Generator question

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by SB21, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

When one resides in an area that is subjected to frequent interuptions in the public utility power source, a generator is a prudent backup.

When one lives well beyond the end of the power lines, well, a gen set is only part of your overall power system.

Gator 45/70, BTPost and Tully Mars like this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Honestly I don't give a crap about saving money when it comes to needing the ability to do something. If the power is out and I need to power something or repair something who gives a $#!t what it costs? If I need to work on one of the water wells on the back side of the property I'm going to fire up my engine driven truck and drive over then fire up my engine driven welder and do what needs to be done instead of dragging 1,100 feet of welding lead from my grid powered welder to where I need it..

Homer Simpson and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Right now, we are generating ALL our Electrical Power with a Single GenSet... We had a Radiator failure on one of our twin 20Kw Norther Lights Diesel Gensets.... The OverTemp Shutdown Switch had been disconnected, by who I do NOT know, but I caught it before the Engine was damaged, and got it cooled down, before it siezed up.. The Radiator Core has a small hole in the bottom Tank, New Radiator, both upper & Lower Hoses, and a New OverTemp Switch, should be on the MailPlane, tomorrow... It is a bit disconcerting not having a Ready Backup, but I do have a 125Kw Diesel Genset that powers the Dock Cranes & Lights in the winters, that I can bring online in about two hours... It sucks a lot more fuel than my Northern Lights does, but it. would get us by, until we can get something else setup...

4. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Goodness, BTPost, what do you run there, a small city? :)

5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Same sizing I use , 10Hp air comp , hoists & overhead cranes . It's the start up .

Sloth

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

My point was if someone is going to only ever weld out of there garage there is no point in getting an engine drive welder.
    If you need one you need one.
    I have both.
    But my engine drive welder was made by me and is DC only.

7. BTPost

Our Dock Cranes were powered by Diesel Hydrolic before, but the EPA wants NO Fuel lines over Salt Water, that are NOT Double Walled, so they switched to Electric Hydrolic, and when I noted that there was NO WAY I could run the 50Hp Dock Cranes without an Electrical Power Source, and I was NOT Qualified to Operated our 5 MegWatt Powerhouse, they bought a John Deer 125Kw Mobile Genset, on a trailer, and parked in in front of the Port Shop. Then wired it into the Dock Feed on the Load Side of the Disconnect Switch which is fed by the Main Cannery Buss, and is Lock out OPEN.... So to run off this source I need to disconnect My Powerhouse that Feeds the Main Cannery Buss thru a3 Kw Transformer and feeds an Inverter/Battery System, that runs the Telco System, down at the Office, in Winter Mode. Once I disconnect that Transformer Secondary from the Main Cannery Buss, I can then CLOSE the Dock Disconnect, and backed feed the Main Cannery Buss, clear back too my Powerhouse, and run my Place in Summer Mode... Getting all that setup takes about two hours, but it is doable, in an Emergency...

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It ain't obvious to the casual observer, Paul, but yes it is a SMALL city this time of year. One household until the barge comes in and needs unloaded in the spring, then the dock crane gets fired up and used until the "factory" staff shows up and the main power plant gets lit off. (BT will tell me I'm caught off base, I betcha, with a couple of those guesses.)

If you have Google Earth, do a lookup for Excursion Inlet, Alaska. It explains a LOT of what BT says.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  9. BTPost

The Breakup Crew comes in, in the Spring, a few days BEFORE the first Barge, arrives... We have Summer Power within 3 hours, of their arrival, and usually Summer Water, within the Second Day... The Main Powerhouse runs until "Lights Out Day" in the Fall, when the Last of the Cannery Crew, Leaves on the Last Plane Out....

Asia-Off-Grid and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  10. BTPost

and the rest of the Story..... My neighbor showed up at 9Am to help me put the South Genset back together.. First we installed the new Radiator Hoses, both upper and lower... then worked on installing the New Radiator. By 10: 30 that was mostly finished but i didn’t want to install the Grill & Top Cover, until I had the setup tested.... Hit the Starter Swich to crank over the Engine, and found the Battery had discharged significantly, over the period the Genset has been down, but it did crank a bit and the Fan wasn’t hitting the Radiator or Shroud, so the Install was Good, with no rubbibg... Went to fill the Radiator with Coolant, and dumped in a Gallon of Yellow Stuff, then went and got a Gallon of Rain Water, and just as I started to add it, my Buddy spotted a leak in the Thermostat Tank Gasket. We disassembled the Top Hose, and Thermostat Cover and found the Gasket, was basically Non-Existent.... So down to the Port Shop, looking for some Gasket Material to make a new Gasket... That took twenty Minutes but found a Stash of Gasket Material, and a new Tube of “Form-A-Gasket” and came back and traced the pattern on the material and cut it out... Decided to change out the bad OverTemp Switch, BEFORE adding any more Coolant, and then reassembled the Thermostat Tank, Thermostat, Gasket, and Cover, and reinstalled upper Radiator Hose... Added about half Gallom of water, and the Radiator was full... Battery was charged up by then so I hit the Glow Plug Switch, which is also the Safety OverRide, for 30 Seconds, and then hit the Starter... Crank, Crank, Varooom.. Just then I remembered that the Fuel and Return Lines were Shut Off, because there was a small leak in the Main Fuel Line right where in entered the Raycor Main Fuel Filter Housing. Shut it down, QUICK, and chopped an inch off the rubber Fuel Line where the Leak was, and opened the two Ball Valves on the Fuel and Return Lines, and then restated the Engine... Let it run Unloaded for 5 Hours to check for leaks or other issues, and everything looks good. Temp came up to 190F and melted a bunch of Snow just outside the Powerhouse where the Radiator blows... Checked Coolant Level, just Right... Tomorrow Morning, I will put this Genset OnLine and Under Load and watch it close for a few hours... then Run it till it’s 200 Hour LubeOil Change (another 54 Hours) and do an Oil Change... If no other issue pop up by then, I will consider this Job DONE.... Knock on Wood...

11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Well ,the moral of the story here , or the reason for the initial post , was I could possibly pick up a generator pretty cheap to try and run my welder. Well , after further intel gathering , I don't believe that generator is large enough to run my welder. But I was able to aquire the generator , for 75 bucks . Electric start and all . I may sell it and put the cash towards a bigger one , or just hag onto it for home backup . I need that anyway . Thanks everyone for their input , have a great day .

Gator 45/70 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  12. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

75 bucks
    I sold a 400 amp Lincoln with lots of hr's , I had to turn the field slip rings & rebrush it , fix a few other problems after welders tried to patch.
    A few grand to me & it's melting sticks for another welder.

TOO /TWO different prices & machines

13. The best and easiest way to do this is to simply make a conversion cord. Do this by buying a male cord end to fit the outlet on the generator, a female cord end to fit the welder, and a short piece of cord large enough to handle the amps on the generators outlet. Wire the cord ends and make the jumper cord. When complete start the welder at a very lowsetting and give it a try. If you over amp the welder the breaker on the generator will pop it and you will know that you can not go above that setting on the welder. Basically, you have to figure out what duty cycle you generator can handle from the welder. Duty cycle is like Time vs. Heat. Anyone can spout off the equations for figuring out the duty cycle before hand but this gets you there effectively.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7