Getting ready for Tropical storm Gordon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oddcaliber, Sep 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Andrew is really the one that almost got me!

techsar likes this.
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Just to be clear, I didn't "like" that it almost got you....

Fran washed away where I used to live...fortunately I moved 18 months before....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

It's all good, This one is where I saw the walls breath and the ceiling heave, Never again, I will leave if at all possible!

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

During the at sea hurricane, I woke up in the Radar Room. Got up, realised the hatch was on the deck at my feet! Opened it and looked DOWN into the ET office! Eewwww....... Can't believe my little ship righted itself from that. We should have sunk.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If you've been through a few events you take more seriously the potential water level in a given area.
    And you don't invest there, even if it a price to hard to pass up .

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Well, as tropical storms go, Gordon was pussy. I wrote a cool song and recorded it during the worst f of it.

Oddcaliber, Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

While your naming them,,,,Hazel was pretty bad,,,,,before my time , but my paw and grandpaw told me about them,,,The flooding from Floyd was really bad , my grandparents lost everything in that one. Good luck to all.

8. SoaySheep

SoaySheep Monkey

Check your specs and the wind speeds to see if they can withstand winds that fast. You might have to disable them during bad storms

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. SoaySheep

SoaySheep Monkey

Just a question for people in hurricane paths. Do people generally not have functioning shutters? I would think that would be standard construction in those parts? I've never lived in a hurricane prone area, but in tornado areas it's standard with all good builders to use hurricane straps to tie joists together and to subfloors besides the normal fasteners

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Watch out for hurricanes with old folks/country names... Hazel, Donna, Hugo, Fran, Floyd, Matthew, Florence....

Oddcaliber, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Wind Turbines?

None here but I just built a static breather for the storm shelter.
    I calculate it will take a huuuuuuge Tornado and survive.

Pictures later, the last part is coming in tomorrow.
    Designed to resist small Bugs to winds of 200 milers and it will work just fine.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I built a house at Oak Island NC in 2015 ,,,,, the beach codes do require a lot more joist hangers and wall ties . There are many different shutter designs and types for hurricane force winds ,but they do get expensive . It was required to have hurricane coverings for all windows , and doors with windows for final inspections . Window's for homes in the beach ares do require a heavier duty glass for higher wind loads as well . And these wind load rated materials , windows , doors , shingles , etc , the rating requirements start dropping for homes just 3-5 blocks back from the beachfront .Older homes didn't require these coverings , it was just a good idea to have them . I talked to a friend of mine down there this morning , he said they are under mandatory evacuation's , and you have to get a pass prior to leaving so you will be allowed back in the area after the storm , depending on how bad it is . He said they are expecting 12 to 15 foot storm surges . Stay safe ya'll .

13. HK_User

Building codes change and new products help improve survival.
    Yet I find it difficult to purchase insurance for our home which is built of steel reinforced concrete. The Insurance Companies are way out of date and any thing that is Tagged as non conventional style will get Axed by the Insurance Industry long before it is damaged by a storm.

I will never live in a stick built House!

Zimmy, SB21, SoaySheep and 1 other person like this.
  14. SoaySheep

SoaySheep Monkey

yeah, I had a bank claim that radiant floor heating was an unproven technology and had nothing to say when I said the Roman baths using radiant floor heating were still in use from 2000 years ago

15. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

One of the strange things about building codes and insurance companies. The insurance companies are the ones that are influencing the building codes. So when they decline a claim,,they're likely declineing their own decision on a code.

16. HK_User

A few states have overridden Insurance Companies desire to protect codes that allow damage to a home.
    After all if it is proven that a certain design will survive 90% of storms then logic says that design will drive down insurance rates.
    Not something the Big Guys want, they work on fear of loss, to increase rates each year.
    It's all in the math

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  17. HK_User

Here is the High Wind Speed Storm Shelter Breather Cap.
    Breather Cap 8.
    DSCF2866.JPG DSCF2873.JPG DSCF2871.JPG DSCF2867.JPG DSCF2868 (2).JPG DSCF2870.JPG Breather Cap 8. Here is the High Wind Speed Storm Shelter Breather Cap.
    Specs are pretty simple design of mine, a 6 sided cap made from 14 gauge galvanized steel, with internals of a Trash Suction Basket, very fine insect screen secured in place with stainless steel tie wire. The assembly is then screwed into 3 inch Schedule 40 pipe that was cast in place when the shelter was built.

Any questions just ask.

18. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Is the filter NBC rated? LOL

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. HK_User

The inside has a couple of "valves" that I designed for safety.
    Designed as a Blow Out prevention aka Hand Grenade Trap.

Wouldn't want a gallon of gas to flow in by "accident"!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    SB21, Zimmy, Oddcaliber and 2 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7