Genuinely Creepy Electronic Devices

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Yard Dart, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

The new generation of 'genuinely creepy’ electronic devices - Yahoo Finance

How big a security threat are your devices to you, in your own home?! What have you done to mitigate any threats if you do have these type of devices noted in the article or other similar devices?

Tully Mars, stg58 and Dont like this.
  2. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I have talked with some of my family about these tech. abilities and what their electronic devices may or may not be doing without their knowing it is going on. As I think about their responses, I can only assume they have been drinking koolaide..

pearlselby, Mountainman and Yard Dart like this.
  3. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Don't use any of that crap and never will.

Dont, my family is just like yours and thinks all this new technology is just so nice. [sheep]

pearlselby, Yard Dart and Tully Mars like this.
  4. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

I ditched the smart phone, dont use web cams or "connect" for the xbox or anything with a cameras really. I've heard about hidden cams and mics in smart tv's so mine is positioned to show nothing of importance in my house.
    been reading about this TOR stuff... still a little lost on how to use it but might have to learn quick...

Tully Mars, pearlselby and Yard Dart like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

They have corrupted Barbie!? The world really has gone to sh**.

Ganado, Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  6. Yard Dart

Now she is a .gov snooping ho....not just Ken's anymore. ;)

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

"Divorce Barbie" comes with all of her stuff AND all of ken's.

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

When they start exploiting children that should be a flag for most. Is Barbie going to be asking if Mommy & Daddy have a gun? What do Mommy & Daddy do for fun? This is bad. This is preparing children for a world where an anonymous machine interacts with them and just scary stuff. This is like something out of those dystopian young adult novels I read.

Google chrome and all that other stuff I do not have nor would I. I am the nut that thinks google is trying to take over the world. I swear I should get t-shirts made.

9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

10. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Just when you think you have heard it all. Thanks Kellory! lol

kellory likes this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I put a Rule in my Router, that does NOT allow packets from all my Smart Devices to get passed the Router, but just get Logged to a File... It was very interesting to see just what each was sending, and to whom, when they tried to "Phone Home" ..... Then I setup a new set of Rules for each Device, that limit which things each device was allowed to Phone Home. We do not use the Speech Input on the the Samsung Smart 3D TV, so any of those packets get put in the BitBucket. The same goes for any Quirries about Streaming Movies or Songs. I set up another set of Rules, for the Yamaha 3D BlueRay Player, and Yamaha AV Receiver, that are also connected to my IP Network, for control Via our iPads. Since these devices can share IP Packets, over the HDMI V1.4 Cables that connect them altogether, I needed to set Rules, for each device, in the Router. These Rules are set by both IP Address, and MAC Address, to catch any outgoing Packets that might be spoofed via a bogus IP Address, that could be Hardcoded in firmware, but caught by the Outgoing MAC Address that is fixed in the Ethernet Controller. We have WiFi, and BlueTooth, in the cabin, but all WiFi and BlueTooth connections are done by MAC Address, and those Devices are specifically excluded from connections by the Access Points. This is how I Limit, my devices from connecting, to the outside World, for things I do not know about......

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    Ganado, Motomom34, Tully Mars and 4 others like this.
  12. Yard Dart

Excellent methods BT!!

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

"Progressive Obama Voting Ken" got all new stuff when he moved out, so it's OK
    upload_2015-7-17_16-21-56.

Her new guy Joe, rumored ex Special Forces, threw all Ken's lame crap out anyway to make room for his gun collection.

14. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Sounds great BT, but way above my pay grade. Wish I understood more about that stuff.

15. Yard Dart

Agreed

Ganado likes this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Yeah, what @Tully Mars said. I read @BTPost's response twice and still confused.

@kellory I don't even want to know. LOL!
    @3M-TA3 sounds like Barbie hooked up with GI Joe.

17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It takes an IT Pro to understand what I wrote, but what it all means is that there are ways and means to deal with all these modern goodies.... And make them Family Safe...... And protect ones Family Privacy...

18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

@Motomom34 Yup, and not the six inch one, she got the real deal twelve incher...

Mountainman likes this.
  19. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

ohno

20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

You scared me... when I 1st saw this I thought you were going to say Ken and GIJOE were now getting married. What a waste that would be

Mountainman likes this.
  1. CraftyMofo
  2. Ganado
  3. HK_User
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. BelBol
  8. Bishop
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Yard Dart