Getting the (non) Electric bill is now fun.....

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by TnAndy, Feb 28, 2012.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

$14.50 credit last month

Guy just read it few minutes ago, and I estimate about a 21 buck credit this month. ( Solar produced 587kw/hrs.....we bought an additional 402 )

Hoping for a 300 buck end of the year check 2012 compared to $101 for 2011.

2. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Gee Andy, with all that money coming back from the elec. co. you could pay for all your solar in about 100 years or so . Good for you. Maybe now, some people thinking of going a grid tie system will get a better idea of what it takes to almost make nothing from it.

bountyhunter likes this.
  3. Matteo10572

Matteo10572 Monkey+

How much do you get charged for electricity? How much do they pay you for electricity? Is there any difference between yours and theirs?

4. TnAndy

I get charged retail rate of 9 cents/kw/hr. That adjusts slightly up/down quarterly. They pay retail+12 cents for all my solar production....10 year contract.

What it means is if you can produce a bit over half your use, you have a zero bill. More than that, a credit. Any credit at the end of the year results in a refund check.

Nadja:

Well, no electric bill + 300 end of the year means about a 1500-1800 buck savings per year.

After federal tax credit, I figure I have about 20k in my system, so the "payback" is around 12 years, assuming electric rates don't go up over the next 10 years.

Had I gone with a grid tie ONLY system, no batteries, I figure you could easily get in the 6-8 year range ( maybe less ) for a self installed system.

larryinalabama likes this.
  5. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Based on my research, we do not get a refund check in Oregon just a credit.

Will the utility pay me for my solar production? — Solar Oregon

Currently all homeowners and businesses in Oregon operate under a system of Net Metering where the utility will not pay you for your excess power generation. Instead they offer a one to one credit for every kWh produced above what you use which is sent to the grid.

6. TnAndy

Yeah, in States that do that, you'd need to size a system real careful so you don't produce an excess and give it to them for free.

7. strunk

strunk Monkey+

Or you invest in batteries and don't tie to the grid.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7