Getting ready to plant potatoes

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by ~kev~, Feb 4, 2008.

1. ~kev~

~kev~ Monkey+++

Its time to cut your potatoes and get them ready to plant - OR, soak them in some water to get them to sprout. But either way - next weekend and in 2 weeks my potatoes are going in the ground. Next weekend the butter potatoes are being planted, and in 2 weeks the red skin potatoes are being planted.

Potatoes are your friend - unlike a lot of other crops, potatoes can be eaten at any phase of development.

An experiment is currently going on, 2 potatoes cut in half and set in a layer of water, and 2 potatoes with tooth picks suspended in water.
    [​IMG]

January 26th - 2 potatoes cut in half and set in a dish of water.
    [​IMG]

One week and one day later - February 3rd. These potatoes are sprouting faster then the potatoes at room temp with no water.
    [​IMG]

The sprouts on these potatoes are past ready to plant. You do not have to wait until they look like this to plant.
    [​IMG]

Eyes cut into sections.
    [​IMG]

Let these dry for a week or two and they will be ready to plant. Potatoes with just one sprout are planted whole.
    [​IMG]

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. the dog

the dog Monkey+++

its to early for me to plant taters.but it is on my mind....it wont be long though.how many hills are you going to plant??? i would like to try some of the purple potatoes and the finger ones.but red pontiac and kennbec are my favorite so far.....NO YUKON GOLD......lol...yuk

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

snowed again yesterday... thanks for the potato primer...I didn't know the water and dish method...

4. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

OK, I didn't know about the soaking part, I don't remember that when I was growing up. I remember just planting "cubes" of potatoes into the ground, without sprouts.

Potatoes are something that want to grow this year. Can I just get a bag from the store, sprout 'em, and plant 'em?

Thanks

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Try urinating on them.

6. <exile>

<exile> Padawan Learner

What variety are those? peetatoes?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7