKR
  5. Bishop
  6. Murfylang
  7. BailyTheFox