'Ghost ship' off Canada heralds arrival of tsunami debris

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Mar 27, 2012.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I'd be ok for music for insomniacs

I DID say that Adrien Cronauer would be a better option...but if you have a Gregorian Chant Hour I could probably do it justice ; )

tulianr likes this.
  2. carly28043

carly28043 Monkey+

You guys have forgotten something important! The flag!!!! Gotta have a cool flag.

3. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

The one flying over the White House belongs to us... think it would do very nicely.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Flag...... If we could get Seacowboys to go get the ship, since he is already a self-considered Pirate, by many of his peers, I would think the Jolly Roger would be appropriate.... and it would be even more appropriate to use that when taking on the Sea Shepard Idiots, who seem to think they are in that class of mariners, as depicted by their LOGO. They would be in for a RUDE Awakening, should a Prep'er Pirate Craft decide to teach them what being a REAL Pirate Ship is all about..... ...... YMMV.....

Alpha Dog likes this.
  5. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Flying south to Florida for Sun&Fun one year, I picked up an ADF transmission that pointed out to the Atlantic. He played a lot of Led Zepplin, and cussed alot during breaks. Too bad I was flying in a Cessna Cardinal at 160+ mph, I would have liked have listened to him a bit longer.

That was the first and only time I ever heard pirate radio.

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  6. iceman121

iceman121 just starting

am i just missing something? I only skimmed the article. Why can't the ship be boarded, started, and piloted back to home port?

7. BTPost

I suspect it could, if the Boarding Party, has a Japanese Interpreter on board, as well as a Master Salvor, and there is sufficient Diesel Fuel, and Main Engine LubeOil, still in the main Fuel, and LubeOil Tanks. That is why we would need Seacowboys, as our Salvage Skipper, as these things aren't as easy as just climbing aboard, and starting things up. Batteries would need to be recharged, and remember, this thing has been bobbing around the Pacific for over a year, unattended. It is a lot easier to tow it back to Port, than to try and resurrect it on the High Seas. ...... YMMV.....

ghrit likes this.
  8. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Easy? What's ever been easy bout doing things the monkey way

9. carly28043

carly28043 Monkey+

I think they are onto the plan.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/ne...japanese-ghost-ship-adrift-off-alaskan-shores

An unmanned Japanese fishing vessel that was cast adrift following last year’s devastating earthquake and tsunami has likely seen its last day as the U.S. Coast Guard makes plans to sink the vessel as it nears the shores of Alaska.

A U.S. Coast Guard cutter vessel was en route to Japanese ship’s location Wednesday night and the rusted vessel could be sent to the bottom as early as Thursday.

“The plans are to utilize a Coast Guard cutter to get to the vessel [Wednesday],spend the night along side with the vessel,where [Thursday] they can assess its condition … and scuttle it at sea,” U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer David Mosley said Wednesday night. “Our cutters are armed and this vessel has got two different types of chain-gun systems onboard … and the intention is to utilize one of those systems to strategically put holes in the hull of the ship to cause it to sink.”

Mosley said weather and sea conditions could affect the timing of the operation,so no firm timetable has been established.

The Japanese vessel —named Ryou-Un Maru —was about 300 kilometres southwest of Sitka, Alaska,on Wednesday night.

Mosley said there was no intention for officials to board the Japanese ship because the structural integrity of that vessel cannot be verified and could pose an unnecessary risk should somebody board it.

The sinking is being carried out for the safety of commercial shipping in the region.

“The vessel is an immediate hazard and danger to commercial shipping,” Mosley said. “It is in active shipping lanes and the vessel is unattended,it’s unlit and we don’t want to have an incident at sea where another vessel were to collide with it.”

The intact,65-metre “ghost ship” was first spotted March 20 off Haida Gwaii,B.C.,by an airplane contracted by the federal government. It was not thought to pose an environmental risk as it was not leaking fuel.

“It’s been drifting across the Pacific for a year, so it’s pretty beat up,” said marine search co-ordinator Jeff Olsson of Victoria’s Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre.

Air crews swooped down to survey the decks and signal any potential occupants —but received no replies. Canadian authorities used the vessel’s hull numbers to track down its Japanese owner,who confirmed nobody was aboard. “We know nobody’s in danger,” Mr. Olsson said.

The vessel is the first verified debris to reach the West Coast since the earthquake and tsunami hit Japan on March 11,2011,although more debris of varying sizes is expected to reach the region.

10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Seems to me I heard on the radio news that the ship was sunk by the coast gaurd today.
    game over.

11. BTPost

Yea, the Blue Water Coasties, from Sitka, went out and played with their Deck Guns, and blew nice holes in the waterline and sank it..... Oh well, there goes our Monkey Pirate Ship.... Who knows, there may be a few more out there, floating around... maybe next time....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7