Getting a new dog

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AxesAreBetter, Sep 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Well...guess we are going there.... so Lola says How Do!! ;) 20180522_193041.

HK_User, BlueDuck, Meat and 4 others like this.
  2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

oh nooooez the forum is goin to the dawgz :D :D

[chopper][chopper]

HK_User, Meat, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Awe................Such a lovely lady right there Yard Dart!

HK_User, Cruisin Sloth, Meat and 3 others like this.
  4. Yard Dart

My daughter has a Newfie as well.... he likes to chase her around the yard a bit when he visits.
    She is not accommodating to him though....... :ROFLMAO:
    She gets a bit rowdy like a drunk girl looking for a fight when someone grabs her butt!!!

HK_User, Meat, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  5. Yard Dart

Lola is 145 lbs and is just the best dog ever.... not like my other Dane/Hound mix.
    She outweighs him by 30+ lbs and shuts his stuff down quick when it affects her calm.... LOL.
    My last male dane, Ranger, weighed in at 205 lbs.... :eek:

HK_User, Meat, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

God bless the Big Dogs! LOL

Alf60, HK_User, Meat and 5 others like this.
  7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Beautiful Pup ya got there ,,

HK_User, Meat, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Thanks a bunch, we sure do love the little wiggly bugger, and he is super smart! Amazing how that all works ain't it!

9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Does yours still think he's a lap dog ??

HK_User, Meat, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

YUP! And he sneaks up on the bed when ever he thinks he can get away with it, usually after the others have been kicked off! LOL

11. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

KIMG0156.

First day with scout KIMG0141.

HK_User, BlueDuck, Meat and 7 others like this.
  12. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

The single most important thing is to be CONSISTENT and remember if you don't want them doing something when they weigh 70+ pounds don't let them get away with it as a puppy. LOL like being on yer desk :) I have a pair of pit/aussie shep mixes that weigh 70 and 80 pounds that Ilet sleep on the corner of it when they were little pups. Now I have two good size dogs that still never miss a opportunity to move everything off my desk to the floor and stretch out on it. Three years into trying to break that bad habit I got started with them and we are just to the point they won't get on the desk if I am in the cabin. If I am outside and they are not, the desk is cleared and they are napping. Same as raising kids really but pups learn faster :)

Meat, Yard Dart, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  13. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

255E674E-E1AC-4EA7-BD78-2F936AE99549. I just go with the flow training dogs. A couple have basically trained themselves. This latest one is funny. It’ll growl at me when it wants something. The something can be almost anything. Roo is from the streets of Honolulu. Funny girl.

14. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Growling! Yup have one of those.
    Got him as a rescue dog, folks who had him did not figure out that was how he was trying to communicate.

Now he goes to DW, loves and growls, looks at her first then me and as she ask him if he needs something from me then go ask.

Of course that is my cue to chime in and ask him the important questions, he smiles and is off to what ever destination needed.

We are His Pack.

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  15. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

^^^^Aww. I could post about dogs everyday. Mine have done amazing things for my mental health.

Ganado, Yard Dart, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Whelp...came home with 2 today...will post pics sometime soon. Same litter, but I now have a handle how to keep troubles from starting thanks to y'all!
    Both are female, ended up with the smart one and the sweet one, REALLY happy by how well behaved they are, and how well they are integrating into the family. Rode in the car like they were born there, already have their names mostly learned, got them on collars and leashed this afternoon, and are fairly house trained,so...not bad for a free pair of pups.

Gator 45/70, Ganado, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  17. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I was trying to figure out how Henry knew which day of the week it was. His behavior is different in the mornings, Friday through Sunday. Today he got up and was staring at me until I threw the Carhartt bibs on. He then jumped into my chair and never moved again. Poor Henry. :D

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

[worthless]

SB21, Meat and oldawg like this.
  19. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Update:
    THANKS AGAIN!!! The tips are paying off big time! Especially the littermate syndrome, which lead me to a few other useful tricks to speed everything up! Got them half trained on, like, 6 directional commands, got the point across on a hand full of others, and got them walking well on the leash. And one of them only whimpers when it is time to go outside, so we have a built in signal that has worked flawlessly so far, which is super neat.
    Getting them fed up, and rested, and it's looking like we have a pair of keepers on our hands! Tomorrow, kennel toys and maybe something to chase with the kids.

...and I am trying to get the boss to help me get some pics up...

Gator 45/70, Meat and Ganado like this.
  20. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

00A5970B-FA7A-47E7-AC44-493CF6D3B9FB. 9C9D2592-7630-4AF8-B7AE-0F47082A7CF9. Henry is about to get eaten by a Rottweiler. Peter likes a stick. Lol. :D

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. TnAndy
  2. Bishop
    Thread

best dog.

I swear I have the best dog ever. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jun 6, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: General Discussion
  3. AxesAreBetter
  4. Thunder5Ranch
  5. Bishop
  6. OldDude49
  7. Bishop