Get Communication!!

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by SurvivalTech, Jun 12, 2012.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It can be. However, likely comms are more important than knowing how to can pig's feet. I think the intimidating part is that starting from scratch makes everyone feel dumb as a fire hydrant until getting started. The learning curve is (like riding a bike) pretty steep until you get your balance. (Now I need to get going on the radio license. The class is in September.)

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Tre, It isn't all that hard to do the Ham Radio route, these days. These is no longer a Morse Code Requirement, for ANY Ham Radio License. If 10 year old Kids can do it, a square thinking Adult should have no problems. There is a Website for Prep'ers that are looking to try for these Licenses, that I can turn you on to. All the guys were where you are now, just last year and many, are now, Extra Class Lisencees. They have a great encouraging attitude, and can get you motivated to finish the program. .....

3. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Hey Bruce I don't know if Tre wants that web site but I would like it please.

OGM

4. BTPost

http://www.preparedham.com/

I am a User down there, and they are a great bunch, interested in getting Prep'ers going in Ham Radio.....

Altoidfishfins and Brokor like this.
  5. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Thank you sir.

OGM

6. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

it's all multiple choice, and all the answers are on the internet. There's several places where you can take hundreds of practice tests and if your mind works like mine, you will be able to pass all three tests in a few weeks. You don't need to understand it, you just have to be able to pass the test. That's the biggest reason I don't think it was a good idea to drop the code test, now any idiot can get the highest ham license. I know, I did it.

BTPost likes this.
  7. Brian

Brian It is as you say

Nice site! I recently took a beginners course to emergency communications locally and it removed a lot of the intimidation factor with Ham radios and such. If you've been avoiding it because its seems too complicated or techy, try to find one close to you. I'd recommend someone from the preparedness community and not the local Ham club, if possible. I've found a lot of the local HAM guys will go way too much into the hobby side and not enough into how I personally can plan an emergency communications plan.

Brian

8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

BTPost That Baofeng UV-3R Mark II looks pretty sweet. Currently at $42 free shipping...might have to snag one.

9. ghrit

How about posting that quick and easy 10 meter antenna here, with pix?

Brokor likes this.
  10. BTPost

When I get back home, I will do that.

11. ghrit

'K, thanx.

12. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

Checked out the site and the reviews on those radios - thanks Bruce. I will add it to the 9 Motorola i560's I just cleared as working regarding chargers and ear piece / mikes. Now to get some time working with them in direct comm mode. And pick up a pair of these radios from that site. Truly looks like a wonderful value for the buck

1. DKR
  2. William Warren
  3. bumpshadow
  4. hitchcock4
  5. DKR
  6. Garand69
  7. Bandit99
  8. BTPost
  9. DKR
  10. BenP
  11. Hanzo
  12. Asia-Off-Grid