Generator suggestions

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Minuteman, Sep 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

:lol: Trust me, sloth, he knows --

2. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

OK so here is the gist then. For just one air- con, lights etc I could probably get by with a 5-7. I know guys thAt have them in that range but they complain about the noise. I can hear my nieghbors when he starts his.
    I want auto start, water cooled. According to this company any, which came highly recommended, the lowest they have available with auto start is 12kw. I think when he surveyed the house he was factoring in all 5 of the split air-con units. Plus he had aused 25kw to move. He said it came from a business that had expanded and needed a bigger unit. So like I thought. The 25 is wAy more than I would need, but plenty to run the whole house without worrying about how much juice we were using.
    So it boils down to what is the lowest size they have that is water cooled. I left yesterday to go back to work so I will do some looking when I get back in two weeks.

Dunerunner and ghrit like this.
  3. awatkinson

awatkinson Monkey

Be sure the generator is a standard brand not Chinese. Sooner or later you will need parts. Kubota, Cummins, Perkins all large support systems. Yes water cooled are quieter. The enclosures are very important to noise control. Ideally you want it slight distance from house. It will smell bad on still days even if running perfect, particularly just after starting. If just a little wind it will be fine. Be sure you want an automatic transfer switch. If your wife can throw manual you save about $1000. and a lot of electronics that can go bad. You can easily turn it on and off remotely. You want extra power because when the power is off you want to turn on gen power and when it comes on you may have to "catch up" on things like water pressure, refrigeration, and these motors have surge draws 2-3 times maintenance. On the other hand if you had automatic you would have less of this problem. Usually there is 1/2 to one hour delay starting generator an switching. You want some brief delay if outage is just a glitch.

1. techsar
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Generator FAQ 2001

Generator FAQ, By Steve Dunlop. [img]