Getting Started with Solar

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Nadja, Feb 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Good question. For quite sometime I have been taking your postings across the forum as condescending. I am not sure why because I am not thin skinned by any means. Maybe I have more in common with you than I realize, in that I am seeing myself and am not liking what I see. That would be my only guess why I am butting heads with you. I definitely am not here to disrupt the harmony of the forum, too many good people with lots of expertise advise in most facets of life.

BTPost and Nadja like this.
  2. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

If I did come across that way, I am sorry. Sometimes a lot of the questions are not explicit or I may not quite understand the actual intent. It is something that just happens. Sometimes what we are thinking and what we type out are not always the same. Nadja

ColtCarbine and BTPost like this.
  3. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

No worries, it was all probably me.

4. CRS762

CRS762 Monkey

Hi I am new here and not off grid but grid-tie. But have had solar for about 3 years.
    As the others mentioned build toward expanding. I installed mine at 2 seperate times
    These are the components that I am familar with:
    1- Xantrex 4548 Inverter Charger
    1- Xantrex XW SCC 60 Amp Charge Controller
    18- Kyocera 205 Watt Panels
    The next year
    1- Xantrex 6048 Inverter Charger
    2- Xantrex XW SCC Charge Controllers
    36- REC 230 Watt Panels
    Plan to go with the highest voltage your inverter will produce.
    18 panels x 205w = 3690 total max watts divided 48 volts = 76 amps
    A Charge controller is good for 60 amps and cost $500.00
    18 panels x 205w = 3690 total max watts divided 24 volts = 153 amps
    You will need 2 charge controllers.

5. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

Alright nadja, Andy, rsb, bt, and new guy;.....................................................I'm looking at moving to Colorado in may, most likely, solar only.. My fav property pic, is a solar only house already setup... Minus panels and batts....................................................I haven't yet perused the house with my own eyes (just standard realtor pics), but it looks like he set it up somewhat rightish, using RV propane/DC reefers and a pretty HD inverter...............................................
    My questions for now are about batts and panels, wheres the best places to start looking for good deals on good equip (20+ yr / industrial rated stuff)? I have a tri-fuel genny, and also plan on using wind generators as well, if anyone has any recommendations for those...............
    Once I get to the property in may, and can take more pics, I will have more specific questions concerning the setup and yalls recommendations on the matter. Will greatly appreciate any recommendations y'all can give me..............and uh, what's yalls thoughts of the effects of an emp blast on the panels and batts? Just curious..;)

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Batteries come from the local Distributer, like Trojan, and Interstate, or Exide. You can get L16s, or T105s for smaller systems, or you can go for the Big Boys, like Forklift Batteries, which have double the capacity of the previous batteries. They also cost twice as much.... Batteries are sold, basically, for the Lead content, the more they weigh, the more they cost. A fair sized Battery Bank for a medium, to large system is going to run you from $3K to $5K just for the Batteries. Then you are going to want Solar Panels. They are going to cost you just under $2US/Watt, IF you buy in bulk. Charge Controller is another $700US for a Good OutBack FM80. Still think you can afford the system, and that doesn't include any installation costs. ..... YMMV...

7. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

Thanks BTPost, yeah, I can afford the system..
    Its not an "alternative" that we are looking at, its going to be a "way of life".. lol

I figured it was going to be minimum of $10k, to get a good quality system.

I'm more looking for direction as to where to find the best products, and best prices. So that we only have to do this bulk purchase once, with as little regret as possible.

My wife's a degreed engineer, I'm in the engineering field, our nearby friends are engineers, and another good friend is an industrial electrician.. We are all jeepers and mechanically inclined.. I don't anticipate any "installation" costs..

8. BTPost

Good enough... If your in the sticks and have land, then first thing you want to do is register a Business License. This allows you to setup Business Accounts with the Major Distributers, right from the "getgo"... No sense, paying someone else Retail, when you can buy Wholesale. This is what I did 40 years ago, when I started Bruce'sTrading Post.... I buy Batteries at wholesale, and I can get Panels at wholesale on occasion, If i look around hard enough. ..... YMMV...

9. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

LLC already setup, actually..
    I quit my job in Dec and started my own company, and any improvements on the land will be for the operation of said company. Company needs electricity to operate, and then we can get greeny tax breaks, to continue providing a service in the hydrocarbon retrieval industry.. Gotta love irony.

The biz acct was a good call, hadn't crossed my mind yet.. thanx

10. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Depends on how much you want to produce/use.

I've got about $30k in mine, to produce about 500kw/hrs/month, and the 1200amp/hr battery bank was basically free.

Emp effect on panels/batteries, I suspect little to none. Charge controller(s) and inverter(s), I suspect would be wiped out.....which, in effect, would mean the panels and batteries would be nearly useless. REALLY good prep would include spare CC/inverter at a minimum, in a Faraday box.

11. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

I was looking at 2 pallets of these sharp panels;
    Solar Cell, Solar Panel, Solar PV, Solar Products, Charge Controllers, Solar Trackers

and maybe a stack of these batts;
    Solar Cell, Solar Panel, Renewable Energy, Wind Energy, Charge Controller, Solar Trackers - Solar Cell, Solar Panel, Solar PV, Solar Products, Charge Controllers, Solar Trackers

with the batts, theres so many choices.. it will probably be a couple of months before I have a decision made on what would be best..

The solar panels are an easy choice, from what I gather, basically anything thats been in the biz for a while, not made exclusively in china?
    kyocera and sharp are my top pics for quality right now, although these astroenergy's are pretty cheap
    Solar Panels from Wholesale Solar

I would like to do it properly, the first time..
    I wouldn't mind doing a little work and getting stuff for free, or inexpensively used, but, sometimes its just easier to buy new and set it up all at once.. This is if we purchase the property that is solar only.. Otherwise (gridded property) I will not need to have it all setup at once, and will probably take the piecemeal approach and tie the panels and batts in as I go..

I plan on having basic backup electrical controllers and converters, maybe not in a faraday box, but I do have a backhoe and plan on making good use of it. ;)

I guess, I am asking for someone to tell me if I am on the right track or not..

12. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Yep....those Absolytes are great batteries. I got 3 sets of them for 400 bucks, two new, one in float service about 5 years. About 30k worth of batteries based on the prices in your link. I would never have been able to afford them unless a buddy that works at a cell phone company that was selling out hit me with that deal.

ry%3D400

Cephus and BTPost like this.
  13. CRS762

CRS762 Monkey

You are on the right track. Those batteries should be great and panels also.
    I bought my first group of Kyocera 205 watt from wholesale solar 3 years ago, prices have come down since then. What is your choice of inverter and charge controllers going to be. Backup inverters/ charge controllers in a faraday cage would wise if a guy had the money.

14. CRS762

CRS762 Monkey

Thats a sweet deal on those batteries. I could use some more battery power. If he knows anyone around Louisiana selling some i would be interested. I saw a guy selling some similar on here from orlando, fl.

15. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

I havent even begun to look at controllers and inverters. Prolly will soon though.

Faraday cage, yeah, I got some ideas on that, implementing said ideas is another thing.. Lol

16. BTPost

Check out the Service shops around that service electric forklifts... they routinely send Battery Packs back for refurbishing, and maybe a deal could be cooked, for a good used 1200 AmpHour 48 Vdc Pack.... .... YMMV....

CRS762 and Cephus like this.
  17. jreb357

jreb357 Monkey+

Solar power and EMP

I am considering installing a solar back-up system for living off the grid in the event of an economic collapse. The problem is that an EMP would render it useless. Any thoughts?

jreb357
    SurvivalDisasterPlan.com

18. BTPost

Well, as far as EMP, that is a very speculative statement you made.... Search some of the EMP threads I have posted to over the last couple of years, and read them... There is a lot of Wild A**ed Speculation being foisted off as FACTS, when it comes to EMP/CME Issues and damage, should an actual event take place... If you had a Backup Inverter in an EMP Proof storage you will be fine.... Not likely to effect the Panels themselves especially if you have them properly Grounded, in the first place. The inverter may, or may NOT, be effected, by an EMP, depending on a lot of factors that you can't control. (Distance, Hight of Detonation, Terrain in between, Power Density at your location, ect) It is NOT a given, by any stretch, that ANY or ALL electronic equipment will Fail, due to EMP, or CME.... ..... YMMV....

TnAndy and Nadja like this.
  19. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

I would agree with BTPost on this all the way. I myself, have a back up inverter and two charge controllers that will soon be in a Faraday cage or box. I also stocked up on blocking diodes, which are the most likely thing to fail in a solar panel itself. Cheap now, but later, probably not even if you could find some. There has been so much about this that it is more confusing than anything else. I have a friend that is an electrical engineer with Nasa and he told me that all you need for the panels is the diodes (about $1.00 ea.) Now, panels all have different amounts on them . They are the little transistor looking things inside of your junction box on the back. They are to stop your panels from pulling power out of your batteries at night. In other words , a one way track

20. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

has anyone tested theirs against an EMP?
    How do you separate fact from foist?
    ccc..

1. Navyair
  2. Cwmoore
  3. CrazyJs
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid