German Surplus "Gore-Tex" rain gear.

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Jolly Roger, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger Patriotic Pirate

Just got done spending the weekend at Scavenger Flatbedder's place, we had a great time. Several of us got together to butcher his hog, swap info and gear, and fellowship. The weather was less than cooperative, but we had a great time anyway. I took along my German surplus "Gore-Tex" rain gear, since it was supposed to rain most of the weekend. True to the forecast, the temps were in the mid-thirties or so, with heavy rain much of the time and strong winds as well. We spent much of the time outdoors.

The German rainwear functioned flawlessly, keeping me bone dry the entire time, and blocking the gusty winds, as well. The bottoms are an overall-style, with suspenders built in to hold them up. This was a boon, as I wore bdu pants, a rigger's belt, and Carhartt overalls underneath. Yet another belt would have been uncomfortable, to say the least.

The jacket was great, as well, and fit me a bit better than the US-issue stuff I have. It seemed to drape a little better, making it more comfortable. The pockets were large enough to hold several items, including my sidearm, a Glock 22. In addition, with the uneven weight in the pockets on either side, I did not notice any pulling of the jacket to one side or the other. The hood is HUGE, making it a little unwieldy for use without a hat, but would be a blessing if one were to want to put it over a ball cap or other headgear. I tried wearing it over my boonie, just to see, and it worked fine, only pulling down the sides of the brim a little.

All in all, the suit seems very well thought out, and very durable, as well. Well worth the money I spent on it.

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Where did you get the German surplus gear?

3. Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger Patriotic Pirate

I think I got it from Sportsmen's Guide a few years ago. I have always used my US stuff until this get-together, but with the anticipated mud and hog-related mess, I thought I'd try out the German stuff, thinking that I would rather ruin that than my US stuff. Now I'm not so sure![dunno]

4. Scavenger Flatbedder

Scavenger Flatbedder Scavenging The Wasteland

I am going to get me a set.
    The camo is kinda cool too.

5. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Haven't tried the "german surplus", but I'm all into the gore tex. I used to have a pair of gore tex lined gloves for hunting, as well as a pair of gore tex boots. The stuff is like magic! They unfortunately got left behind in Missouri in a big pile of ashes. I need to get more.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7